• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban coffee

nfulton

My fiance flew out of Miami for almost ten years when she worked for American Airlines. We were watching "The First 48" (I'm hooked) the other night when a few of the detectives in Miami began drinking coffee out of tiny cups. I inquired as to how that was supposed to keep them awake and Laura explained the joys of Cuban coffee. For the recent holiday I purchased some Serrano coffee and an espresso maker as a gift to her. I've read the little primers on making the coffee but I was hoping someone more familiar could give me some tips or point me in the right direction for more info. How much water should I use? Should I use cane sugar or superfine? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to make this special for her.

Nate

The ones I've had while down in Honduras, the Cuban Coffee was sweet. I have no idea what the sugar was, but it reminded me of cane sugar. Like the brownish rough looking sugar you see once in awhile. Either way, its pretty damn tasty. :thumbs:

Edited to add this statement: When I got to the bottom of the cup, I could see undissolved sugar crystals at the bottom.

That is a great site Big Stick. I was trying to overcomplicate it thinking "it can't be that simple". I'll definately have to pick up some cane sugar and one of the cookbooks from Three Guys in Miami.

I mistakenly took the undissolved sugar as an indication that I was doing something wrong. If that is the result in Honduras then it can't be bad in my kitchen.

If you had crystals in the bottom of your cup than it was sugar crystals probably something like sugar in the raw.I was in Africa a few years ago and they had this sugar that resembled small caviar and it was dark brown with a very strong aroma of molasses.But it was soo good in the coffee.

That is a great site Big Stick. I was trying to overcomplicate it thinking "it can't be that simple". I'll definately have to pick up some cane sugar and one of the cookbooks from Three Guys in Miami.

I mistakenly took the undissolved sugar as an indication that I was doing something wrong. If that is the result in Honduras then it can't be bad in my kitchen.

Those guys are great, very nice. You can't go wrong with their cookbooks.

Never had to look up a recipie for cafe/cortadito/collado/cafe con leche/etc., but it's pretty straightforward. Get a stove top maker for it. Should be stainless steel, but can be aluminum. Fill the bottom with water up to the valve/release on the side of the maker. Then put in the insert and fill it, packing it fairly tightly, but not too tightly, with coffee. Any coffee will work, but some tastes way better than others. I generally use Baby's or Illy, but I also use La Llave, Bustelo, Pilon, etc. All is good. I've even ground up 8 o'clock to an espresso grind and used it (very good too).

You then put the top of the maker on, screw it on tight. Put it on the stove, with the lid up.

Then, you add your sugar to a separate, 2-cup pyrex type thing. How much sugar all depends on the size of your maker, but with my 6 cup maker, I put about 5 spoons of sugar (white) into the pyrex cup. Watch the coffee pot now. When it first starts to put out coffee, close the lid, take it off the burner and pour some of the coffee on the sugar. Just a small amount, like about two teaspooons. Put the coffee maker back on the stove and let it finish brewing.

Mix up the sugar and coffee mix you have in the pyrex. It might not look like enough to form a mix, but keep mixing it up. If you need more coffee, add it. But just mix it up until it forms a tannish-colored light paste. You scoop it up with your spoon and tilt it back into the pyrex, it shouldn't be too runny. It almost looks like frosting.

Then look back at your stovetop maker. When it finishes, pour the coffee from the pot into the pyrex thing with the mixture. Stir it up, getting all the coffee to mix with the sugar mixture. You'll get a nice, thick head on the coffee in the pyrex. Pour some into a little espresso cup, then scoop a little bit of the head into the cup too. Then enjoy.

After you get that mastered, you can start trying cafe con leche, cortadito, etc. It's some of the best stuff around. Enjoy brother, with a fine smoke and some tostada.

Edited to add - doing it the way referenced above, I've never had undissolved sugar in my cup. Only if I was given pure cafe, with no sugar, then tried to add it later did I get that result (usu. at restaurants that don't know any better).

Interesting. Same recipe in Italy is what we call café.

Doc.

Interesting. Same recipe in Italy is what we call café.

Doc.

It's cafe here too Doc. Collado only means there's a little more of it, and cafe con leche is with milk, cortadito with evaporated milk. But, by itself like that, cafe is what we call it.

Alright, Nate and MC, you've got me hooked. Care to give a course on cafe con leche now?

Oh my God... I've found the promised land!

One of the greatest things about visiting a good friend of mine in Miami (aside from visiting South Beach) was to have some Cuban Coffee. I was addicted IMMEDIATELY! When I got home I purchased many items I thought I could use, but could never find that ellusive recipe. Now I come on this website, some 5 years later and VOILA!! There it is!

Thanks so much for making my dream come true!
Darren :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Laura and I are addicted now. I get up a half of an hour earlier now (4:00am) just to sit and sip a cup and it is the first thing we do after dinner. I've run through a bag and a half of the Seranno and now I am going to try the Cubita that I purchased. I'm going to have to use some of MC's reccomendations on the coffee though. I don't think Cuba can keep up production with my new habit!

Justin, I'd just google it. I checked out numerous sites and they all say the same thing. The Three Guys site is how I do it. I find the key is cane sugar and very finely ground coffee.

Alright, Nate and MC, you've got me hooked. Care to give a course on cafe con leche now?

Cafe con leche is such a wonderful thing. It especially is yummy when you drink it with a tostada, nice and warm with some butter inside, then you dip it in the cafe con leche as you eat it. Mmmm....

For cafe con leche, just follow the same recipie for the cafe as outlined above. Then, depending on how many people are having cafe con leche, heat up whatever milk you feel is appropriate. For just myself sometimes, my little wife uses about 1 to 1.5 cups of milk. Heat it up on the stove. The microwave is quicker sure, but not the same at all. Heat the milk on the stove until it starts to just kind of steam. Do not let it come to a boil at all. When it gets nice and steamy, take it off, add it to your cup and then pour in whatever amount of cafe you like. If you like it darker (oscuro), add more. But, just about a little over the standard shot-size cup of cafe is typically good if you like it a little lighter. You have to determine what amount of cafe to milk fits the bill for you. I like mine oscuro, so I typically have more added. Also, some people add extra sugar at this point, but I do not. Makes it too sweet and it doesn't always dissolve properly when you do it that way.

Follow the cafe recipie listed above, and it should have enough sugar already.

Enjoy brother. :thumbs:

p.s. -

Oh, and nfulton, you'd be surprised the amount of "Cuban" coffee beans that are actually imported into Cuba from Colombia. So, don't worry too much about getting "Cuban" coffee beans. ;)

I love Cuban coffee too. On both trips I've made to Cuba, I drank coffee to the point where my wife thought I was going to go into cardiac arrest.

Someone mentioned Cubita coffee. On the way back November past, I picked up 3 X 1 Kg bags at the Duty Free for $11 CUC a bag (roughly $14 CDN). I use in in the stove top Bialetti, and in the French Press. I only have just over 1/2 a bag left so I keep it as a treat now. My next trip to Cuba, I'll pack a duffle bag and fill it with coffee for that price.

MiamiCubano, I'm going to try that Cafe En Leche at lunch today. Can't wait. I assume you have to keep stirring the milk while it's heating on the stove?

I love Cuban coffee too. On both trips I've made to Cuba, I drank coffee to the point where my wife thought I was going to go into cardiac arrest.

Someone mentioned Cubita coffee. On the way back November past, I picked up 3 X 1 Kg bags at the Duty Free for $11 CUC a bag (roughly $14 CDN). I use in in the stove top Bialetti, and in the French Press. I only have just over 1/2 a bag left so I keep it as a treat now. My next trip to Cuba, I'll pack a duffle bag and fill it with coffee for that price.

MiamiCubano, I'm going to try that Cafe En Leche at lunch today. Can't wait. I assume you have to keep stirring the milk while it's heating on the stove?

That helps. Don't heat it too high either, or it will have a tendency to burn and leave a film on the bottom of the pan. About a medium heat. You can always start heating the milk and the cafe at the same time too, so you don't have to let the cafe sit while you heat the milk. It will stay pretty hot though if you are a single-tasker.

snip...Don't heat it too high either, or it will have a tendency to burn and leave a film on the bottom of the pan. About a medium heat. ...snip

Thanks. I have a thermometer so I was thinking about 150-160 deg F, same as for Capp's or Lattes.

A thermometer takes the fun out of making cafe con leche, let your taste buds find the right temperature for your milk. There are a lot of coffee brands out there that will make a decent cafe con leche. Like MC said don't worry about getting Cuban coffee and don't scald the milk.

A thermometer takes the fun out of making cafe con leche, let your taste buds find the right temperature for your milk. snip....

You're most likely right, but I'd kinda like to have a decent starting point for my first one. Once I find out if I like it or not (I don't drink a whole lot of coffee with milk & sugar), then I can play & experiment.