• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Belinda

Saxjazzman

This thread will review:

Name: Belinda
Size: 6.25 x 45
Wrapper: Maduro
Binder: HON
Filler: DR/HON
MSRP: 105 cigars in Artlillery Fuze Ammo Can for $210
Price Payed: $90
Stated Strength: Medium
Comments: J&R catalog indicates that this is made in Honduras, Villazon factory under the direction of Frank Llaneza and Estelo Padron. These cigars have been aging in the humi for about 8 months.

For original thread discussion see Start Up Thread

Thank you to SJM for providing the cigars to do these reviews with. I have had a couple of these Belindas and my verdict is in. These numbers will be 5-10 per SJM's request.

I decided to smoke the official review stick under the stars at the witching hour with tiki torches blazing as during the day here it is 105+ degrees this week. My drink: room temp distilled water as to allow my palette to be unbiased.

Appearance-6
Maduro, mildly veiny, the roll was lumpy but I have seen worse. Looked just like a connie (Consuegra) which is why I chose this one first, I am a big fan of Connies. The pre light smell was not as strong as I expected- not very enticing but not bad either. I scored and removed the cap "Wilkey" style and torched away.

Taste-7
After lighting, I found it to be fairly smooth. I could exhale the last third through my nose without any burn. It is medium bodied with distinct notes of wood. The only other flavors I could pick out were slight hints of coffee and maybe a touch of leather. In general, it exhibited just a plain tobacco flavor but as time progressed, the woodiness became somewhat overpowering. For those who are connie lovers, this is similar to a connie (as it is made by the same people) but does not live up to the flavor of a connie IMHO. This would pair well with a cup of strong coffee as the coffee may 'add' the flavor that is not quite there.

Construction-8
This cigar performed as well an any other average cigar would. The burn was good, I only had one minor touch up half way in. The ash wasn't really tight, but it didn't fall until 1.5 inches. Ash was a medium gray. Draw and smoke volume was as the others...average...nothing to complain about.

Score A+B+(1.5)C divided by 3.5 = 7.14

100_0454.jpg

100_0461.jpg

100_0464.jpg

Final thoughts:
At about $1 a stick, these cigars are worth the money. Taste is subjective so you may like them more than I. They were not bad, but with a Consuegra being the same price, I would reach for a Connie before a Belinda IMHO.

Outstanding review!! Thanks for the great pictures and the input. I think with reviews like this it will give people a good sense of what is out there and available. Keep the coming and thanks for all your effort. That goes for all who are doing the reviews, thanks!! :thumbs:

To keep it standard, we would rate the cigars in three categories.

A) Appearance--How the cigar looks, how the pre-light smell is, the wrapper, etc.

B) Taste---How is the taste? Spicy, strong, bland, airball, etc. How did the taste progress, etc.

C) Construction---How did the cigar perform in terms of draw, burn, ash, etc.

To rate the cigars we would use a number from 5 to 10, 5 being one you would not even give Fidel to smoke and ten being a damm good cigar. The final rating number would be determined by the following:

A + B + (1.5)C divided by 3.5. This is similar to how Cigar Magazine does it but it is a little different. I realize that this is not perfect and there may be better ways but this would work also. Thanks for the reviews!!

The wrapper reminded me of a lazily wrapped Camacho Corojo. Initial light was quite flavorful, with immediate hints of vanilla. I also detected hints of sugar, but not in the sense that the cigar had a sweet cap or anything. I enjoyed this quite smooth cigar at the start, but found that around ½ way through, the taste got kind of stale. It was neither good nor bad. It just kind of got consistent. I typically like cigars that change a lot and keep my pallet guessing. This is not that cigar. The draw was slightly tight, but the burn was reasonable consistent. I only had to touch up twice…and that’s taking into consideration I left the cigar in the ashtray for a short time. The Belinda would probably be a nice social cigar…probably something you could take to the club before or after a golf game. I do not suggest bringing this cigar with you on the course, however. I think a shorter vitola of this cigar might work better as it gets really dull towards the end. I ended up snuffing her short of the band due to the lack of dynamics. This cigar did not offer an array of changes in flavor throughout, yet did hold my attention as a nice, consistent cigar.

Ratings:

A) Appearance—The wrapper looks rough and full of veins. Looks like some wrapped it, messed up, unwrapped it, and then tried to re-wrap it with the same wrapper. (5)
B) Taste---I thought the taste was pretty good initially with a strong vanilla hit…this died quickly and this cigar got kind a boring (7)
C) Construction---Draw was slightly tight, but not enough to be unpleasant. The burn wasn’t too bad, but got frustrating after the second touch up. It was nice and even though. Ash was nice and gray and did not flake. (8)

The wrapper reminded me of a lazily wrapped Camacho Corojo. Initial light was quite flavorful, with immediate hints of vanilla. I also detected hints of sugar, but not in the sense that the cigar had a sweet cap or anything. I enjoyed this quite smooth cigar at the start, but found that around ½ way through, the taste got kind of stale. It was neither good nor bad. It just kind of got consistent. I typically like cigars that change a lot and keep my pallet guessing. This is not that cigar. The draw was slightly tight, but the burn was reasonable consistent. I only had to touch up twice…and that’s taking into consideration I left the cigar in the ashtray for a short time. The Belinda would probably be a nice social cigar…probably something you could take to the club before or after a golf game. I do not suggest bringing this cigar with you on the course, however. I think a shorter vitola of this cigar might work better as it gets really dull towards the end. I ended up snuffing her short of the band due to the lack of dynamics. This cigar did not offer an array of changes in flavor throughout, yet did hold my attention as a nice, consistent cigar.

Ratings:

A) Appearance—The wrapper looks rough and full of veins. Looks like some wrapped it, messed up, unwrapped it, and then tried to re-wrap it with the same wrapper. (5)
B) Taste---I thought the taste was pretty good initially with a strong vanilla hit…this died quickly and this cigar got kind a boring (7)
C) Construction---Draw was slightly tight, but not enough to be unpleasant. The burn wasn’t too bad, but got frustrating after the second touch up. It was nice and even though. Ash was nice and gray and did not flake. (8)

Nice review. This places your overall rating at 6.8

I got left at the gate because of the USPS and as such this is my first review in our group review forum of low cost bundle cigars. The cigars have been sitting in my coolerdor for a week and today I decided to start the smoking process with the Belinda being the first subject. I smoked two of these cigars today before writting my review.

Low Cost Cigar Review
Cigar: Francisco Menendez: BELINDA
Size: 6.25 x 45
Wrapper Leaf: Maduro
Vitola: Corona Gorda
Handmade in Confradi, Honduras
Wrapper: Ecuador, Honduras
Binder: Honduran
Filler: Dominican Republic/Honduran

A: Appearance
Upon first taking this cigar out and examining it my first impression was, "This thing reminds me of a Jose La Piedra".
It was uncanny how much this reminded me of the JLP. The Wrapper is very toothy and a lighter maduro than I am used to. It is a very rough leafy wrapper with thick veins, rough texture and a fairly sloppy cap. I clipped the cap off entirely just below the cap leaf because I do not like the rough edges in my mouth when smoking a cigar with a cap like this. Appearance Rating = 6.5

B: Taste
The Pre-Light smell was very earthy, an aromatic tobacco smell with nuances of dirt. Upon Lighting the cigar I was met with more earth and a heavy leather taste with some cocoa nuances. As I smoked the cigar I was met with tastes that reminded me of a Padron Anniversario Maduro, Granted these were very slight tastes but there nonetheless. The cigar was never harsh and was quite mild but not in a wimpy manner. At the mid point the cigar continued to present leather tastes which devloped into a very woody finish. I liked the way this cigar tasted and to be quite honest with you I smoked a second one just before writting this review. Both sticks were comparable in taste, The first one I nubbed, the second I smoked down to the 1-1/2" point. This cigar reminded me very much of the Bolivar Cofradia Cuban Corona, a cigar I very much enjoy. (I just read that that cigar as this one are both attributed to Estelo Padron)Taste Rating=7.5

C: Construction
The construction is good, The roll is quite firm and the draw was excellent. The cigar is pretty well made and the Ash burned a whitish gray color while holding for almost two inches before falling off. If it wasn't for the sloppy cap and toothy nature of the wrapper leaf I would never have guessed this was a budget cigar. However that isn't the case, I'll still rate the Construction a solid 8. Construction = 8

Final Score = 7.42

I enjoyed this cigar very much, you can tell that these had been aged a while and I'm sure that had a lot to do with my enjoyment of it. I was totally taken aback by how much I enjoyed this thing. I have been smoking nothing but Habanos lately and actually hating most NC cigars, I was actually dreading smoking some of these sticks (I still might). I hope the rest of the cigars I have to smoke will come close to this one.

As others have stated before, thanks to Saxjazzman for the opportunity to sacrifice ourselves for the good of the tribe!

Now, on with the show……

The wrapper had a nice oily sheen though there was pronounced veins. There was some indication of looseness between the layers as it was rolled which might lead to unraveling later. The smell was not strong but had nice earthy overtones. The filler appeared tight and the cigar felt solid in my fingers. I cut and drew and confirmed that the draw was going to be too tight. This was not just “too tight to my liking” but really tight. After a few pokes the tightness seemed to ease a smidge.

From the get go this cigar was doomed. As I had worked so hard to get the draw even remotely free, frustration was looming on the horizon and manifested itself when the cigar would not light! There was little, if any, plume though there was ash being produced. There was plenty of smoke coming from the foot after each draw but not from the cavity of my mouth.

I proceeded to get ready to toss this aside and move on to better things when I recalled this was being done in the name of all Yardgarians everywhere. Mustering up the resolve I pressed on. One quarter through the predicted unraveling came to pass and tunneling began so as to not be out done. At this point the draw opened WIDE. Plumes of smoke were everywhere! But oh the flavor, bitter, black and not very plesant. Half way through I decided I’d done my fair share for Yardgarians for one evening and laid the poor monstrosity to rest, under the heal of my shoe…….

A) Appearance:

Wrapper looked as if it had a nice oily sheen though with pronounced veins and there appeared to be space or looseness between the layers as it was rolled. It smelled decent with some nice earthy scents. 7

B Taste:

The pre-draw flavor had a hint of chocolate and promised better things to come but they never really materialized and were instead realized with a bitter, black flavor. 5

C) Construction:

The external impression from this little number was that it had potential but left me feeling much disappointed from all the issues in getting the draw loosened to fighting it to stay lit. These coupled with the unraveling, tunneling and such I would not recommend this stick. 5

7+5+(1.5)5 = 19.50/3.5 = 5.57

Ouch! Maybe you should have tried another one?
Luckily mine were a bit better, Smoked another today with good results.
Just goes to show you, cigars from the same Ammo Can will sometimes smoke differently and produce different opions upon smokers.