• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Brora 22 yo Single Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Brora 1981 22 yo Signatory Cask Strength Single Malt, Metal can packaging, oval big mouth bottle, 112.8 proof, about $130.

Brora%201981.JPG

When is Brora not Brora? When it is Clynelish. The distillery was originally called Clynelish when first built in 1819 and remained that until it closed in 1969. Meanwhile, in 1967 a new distillery broke ground nearby and it was called Clynelish too when it opened in 1970. The old Clynelish reopened in 1975 under the name Brora before finally closing for good in 1983. Brora was known to produced the most peaty malt of the Highlands. Its nickname was "The Lagavulin of the North" and that came in handy to limit the consequences of the lack of malt for blends due to temporary closing of Caol Ila for refurbishment in 1974. Finally in 1983 the old distillery was shuttered since the increase production of true Islay whiskies diminished the need for an Islay style Highland malt.

This particular bottle was distilled on 08/18/81 and bottled on 06/10/04 as bottle #292 of 611 from a sherry butt #1561. It is unchillfiltered and uncolored in any way.

This has a
very nice nose with a complexity from ripe fruit to new leather filtered through sherry hints. The first taste is really sweet, with a bit of acidity at the end. In the mouth, the first impression is rather dry, followed by acidic fruity notes but not the strenght of the alcohol. At the end a touch of peat shows up. This has a warm and relatively long finish with sherry notes and some fruity hints peaking around the strength of the alcohol, which was strangely absent in the initial tasting. At the very end a bit of salt shows up almost like a true Islay dram!

Overall, a somewhat unique drink in the manner of Bowmore but with a certain Highlands smoothness and refinement. While this bottling is still available there are a number of excellent bottlings besides this one that will be a treat for any scotch fan. Buy and taste history before it's too late. :thumbs:

AVB-

While I am not a scotch fan, I must admit that your reviews have forced me to reconsider. Great review and history lesson!

Rob

You know I'm here for ya. ;)

AVB-

While I am not a scotch fan, I must admit that your reviews have forced me to reconsider. Great review and history lesson!

Rob

Great review AVB. I started looking around and found a local shop that claims they have Brora Old 13yr and a Brora 1972 both priced at about 75$. I'm going to try and make a trip across town and see for myself.

A 1972 Brora for $75? You'll have to LMK more info about this. Bottler, age, packaging all that good stuff.

Exellent review, as always Ray.
Have had this on a couple of occassions in the past, though I do not have any in my arsenal. I agree completely with your take on it.

A 1972 Brora for $75? You'll have to LMK more info about this. Bottler, age, packaging all that good stuff.
Made a call to them today and it was to good to be true. They claim that they had them but are out now, of course. He did say they have some very interesting independent bottlings so I may have to check that out when I go.

Yeah I was thinking it was too good to be true to start with but one never knows.

Made a call to them today and it was to good to be true. They claim that they had them but are out now, of course. He did say they have some very interesting independent bottlings so I may have to check that out when I go.