• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Benromach 18 Single Speyside Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Benromach 18 yo Single Speyside Malt Scotch Whisky. 750ml, tall slightly flared bottle, metal tube packaging, 80 proof, $70-80, limited availability in the US.

Benromach%2018.JPG

Benromach was built in the mad rush of distillery building at the end of the 19th century. It was completed just in time to see the downturn of the Scottish whisky industry and was seemingly closed more then it was open for the next 100 years. Built in 1898 it closed in 1900 until 1912 when production started again until 1914. It reopened in the early 20's only to close again in 1931 for six years. Production resumed just in time to be closed for the Second World War. Reopened again in 1946 it produced for the next twenty years until 1966 when it closed and was rebuilt over the next two years. In 1974 two new stills were installed and production continued until 1983 when it was not only closed again but had the equipment dismantled. I have been unable to find out where the equipment went to though. There must be some clause in some contract which prevents anyone from saying. Benromach was officially closed for nearly ten years when the site was bought by Gordon and MacPhail in 1993. After extensive renovation and modernization, production at the Benromach Distillery restarted in 1998. It was exactly a hundred years since the distillery was founded.

Benromach is the smallest distillery in Scotland with only 2 stills and 2 employees and no computers to be seen anywhere, a fact they are very proud of. Everything is done by those 2 master craftsmen assuring a true traditional spirit. Production is now up to full levels at about 130,000 liters a year.

This 18 yo is from just prior to closing in 1983. At $70 this is a very reasonable price for an 18 yo scotch and I hope that they can maintain the price point in vew of the rapidly rising costs of aged scotch.

This Benromach is a nice full gold color and in the glass is about 2 shades lighter then in the bottle. When I first opened it the flavors jumped out of the bottle like they were under pressure, more so then any other bottle in recent memory. The nose is full of soft fruit like peach and apricots with honey and malt spread about. Tasting brings up oak and a spiciness that takes over from the fruit of the nosing. There is a lot going on here. Vanilla from the ex-bourbon casks wanders throughout the mouth. The finish is cinnamon spicy at first fading into a somewhat nutty end. There is a slight drying on the tongue which makes the finish seem longer then it really is.

I finished my glass with an RP 1990 and I must say this was a great match. While not a stellar dram (very few are) Benromach 18 is a solid B+ performer at a very nice price. Look for it if you are in the mood for something different.

I got a little question for you, Ray. Do you keep something else to cleanse you palate by when you do a review while smoking a cigar at the same time? Say, a glass of water? I find most of the time when I have scotch with a cigar I don't have the same experience with it when I just have the dram by itself. Thanks Ray, great review as always. I need to pick up a bottle of this and try it for myself.

Brad, I don't smoke until after my review notes are done.

I got a little question for you, Ray. Do you keep something else to cleanse you palate by when you do a review while smoking a cigar at the same time? Say, a glass of water? I find most of the time when I have scotch with a cigar I don't have the same experience with it when I just have the dram by itself. Thanks Ray, great review as always. I need to pick up a bottle of this and try it for myself.

Binny's has four types of these including the eighteen year old. :thumbs: