• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Reviving Neglected Cigars?

StogieFarts

Hey guys,

So here's the deal. I'd say almost ten years ago, I was given some nice cigars (Buteras and a Bolivar) in a cardboard box. This was WAY before my cigar-smoking balls had dropped out of my scrotum yet, so I had no clue that these needed to be kept in a humidor.

They stayed in this box for the last ten years. :angry:

Needless to say, they are extremely dry, and in some cases, the outer wrapper is peeling off. My question is this: is it too late to revive these poor bastards? If I leave them in the humidor for many many years, would they ever spring back?

(I took some digital pics but I can't find the damn cable to connect to the computer)

Hey guys,

So here's the deal. I'd say almost ten years ago, I was given some nice cigars (Buteras and a Bolivar) in a cardboard box. This was WAY before my cigar-smoking balls had dropped out of my scrotum yet, so I had no clue that these needed to be kept in a humidor.

They stayed in this box for the last ten years. :angry:

Needless to say, they are extremely dry, and in some cases, the outer wrapper is peeling off. My question is this: is it too late to revive these poor bastards? If I leave them in the humidor for many many years, would they ever spring back?

(I took some digital pics but I can't find the damn cable to connect to the computer)
10 years!!!
Yeah, I say it's too late.
All the oils have dried up.

Put them in some tupperware with a digital and try to keep the RH at around 50-50% for a few weeks, then bring it up to 60% for a couple of weeks, then to 65% for a couple of weeks and then to 70% for a couple of weeks, then bring them back down to 65% for a month and try one. Also, when you do this try to keep the temp. around 65 degrees F.

It's worth a shot.

One time I purchased 3 Partagas which were dry and kept in a drawer for a few years. I was going to heal them, but didnt know its not possible.
Unfortunatelly after 2 months in a humi they were still stinky, just like this old drawer. They did get a little better but only in its spongynes, but there was no cigar smell at all.
They ended in garbage.

If smokes are stored incorrectly for just 3 weeks, they will never be the same IMO.

Dried out smokes are dried out smokes, flatlined....

Brian

If smokes are stored incorrectly for just 3 weeks, they will never be the same IMO.

Brian

Brian:

Can you share what the taste is after being flatlined? I would assume they simply taste like smoke, but is there any flavor profile left?

Brian

Brian:

Can you share what the taste is after being flatlined? I would assume they simply taste like smoke, but is there any flavor profile left?
Are you attempting to pull my chain again? :whistling: OR, just plain bored ???

Brian

Brian

Brian:

Are you attempting to pull my chain again? :whistling: OR, just plain bored ???

Brian

Pull your chain? Again? No, I am dead serious because a friend gave me some dried out cigars to try to revive. I'm just wondering if there is any flavor profile left in them?

I think you have pretty much received your answer, and I sincerely doubt that anyone who's ever had a dried out cigar would disagree with the responses. You can certainly bring those cigars back up to a proper smoking humidity. It's a slow process, done in increments of increasing rh, to prevent the cigars from coming apart. Howver, the oils, and nearly all of their cigar "flavor" are long since gone (dried out). You're basically left with some really big unfiltered cigarettes.

I think you have pretty much received your answer, and I sincerely doubt that anyone who's ever had a dried out cigar would disagree with the responses. You can certainly bring those cigars back up to a proper smoking humidity. It's a slow process, done in increments of increasing rh, to prevent the cigars from coming apart. Howver, the oils, and nearly all of their cigar "flavor" are long since gone (dried out). You're basically left with some really big unfiltered cigarettes.
Well said and right on the money.

Wilkey

Well said and right on the money.

Wilkey
x2 :thumbs:

Brian

Yep and Thanks! That saves me the time and effort of trying to slowly bring them back just to give him big unfiltered cigarettes.

Thanks for the reply, guys. Now that I've got the proper storage, this scenario will never happen again. It's just a shame I had to let some of the good ones be sacrificed in this learning process.