• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Histerical interaction at my local B&M...

Enigma76

So to start, last night I found out about a local B&M I had never known of before, so I had to make the trip to see what they had. Especially because they were an authorized Fuente dealer, and the only other B&M I'm aware of near me is not.

I walk in, talk to the guy behind the counter alittle, and decide to purchase 2 hemi signature nattys. Alls well and good, I drive home in anticipation of smoking them tomorrow night.

So this morning, I check them out (just couldnt help myself), and really inspect them. Now, this is my fault, but I notice on one of them the cap has a couple big-ass mold spots...I'm talking the white and really fluffy stuff. I decide to go back to the B&M and replace it for another.

Now this is where the story gets interesting.

I walk in, tell the guy whats up, show him the cigar, and then ask for a replacement.

Him: "Okay sure, but this isnt mold, this is plume."
Me: "No no, thats not plume thats definately mold."
Him: (smudges off the mold) "Well, what are you talking about, these little spots in the wrapper?"
Me: (no, not the wrapper spots, the huge chunk of fluffy stuff you just wiped away..oh wait a minute, look at the top of the cap, its literally furry its so covered with mold) "No, look at the top of the cap."
Him: "Oh this?" (smudge it away) "Thats plume."
Me: "Oh, okay well what is plume then?" (acting dumb, because arguing wasnt working).
Him: (and I quote) "Well, when the cigar has plume, it will be covered in blue" (points to a navy blue poster) "like that blue."
Me: (OMG this guy is retarded) "Oh, so what does it mean when a cigar has plume?" (act dumb)
Him: "Well I'm not sure what actually happens, but plume is when a cigar is really really fresh" (ARE YOU KIDDING ME?) "like, when its first rolled and really fresh, it will have plume. Plume signifies a really fresh and young cigar."
Me: "Oh alright, cya later." (contain laughter)

I then proceeded to call my brother and laugh our asses off. Hope you guys get as much of a laugh as I did. I ended up getting what I wanted, and learning in the process that not everyone who works at any old B&M knows what they are talking about.

Enjoy.

I'm assuming you won't be going back. One of the B&Ms here is the same way.

Definately not. I only got a couple months of college left anyways and then I'm out so it doesnt really matter. My B&M at home is stellar, so I'll just keep going to them.

Just thought it was worth posting to let people get a laugh.

Some lady tried telling me that mold growing on some RP vintage sticks was "condensation from the humidor" once. It blows my mind that people don't learn their trade any better.

That's great, thanks for the laugh...
You did a nice job of not bursting out in laughter while he was talking.

The complete lack of knowledge and the lack of any desire to acquire same is pretty disappointing.

Kinda sad, actually.........B.B.S.

I settled one of these arguments at a B&M recently with one "word" - vitolas.net. The store had Internet access, so everybody was piled up on the monitor.

I had the exact same experience with TNT, albeit long distance. The cigars were moldy as hell. There were even mold spots on the lid of the box. I asked the guy if he thought that was plume, too, and he said, "Yes." :rolleyes:

I don't get the joke!! I thought all young cigars have blue stuff growing on them. The older aged cigars have those little pin holes in them and I thought those you should store in your humidor with all your other cigars to make them ripe!!? :rolleyes:

:laugh: jazz

It is amazing the help you get sometimes. My local has a hot chick working on Fridays who knows NOTHING about cigars. I find it in my heart to be patient.

But if a store has mold, like Cigar World on 17 in Ramsey, I just won't buy there except in an emergency. It means they don't know how the frick to store a cigar.

You should go back and ask if he has any other cigars with those blue flavor spots on them.

Ok guys, I searched before I stepped into the fire on this one. I bought a cigar recently with some mold and to be honest after I wiped it off, it was delicious...

With that said. How bad is mold? If its all just topical and removed with a brisk wipe whats the deal?

I settled one of these arguments at a B&M recently with one "word" - vitolas.net. The store had Internet access, so everybody was piled up on the monitor.

heh -- you should have told me in advance, I would have edited in the description to mock them :)

Anyway, as for the story, sadly I'm not surprised. This form of "trickle-down ignorance" seems to be what is causing a lot of people to be confused about what is mold, and what is plume.

I don't get the joke!! I thought all young cigars have blue stuff growing on them. The older aged cigars have those little pin holes in them and I thought those you should store in your humidor with all your other cigars to make them ripe!!? :rolleyes:

Maybe they just didn't pick the blue crystals out of the kitty litter? :)

Maybe they just didn't pick the blue crystals out of the kitty litter? :)

ROTFLMAO!!! I think you are right!! :laugh: