• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Does it drive you crazy?

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
There is such a wealth of knowledge here and the level of depth is often staggering. I was going to ask the question "How do you touch up your poorly burning cigar" because I have seen people desecrate a cigar while touching it up.

I also have a friend who has the habit of tapping off the ash with every puff and rolling the foot in the ashtray (and the ashes) during the entire smoke. It’s no wonder he can’t tell the difference between an ISOM and a Garcia Vega.

I am curious as to how people touch up a cigar that is about to canoe or just burning unevenly.

I just keep one rolling constantly that is trying to burn unevenly and, this usually helps to auto correct. If this does not work, I usually take my torch type lighter and, carefully burn the excess part that has not been burning off. Usually, this corrects it.

That friend of yours would drive me crazy too! :sign:

Contrary to what one might think, if you rotate the slower burning side of a cigar so that it is at the bottom as you hold it in you hand or lay it in the ashtray, it should help the slower side catch up to the other side. Rotating the cigar as you smoke it helps reduce the uneven burning.

As far as a cigar that canoes, you can touch up the slower burning portion to catch it up to the bad burn. To do this you should use a butane torch as it has a finer point of flame that is more directional than a soft flame lighter.

But sometimes no matter what you do, a cigar that canoes can be due to a few reasons. A poorly wrapped cigar can contribute to canoeing as can a cigar that has been stored improperly.

For most, these fellas pretty much covered it. Don't be too harsh on your buddy who taps the ash. I smoked butts for 25 years and just can't help myself. I try not to take too much, but I just can't allow ash to stay on the cigar. I don't find that it affects my smoke too much unless I get overzealous and uncover the active burn. That sometimes takes even a low end cigar into a bitter taste until the burn is covered again.

I use a single flame torch. Using the very tip of the flame, just touch up the issues. Never had a problem.

I can relate to having friends with "bad" cigar smoking habits. At first I used to correct them, but I realized I was coming off as a cigar snob ass so now I just let it be. Of course if they ask about proper etiquette I share my thoughts with them, but beyond that just smoke and smile.

A poorly wrapped cigar can contribute to canoeing

Hope no one minds me expanding a bit on this point for those that don't know.

On a tobacco plant the leaves at the top of the plant called the "ligero" (younger leaf, more concentrated flavours due to small size and increased sun exposure) burn slower. When the cigar is rolled its important that this leaf is in the middle. Thats why when you tap off the ash you sometimes get a torpedo effect on the ash because this middle portion hasn't burned down as much.

So if the cigar is rolled in such a way that the ligero leaf is to one side rather than in the middle that side will burn slower. As such it can be very difficult if not impossible to correct.

FYI, I tend to use a butane torch lighter to correct uneven burns

You would think that if a cigar is canoeing you'd put the slower burning end on top as heat rises. However as mentioned above, if you put the slower burning end down, you should have better luck as the small hot particles of ash inside the cigar that break off will settle toward the bottom on the cigar, thusly heating that portion. At least that's how a chemist friend of mine explained it to me.

I use a Blazer torch lighter and when a cigar's burn line starts to wander, I often touch up with a shot of the torch. As often as not, if I leave it alone, the uneveness does not get worse or even straightens itself out. In normal smoking, I try not to let the ash get more than about 1.5" long. When ash gets this long, tap off and blow out through the cigar to purge the nasties and refresh the stick.

When you touch up, I've found that blowing on the torched area for a few seconds helps to set the correction.

If there is a soft channel, there is nothing that can be done to correct the run where there is a gap in the bunch. I try to slow these down by dabbing it with spit or my drink.

Wilkey

You would think that if a cigar is canoeing you'd put the slower burning end on top as heat rises. However as mentioned above, if you put the slower burning end down, you should have better luck as the small hot particles of ash inside the cigar that break off will settle toward the bottom on the cigar, thusly heating that portion. At least that's how a chemist friend of mine explained it to me.

I thought it was because there is more oxygen on the lower side?

I guess it doesn't really matter. I usually don't worry too much about the uneven burn as 98% of the time I smoke outside and it's too damn hard to control. I just hit it with the torch and then purge.

I like to leave the ash until it drops, which usually isn't too long outdoors, unless it's very calm.

I have had good luck with warming the slow burning side. Particularly if I just got the stick and question it's storage. I let a lazy flame dance under the slow burning side a couple inches back without ever letting the flame hit the cigar in hopes of drying it a little and letting it burn with the rest of the stick.

I don't smoke in my car but my truck is a 79 F-150 with wing windows and it's a real treat to knock the ash off and hold the cigar, foot first, in the wind off the wing to clear it out. It's like smoking a new cigar all over again.

I AM CRAZY!!
4_2_1051.gif

I smoked butts for 25 years and just can't help myself.

Bruce:

This is interesting. I have a friend who would always pick the best butt out the ashtray the morning after a card game because he is always the first one up when the guys are at my cabin. We used to make fun of him but now we all do it. Coffee and the last 20 minutes of a good stick is a great way to start a Saturday followed with fishing or just a bon fire cooking/beer drinking day.

Edited for grammar.........

Bruce:

This is interesting. I have a friend who would always pick the best butt out the ashtray the morning after a card game because he is always the first one up when the guys are at my cabin. We used to make fun of him but now we all do it. Coffee and the last 20 minutes of a good stick is a great way to start a Saturday followed with fishing or just a bon fire cooking/beer drinking day.

In my context, I was referring to cigarettes. Once in my life, I was drunk enough to eat a urnial cake (a Marine bet me, then fullfilled the bet by eating one himself). I've never been drunk enough to snatch a butt out of an ash tray.

Bruce:

In my context, I was referring to cigarettes. Once in my life, I was drunk enough to eat a urnial cake (a Marine bet me, then fullfilled the bet by eating one himself). I've never been drunk enough to snatch a butt out of an ash tray.

Wow, that kinda went off to left field didn't it? I'm talking a 4 or 5 inch butt.

Cigarettes? You actually smoke those disgusting things? :) I guess they aren't any worse than a urinal cake! I wouldn't smoke a butt out of ashtray with cigarettes in it either.

This thread is very quickly adding to a list of things I will never do...

i find that the best way to get a correct a bad burn id to put the extra time into lighing it and if it does stray a bit i will gently touch it up if i have to with a soft flame and blowing on it.

Bruce:

cid_001c01c6fa5ff4148360172B185FBUD.jpg