• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Inverarity Ancestral 14 yo

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Inverarity Ancestral Pure Speyside Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 14 yo, 750ml, 80 proof, standard bottle, no additional packaging, about $50-60, very limited US availability.

The Inverarity Ancestral 14 yo is an independent bottling of Balmenach and was a Gold Medal at IWSC (International Whisky Spirits Challenge) 1999.

Balmenach%2014.JPG

In 1986 Balmenach was sold to United Distillers who closed the distillery in May 1993. Eventually, Balmenach was bought from Diageo by Inver House Distillers in 1997. Inver House didn't start distilling immediately after acquiring the distillery as they had to check the entire production plant before they resumed production again in March 1998. In 2004 Balmenach produced just under 2 million litres of alcohol. When Inver House bought the distillery from Diageo they did not get the maturing stocks, so the oldest whisky they had around the year 2004 was about 6yo which probably means a new 'OB' won't be released until circa 2010. Anything older, such as this bottle, is from the old stocks Dieago kept and sells from time to time. There was an "official" bottling under the Flora and Fauna range and the Rare Malts series but they were sold out long ago. Today, production goes into the Inver House blends and untill the mid 1990's was also used in Johnnie Walker products.

Did a little yard work and came in to enjoy a dram of the Inverarity Ancestral. As it says on the label it is aged entirely in sherry casks and they aren't kidding. This is a sherry monster! They had to use first fill sherry casks to get that much color and flavor in the whisky. Inverarity says that it is a topaz color in the bottle and I can't come up with a better descriptor so I'll go with that. In the glass it lightens up a shade but is still a nice darker then usual color.

The nose is, of course, sherry followed by malt, nuts and raisins all in a very smooth blend. Tasting is smooth at first with the sherry, spices and oak and then some dying on the tongue. The finish is long and flavorful, much more then Macallan 12 for example. It is mostly 2 dimensional with sherry and spices but some malt does show up at the end. Overall better then I wrote. This is an easy drinker that one could put away far more then usual with no problem. If you are a fan of sherried malts you need to find a bottle of this :thumbs:

Put a nice dent in this last night. Even the wife liked it.

I could use a dram of this for burning the 'Moontrance taint' off my tongue when I'm done with this god-forsaken review!

~R

Thanks for taking the time to post another review AVB. If I ever come across a bottle of this I'll be sure to pick on up.

I just ordered a bottle of this yesterday from the same place AVB got his...can't wait for it to come in. I also got a Talisker 1992 Distillers Edition bottle and a Balvenie 17 yr New Oak bottle. Can't wait for those either.

Great! I'll be looking for your comments sometime soon.

I just ordered a bottle of this yesterday from the same place AVB got his...can't wait for it to come in. I also got a Talisker 1992 Distillers Edition bottle and a Balvenie 17 yr New Oak bottle. Can't wait for those either.

Wow...
A little more bite then I expected.
Nice sherry flavor with a touch of raisins.
There is a certain sweetness I cannot put my finger on what the flavor is...
I attribute this to the sherry but it is different then other sherried Whisky I have experienced.
A very sweet toffee perhaps.
Finish on this keeps going and going and going!

-Rob

Goes down pretty easy doesn't it.

Wow...
A little more bite then I expected.
Nice sherry flavor with a touch of raisins.
There is a certain sweetness I cannot put my finger on what the flavor is...
I attribute this to the sherry but it is different then other sherried Whisky I have experienced.
A very sweet toffee perhaps.
Finish on this keeps going and going and going!

-Rob

I bought a bottle of this a while ago and just got around to having a drink. I can't come up with anything different from what anyone has said in this thread. This is a great scotch and as AVB says if you are a fan of sherried scotch you should definitely try this. The tasting is sweet and smooth and the finish is amazing and lasts for a long time. I find it much smoother than the Macallan 12 and bit sweeter than the Balvenie 12. There is no taste of alcohol at any point in the drinking of this excellent dram. It goes down so well that I might need to buy another bottle soon. :)

An ace in my book.

It does go down pretty easy doesn't it.

As always, AVB got this scotch right on the money. Total sherry monster and much smoother than the standard Mac 12. Available at most Bevmo's at $40 a pop but a couple of months back, the local Bevmo had this on sale for 20 a bottle. Talk about a steal, even at regular price, this is a great alternative to Mac 12.

Wow for $20 I would buy 5 bottles. I haven't seen this on sale for a long time. I had to buy it from Shoppers Vineyard and have one bottle hidden in the back of my bar.