• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Advice for Cuban cigar buyers

moki

el Presidente
Given the amazing number of posts in this forum from folks who are wondering whether the cigars they just bough are fakes or not, this is a public service announcement. :)

If you've followed these threads, you're aware that 99% of the questioned cigars end up being fake. As such, here's my advice:

1) If you're not in a La Casa Del Habano, don't buy Cuban cigars while on vacation

2) If your "source" is in Miami, don't buy cigars from them

3) If your source has a friend/relative/associate/whatever that works in a cigar factory in Cuba, do not buy cigars from them

4) If you're buying cigars online, and you're not extremely sure of the vendor's credentials, do not buy cigars from them

5) Do not buy "Cuban" cigars from someone you don't know on eBay, yahoo, etc.

6) If you aren't very sure of what the real deal is, trade with an experienced board member who does before you plunk down your cash anywhere else

7) Finally, the old maxim of "If it sounds too good to be true, then it is" is applicable; look up the prices of various cigars, and if the price you're being asked to pay is significantly lower, this is a huge tip-off that the cigars are not genuine.

I don't want to see any of the purveyors of fake cigars be financially rewarded for peddling their junk, but more importantly, I don't want to see folks here getting ripped off.

My source was referred to me by a friend who claimed he was a cigar aficionado, i learned the hard way this friend knew less than i did. It's very humbling to find out you've been a sucker, and that you really don't know jack squat about cigars.

So if you're wanting to get some ISOM's, heed Moki's advice, don't get played for a fool like i did.

Hey guys.... I got this friend who has an uncle in Miami who use to work in a cigar factory that has an ebay site that can get us half price on any Cubans!!! :whistling: He keeps them in his garage in New Jersey... :rolleyes:

1) If you're not in a La Casa Del Habano, don't buy Cuban cigars while on vacation

Worth noting that even a LCDH does not guaranty authenticity. I have seen all kinds of things at the local one in Panama, including Cohiba Esplendidos boxes side by side in different shapes/designs of wood, boxes from a known-fake series of fakes here that have unusual wood grain and no factory codes, EL's in incorrect box type, etc. It depends a lot on local management apparently.

Hey guys.... I got this friend who has an uncle in Miami who use to work in a cigar factory that has an ebay site that can get us half price on any Cubans!!! :whistling: He keeps them in his garage in New Jersey... :rolleyes:
NICE! I've had my eye on a glass-top Cohiba humidor. Can you hook me up?

Worth noting that even a LCDH does not guaranty authenticity. I have seen all kinds of things at the local one in Panama, including Cohiba Esplendidos boxes side by side in different shapes/designs of wood, boxes from a known-fake series of fakes here that have unusual wood grain and no factory codes, EL's in incorrect box type, etc. It depends a lot on local management apparently.
Good point, arf. I've even heard of the occasional questionable item in the LCDH's in Mexico.

Can't wait to see first hand some of these strange birds you mentioned. :thumbs:

Wilkey

As always moki looking out for the B/SOTL, thanks those are real easy tips to remember and live by. :thumbs:

Damn are you telling me that my housekeepers, brothers girlfriends, mother is SCAMING ME. Say it ain't so ... the cigars have a label that say COHEBA on it???? I can't believe someone I know would actually try to take my money like that :rolleyes: :(

Great post Count Moki, you bring up some excellent points not to mention the obvious.

Bye the way isn't buying CUBAN cigars illegal :whistling:

Adjust using rules 4, 6, and 7 accordingly :)

Also, for people buying in Canada be very careful. There are only 2 shops that I trust to make my purchases with. I know the owners personally in both of those cases. A lot of shops up here will buy "Cubans" from their customers and re-sell them at the regular prices. (and I don't assume they are tax paid either) I have seen fakes at all of the shops I have been to except for the 2 that I deal with.

Damn are you telling me that my housekeepers, brothers girlfriends, mother is SCAMING ME. Say it ain't so ... the cigars have a label that say COHEBA on it???? I can't believe someone I know would actually try to take my money like that :rolleyes: :(
Sorry to say, you've been scammed. Everyone knows there's two E's in Coheeba.

Good point, arf. I've even heard of the occasional questionable item in the LCDH's in Mexico.

Can't wait to see first hand some of these strange birds you mentioned. :thumbs:

Wilkey

I know for a fact I saw a partagas EL 2006 in a gold/blue/red paper box there in October or November, don't recall what the vitola name was but the 2006 EL (SD#3) comes in a wooden box afaik.....

Wilkey

I know for a fact I saw a partagas EL 2006 in a gold/blue/red paper box there in October or November, don't recall what the vitola name was but the 2006 EL (SD#3) comes in a wooden box afaik.....
That's right. A plain wood SBN-25.

Wilkey

Also, for people buying in Canada be very careful. There are only 2 shops that I trust to make my purchases with. I know the owners personally in both of those cases. A lot of shops up here will buy "Cubans" from their customers and re-sell them at the regular prices. (and I don't assume they are tax paid either) I have seen fakes at all of the shops I have been to except for the 2 that I deal with.

Very true drew. There are a couple of places in Halifax that have REAL cigars like Sieverts Limited and Jon Alan's Cigar Emporium BUT there are shops in Nova Scotia that pull the same crap that you mentioned. ;) They usually have a very limited variety, gee I wonder why?

partagasopen2lp.jpg