• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pre-Embargo Henry Clay Diamontino

atuck

ANEJORE
I was going to save this smoke for a celebratory occasion, BUT, not the case here. This is a cheer me up get my mind the heck out of dodge smoke.

I have actually been thinking about this cigar ever since I got it. When I 1st got it I pulled the cap off so I could smell it and the glass tube broke. The smell was incredible. Of flowers and red wine. I just could not wait!

DSC01446.jpg

Today is the day!!

1st I get out the Cubita coffee and make a pot.

DSC01445.jpg

DSC01448.jpg

Still smells of flowers and red wine but not as strong, maybe I should have left it sealed.
As I light it the smell promises a good smoke ahead. It lit and burned perfectly the whole way.

DSC01451.jpg

The 1st 3rd of the cigar I got a lot of earth, cedar, leather and wood. Very pleasant. The ash held firm but took on a form of its own. As I got into the 2nd 3rd of the cigar I got whiffs of nutmeg with a floral but slighly tart flavor. As I got into , maybe, the 3rd 1/4 of the cigar I got tastes of strong pepper with strong hints of bellpepper. Getting into the nub stage of the cigar it became very complex. Boasting a vegetal tone with hints of espresso, dark chocolate and floral notes as well.

I smoked it until it burned my fingers and lips. Wish it could have lasted longer.

DSC01453.jpg

I have another one, that hasn't been opened, that I will try in a few months. Hopefully for a fun occasion.

Even though I liked this cigar and certainly appreciated the opportunity to smoke it I would only give it maybe a 7.

Party at Alans! J/K. Nice cigar and thanks for sharing the experience.

Great review and Congrats on being able to smoke an antique!!!

Excellent review, Alan! Sorry it wasn't on better circumstances. Sounds like an incredible experience. :thumbs:

Great review of a rare cigar! Thanks for sharing!

P.S. Keep your head up! :thumbs:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. From your review, I get the impression that there's no such thing as excessive aging. How would you compare this smoke with more current vintages?

Wow, the age of this cigar amazes a noob like me...I didn't realize they would even keep that long.

What an incredible story! Thanks for the review!

Got a question about it, though... Today, such a well-preserved cigar is obviously a very rare commodity. There's no telling what it may be worth in today's post-embargo market. But when it was made, there was of course no embargo nor even the hint of one to come. My question then is - was it a highly-desirable smoke even when it was new? Did it command a high price in the late-40s, or was it just a decent smoke that anyone would buy for a couple dollars?

Atuck,
Awesome review!
How did you happen to come across a vintage like that?
MrTapes

Great review! Thanks Alan