• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padilla Achilles

stevehawk

'Member? C'mon you 'member!
Cigar: Padilla Achilles
Vitola: Toro
Wrapper: Habano-seed corojo leaf from Nicaraguan
Ring gauge: 50
Length: 6”
Price: MSRP $7.00 – but can be found for much less from most vendors

01b.jpg

I usually don’t lend much credence to the descriptions I read on vendor sites, but here’s a portion of the write-up on this cigar from the CI website that is pretty accurate to my previous experiences with the Achilles:

Edicion Especial 'Achilles' – a beautiful handmade blended by Ernesto and crafted by Jose "Pepin" Garcia. Hailing from Nicaragua, the café-colored Achilles is what cigar dreams are made of. Padilla Achilles is densely packed with Cuban-seed tobaccos from the fertile soils of Nicaragua. Patiently aged, this hearty blend is graced by a stunning Corojo wrapper. This choice, dark brown leaf is smooth as silk and super leathery in appearance. A burst of creamy flavors is the first thing you'll notice, followed by a series of intense, cedary flavors. The spicy aftertaste mellows at the midway point, where sweet cedar coats the palate after each draw. Full-bodied throughout, the Achilles is an eventful cigar.

The description of the cigar is spot on. The corojo wrapper was medium-dark brown, with only minor veining and leathery in appearance.

The initial taste of the lit cigar was smooth, creamy and extremely pleasant to my palate. Although touted as a full-bodied cigar, I’ve found these to be more of a medium body smoke and this one was no different. The draw was perfect and the burn, while not razor sharp, needed no touch ups.

The ash was a light gray and fell off at the 2” mark.

56f.jpg

One of the problems I’ve had with these in the past is a fragile wrapper, with a tendency to crack and even explode on occasion. This one was fine, though – from the initial punch to the final draw, the only crack I experienced with this cigar is the small one in the pic above.

94f.jpg

Overall, this was a very enjoyable cigar, and one that I would recommend. While I prefer the Tatuaje Brown and Padilla Miami blends, this cigar makes an excellent addition to the humi for the price.

Great review and thanks for sharing. I tend to agree that this is firmly in the "medium-bodied" category, at most. Great stick by Pepin though.

I had the pleasure of smoking one of this a few days ago. I agree that this is a medium body smoke but you can't beat the multi-dimensional flavor profile. I tasted lotsa cream and woody notes with hints of spice and sweetness. Very nice! :thumbs:

And the price which you can get below MSRP is a big plus!

Just had my first one today.
Very decent smoke considering the price.

To avoid wrapper cracking, the cigar was put under the faucet for a few. Only until the final third did the wrapper started to crack in this 43% humidity area.

The burn was excellent. No touch ups needed.

First two thirds had the cedar flavor, the final third was something different. That could be because I smoked it too quick.

Overall a very pleasant cigar. I have seen them on sale for as little as $2.50 a stick. I wish I bought more.

Cigar: Padilla Achilles
Vitola: Toro
Wrapper: Habano-seed corojo leaf from Nicaraguan
Ring gauge: 50
Length: 6”
Price: MSRP $7.00 – but can be found for much less from most vendors

01b.jpg

I usually don’t lend much credence to the descriptions I read on vendor sites, but here’s a portion of the write-up on this cigar from the CI website that is pretty accurate to my previous experiences with the Achilles:

Edicion Especial 'Achilles' – a beautiful handmade blended by Ernesto and crafted by Jose "Pepin" Garcia. Hailing from Nicaragua, the café-colored Achilles is what cigar dreams are made of. Padilla Achilles is densely packed with Cuban-seed tobaccos from the fertile soils of Nicaragua. Patiently aged, this hearty blend is graced by a stunning Corojo wrapper. This choice, dark brown leaf is smooth as silk and super leathery in appearance. A burst of creamy flavors is the first thing you'll notice, followed by a series of intense, cedary flavors. The spicy aftertaste mellows at the midway point, where sweet cedar coats the palate after each draw. Full-bodied throughout, the Achilles is an eventful cigar.

The description of the cigar is spot on. The corojo wrapper was medium-dark brown, with only minor veining and leathery in appearance.

The initial taste of the lit cigar was smooth, creamy and extremely pleasant to my palate. Although touted as a full-bodied cigar, I’ve found these to be more of a medium body smoke and this one was no different. The draw was perfect and the burn, while not razor sharp, needed no touch ups.

The ash was a light gray and fell off at the 2” mark.

56f.jpg

One of the problems I’ve had with these in the past is a fragile wrapper, with a tendency to crack and even explode on occasion. This one was fine, though – from the initial punch to the final draw, the only crack I experienced with this cigar is the small one in the pic above.

94f.jpg

Overall, this was a very enjoyable cigar, and one that I would recommend. While I prefer the Tatuaje Brown and Padilla Miami blends, this cigar makes an excellent addition to the humi for the price.

Are you sure Pepin blended this cigar? I know he did the Miami, 1932, and 1968 but didn't know he did the Achilles.

Edicion Especial 'Achilles' – a beautiful handmade blended by Ernesto and crafted by Jose "Pepin" Garcia...

Are you sure Pepin blended this cigar? I know he did the Miami, 1932, and 1968 but didn't know he did the Achilles.

According to the quote from CI, it was blended by Ernesto Padilla. Pepin "crafted" it, which I take to mean that it was rolled in his factory.

CI had a special on these a few days ago 10 Salomones for $25. I passed though as I do not usually smoke cigars that big.

CI had a special on these a few days ago 10 Salomones for $25. I passed though as I do not usually smoke cigars that big.
I don't usually smoke cigars that big either but I gave that deal a shot because I do like the blend.
In addition to the fragile wrapper, I've found the Achilles to be a little mould prone though.
I have them in a zip-lock bag in my Vinotemp.

I haven't had the toro, but I have had the Achilles salomon. The big RG really shows it off - nice flavor. I think it was a little more than medium, into the full range, but palates differ. Well done with the review.

I loved the first release back in '06/'07. Was wondering if you guys feel it's the same quality cigar with the new release?

I have a couple of bundles from CI resting in the humi for yard work season. Not a bad yard gar I think...

I loved the first release back in '06/'07. Was wondering if you guys feel it's the same quality cigar with the new release?

That's a good question. I haven't smoked one since soon after I did this review.

Good review! I've tried just about every other Padilla except for this one. I'll have to give it a shot.

Anyone who may be interested, CI has these at good prices, with 10 free solomons with each bundle.

Definately not the same as the original, but given a few months, they make great medium bodied yard-gars or fish-sticks. :thumbs:

For those interested, JoeCigar seems to be running a 10er of these for $27.50