• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New pipe

IgwanaRob

I'm just 2 people short of a threesome
'Way back' in November when I bought my first pipe and all the paraphernalia to go with it, CUP O' JOES was one of the 3 company's I placed an order with. I specifically wanted this awesome looking Peterson Racing Green B10 pipe, but they didn't have any in stock and put it on back-order (they charged the rest of my order, but not the pipe). Slightly annoyed, I called the next day and asked them NOT to automatically backorder it, NOT to charge me when it came in, and TO send me an email letting me know so I can decide if I still want it (they told me on the phone it was on back-order from Peterson for three months already!) The girl I spoke too, I think it was Nicole, said it was no problem. I then placed an order for an Ebony Peterson B11 from SmokingPipes to go with that monsterous first tobacco order I had just made with them (I'm almost finished with 4 tins already!), and I've been having loads of fun with this new hobby since then.

cool_thumb.gif

So I go to the ATM to get money before getting into a cab after work, being rent day and all, and the money I was going to take out is nearly all gone. Now I'm enraged, because for the past year, with 2 different banks, I keep getting my money taken from me at the worst possible times (I'm not even going to go on about how bad Astoria Federal is at extorting and lying, that would crash the database!)

realmad.gif

I get in the cab, take out my PPC phone, get on the internet, and log onto my bank's website. I see the extra charge, and it's from CUP O' JOES. That was the exact point in time my blood started to boil, because I instantly knew that sheer incompetence has screwed me over once again.

dash1.gif

So I just got off the phone with them, and not only did they already ship it out, it was actually shipped out yesterday, and they never bothered notifying me in any way - no email that they were in stock, and no email that it was charged or shipped to me (so I have no receipt/acknowledgment of this charge). They finished this transaction with no approval or interaction on my part, and now I will be short on my rent by about 20%.

ranting.gif

Nothing personal, they are pleasant enough to talk to over the phone, they have great prices (even though they don't ship tobacco within the state - understandable with the insane taxes though), and they ship well packed orders quickly, but as far as I'm concerned that is strike 3 - and with only one order. They lied about removing the back-order, didn't not follow through with sending me an email when they were in stock as they promised, and they charged my debit card without my knowledge or approval (I understand this is directly related to the first point, but it's the main thing I'm angered about). Not to mention the fact that they allowed the order to go through in the first place on something they didn't even have in stock, and had no idea when it or if would be - not a practice that I look for in any business, especially one that is a B&M shop and is not simply and internet drop shipper. This is just my decision, and I would try to dissuade anyone from using them, but I cannot see myself dealing with them anymore after this nearly perfect botch-job.

verysad.gif

They wanted to try to fix it, which is important as well, and it was one person's mistake (I think), but having so many things at once go wrong has turned me off. The guy I spoke to today was nice enough, and seemed to be concerned that the order was never amended, but there wasn't much that could be done to help out the immediate situation because of the unfortunate timing. It was an honest mistake, at least I hope it was, that snowballed into a handful of problems with one order. The fact is that I do want the pipe, and my landlord has always been cool with waiting a week for rent if needed (I've been here for 15 years, but I still don't like doing it), but it's the scope of how much was not done correctly that will keep me away. It's not like they have anything unique to offer - they do have real good prices on a lot of things, but not so much that it would hurt going elsewhere.

The good news, however, is that tomorrow I should have the pipe I wanted from the begining: a brand new Peterson Racing Green B10!
yahoo.gif

That does suck.
I've never done business with Cup O'Joes yet. Been meaning to, just haven't worked up the nerve to pull the trigger on some stuff.
This is a pretty common problem with back orders. I've seen it happen, and had it happen, with other stuff, not from COJ in particular, but from other on-line retailers. :angry:

But, like you said, you get a spiffy new pipe to play with :thumbs:

That sucks man...but at least your land lord will work with you and at least, you have a nice looking pipe. I was a big Peterson fan but I am really into Eric Nording pipes now that I can afford them. I've even been to the Peterson Pipe shop in Dublin, Ireland a couple of times as they are conveniently located across the street from Trinity College and Foxes a few doors down from them. :thumbs: Well the last time I was there in 2003 they was still there.

Sorry to hear that bro.
It always sucks when unexpected expenses occur.

Love the pipe though, that one is on my list.

Let me tell you what I have done for just about that same reason. I also did this to prevent fraud or theft on my account.

When I started ordering alot of stuff on-line and from catalogs I went to my bank and opened a new checking account with a Visa/ATM card. This is not an account I regularly keep any appreciable amount of money in. When I make a purchase I deposit funds into that account to cover that transaction. This has been good for situations just like your where a company failed to send my order (for various reasons) and then much later attempted to charge my account when the order finally came in. They could not because I had removed the money or spent it on something else.

In your case, this would have prevented the sudden and unexpected activity on your account and resulting problems.

As an added benefit you can make CC transactions online without fear that somehacker will pick up your CC# and drain your account or ruin your credit.

Like the pipe - sorry to hear the problems though

Scott

Let me tell you what I have done for just about that same reason. I also did this to prevent fraud or theft on my account.

When I started ordering alot of stuff on-line and from catalogs I went to my bank and opened a new checking account with a Visa/ATM card. This is not an account I regularly keep any appreciable amount of money in. When I make a purchase I deposit funds into that account to cover that transaction. This has been good for situations just like your where a company failed to send my order (for various reasons) and then much later attempted to charge my account when the order finally came in. They could not because I had removed the money or spent it on something else.

In your case, this would have prevented the sudden and unexpected activity on your account and resulting problems.

As an added benefit you can make CC transactions online without fear that somehacker will pick up your CC# and drain your account or ruin your credit.

That's what I'm thinking of doing. I had a major problem last year with my old bank - they changed their policy and my account (without really telling people) so that they would approve ANY transaction, even if there was no money on the account - then they would hit you for a $30 fee per item on each bill, plus double hit you for the overdraft fee as well. They even did this for ATM withdrawals! (this one really drove me nuts - they wanted to hit me for the $30 fee and the money they gave me - a whopping $2 because there was only $18 in my account, instead of denying the ATM transaction like any other bank would do)

They nailed my friend for over $300 in fees alone in one trip to the Wal-mart. I went into the bank and nearly went ape-shit until they dropped the fees and removed that option from my account, then they lied about removing it and it happened again. I still don't know why the can get away with it, but I'm still nervous about it happening again even though I switched banks.

ronically, I actually started on the process of doing this same thing earlier today.