• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Craigellachie 14 yo Speyside Single Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Craigellachie 14 yo Speyside Single Malt, standard bottle, box packaging, 80 proof, 70cl, not available in the US, about $75-80 imported.

Craigellachie%2014.JPG

After taking a break with some Irish whiskey for a week or two (review to follow sometime in the future) it was time to get back to Scotch again.

Founded in 1888 by Peter Mackie, who also founded Lagavulin, it took three years to build and was ready for production in 1891. The vast majority of it's output is for blends, specifically Dewar's now a days and White Horse in the past. In fact, this was known as the White Horse Distillery over 60 years but the signage changed in the 80's and now reads John Dewar & Sons. Supposedly only 2% of Craigellachie (pronounced "Craig-ella-ke") is bottled as a single malt.

After a dinner of Spiced Pork Loin, fresh green beans and a salad it was time to relax with a nice pour of Craigellachie in my glass. Being only 80 proof I didn't try this with ice or any water just neat. The color in the glass is a typical pale straw yellow that is seen in many Speyside whiskies matured in bourbon casks. The nose is wonderfully sweet and fruity with just a touch of peat smoke on the edges. First taste is as sweet as the nose suggests. Some malt and peach intermingle with a bit of pecan nut flavors which fade into a medium long finish. Some smoke shows itself way on the back of the tongue near the very end of the finish. All in all a very pleasant experience.

A good solid dram that is similar but different to a number of other Speysides. If this was available in the US I would have no problems recommending this instead of a Glenfiddich, Glenlivet or Dalmore for a change but the extra cost of importing it makes that a tough call. If you are looking for something different and don't mind the extra cost then Craigellachie will fit the bill admirably.

Sounds fantastic AVB, do you think I'd like it?

I don't know if you saw the "Vote for the next Scotch Review" thread but I'm STILL working on trying to secure a bottle of that Glen Breton Rare for ya. I've been calling the liquor store on a weekly basis checking to see when their only case will arrive.

This or the Glen Elgin (no review of that yet but it is close) at about the same price. There will be a few different ones to choose from for the next buy.

Ah HA, you mean the Glen Elgin 12YO that you already got for me? :D

Mmmmmmmm, that one is yummy! :thumbs: I just poured myself a nightcap of the Glen Elgin (neat). :)

My brother's birthday was the 14th and I gave him the bottle of Gran Reserva and he was thrilled to death!

AVB,
What a treat to wake up and find another new review to read. Your devotion to scotch is amazing.

After reading this review I became excited because this scotch is so rare, at least in the US. Then I became disappointed when it dawned on me that I'll likely never get to sample this one myself. :angry:

Thanks for another stellar review and please keep them coming!

Keep you eyes open, you never know what will pop up here.

Then I became disappointed when it dawned on me that I'll likely never get to sample this one myself. :angry:

Thanks for the review AVB. I wonder if they would have this at duty free shops in Europe. Great review.

Not in London or Amsterdam that I saw. It is listed in Jakarta and Wellington (NZ) though.

Thanks for the review AVB. I wonder if they would have this at duty free shops in Europe. Great review.