• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Saint Luis Rey - Churchills A/T

Ginseng

Banned
Saint Luis Rey - Churchills A/T
Today's study smoke was a churchill from the Cuban Saint Luis Rey marca or brand. But not just any churchill, it was the relatively uncommon churchills A/T, in aluminum tube. The following blurb comes from "The Complete Guide for Habanos Enthusiasts" which was obtained as a promotional item from JR Cigars.
Saint Luis Rey was founded just before the Second World War.

Some say its name was taken from a Thornton Wilder play "The Bridge of San Luis Rey", which was popular at the time. However it is more likely that it refers to the town of San Luis in the heart of the Vuelta Abajo tobacco region, which is particularly famous for the superb wrapper leaves produced there.

Whatever the truth maybe (sic) Saint Luis Rey cigars enjoy a reputation among cigar lovers for the intensity of their flavour throughout the range. They are made with the leaves from Vuelta Abajo and Semi Vuelta regions.

All sizes are 'tripa large, totalmente a mano' - long filler, totally hand made.

Flavour: Full
The Saint Luis Rey marca is not as popular, in general, as some older brands such as Partagas, Montecristo, or Bolivar, however, certain cigars in the line are well regarded. For example, the Serie A, a coronas gordas, and the Regios, a robusto-like Hermosos No.4 have solid popular followings. The SLR size range is fairly broad, encompassing such classic vitolas de galera as the (prominentes) double coronas, lonsdale, coronas, and petit coronas (mareva).

I do not have very much experience with the SLR marca. In the past, I've tried the SLR-A and Regios and not found them to be to my liking. However, the opportunity to acquire some tubed churchills for my Habanos Tubos collection resulted in my getting a hold of a few with the cigars still in them. A treat indeed! So without further delay, on with the review.

Prelight Impressions
The day was nearly perfect for, well, anything. Temperate, low humidity, with only a gentle breeze, the day simply begged me to take a cigar and a drink outdoors. I didn't bring a snack today but I did bring something tasty and sweet. The accompaniment was a port. But it wasn't from Oporto, Portugal. The Mount Pleasant, Appellation August Port, Vintage 2001 came from Missouri! Grateful thanks for this intriguing bottle goes to my 2006 Secret Santa...I know who you are, now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Now I've had various table and dessert wines from wineries in New England and Long Island, but this was a first for me. Here is a photo of the bottle, my Schott-Zwiesel wine glass, and the subject of this review. I'll be reviewing the port separately, at the end of this post.
(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...LRandPort01.jpg)

Those who enjoy the classic port-cigar pairing will understand when I say that this is one of my favorite combinations. I find beer sometimes too bracing and distilled liquors too penetrating on the nose, but port is just right. The combination of sweetness, moderate alcohol content, and presence of tannins seems to play well with most any cigar. What could be better than...
(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...LRandPort02.jpg)

I have always had a fascination with tubed cigars. There's just something about the sleek shape, the sealing against time and the elements that appeals to both the aesthete and the engineer in me. Unlike many "naked" aluminum tubes, the SLR-C tube is painted a bright white. The lettering is classic, full of character, and the overall impression is one of understated elegance.
(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins.../SLRtubos01.jpg)

Upon uncapping the tube, I extract a classic Cuban Julieta2 or churchill, one of my favorite cigar sizes. It is long enough (7") to provide over 1.5 hours of smoke and ample opportunity for development and wide enough (47 ring) but not too fat to grip between the teeth. Comfortable and weighty in the hand, the churchill is not a cigar to be casually or hurriedly huffed. Yes, I have small hands. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins.../SLRtubos02.jpg)

The SLR-C wrapper has a texture characteristic of the larger, fine Habanos. It is not oily but tawny with a dryish texture like a cross between silk and suede. Tooth is very fine as is the veining. The wrapper and cap are expertly applied with great skill. I have only seen this quality and type of wrapper on old-school, top of the line cigars like the H. Upmann Sir Winston, Montecristo A, and Romeo y Julieta Churchills. To me, the appearance and demeanor of the SLR-C bespeaks the very best that Cuba has to offer.

Squeezing the barrel gently reveals an appropriately firm bunch with just the perfect amount of springy "give." Sniffing the length of cigar reveals a fresh, light aroma. Concentrating my sniffer on the foot, I pick up a prelight scent that is tangy and pure top/middle-tone tobacco with sweet, fruity, and floral notes. Absolutely fresh and delicate but clearly defined, this is top notch tobacco that has received the most pampered treatment.

Lightup and Early Stage
An examination of the head of the cigar reveals classic "triple cap" construction. If you ever find yourself wondering just what a "triple cap" should look like, here it is. As I typically do, I used my double-bladed Davidoff to simply score the cap above the shoulder (the "corner" where the barrel joins with the top of the cap). I only cut through the wrapper and any binder that extends above the shoulder but not the bunch. I find this "score and lift" technique to be effective in eliminating any sort of crushing or cracking trauma that might result from using even the sharpest of guillotine-style cutters. An additional benefit is that it gives me a clear look at the bunch. Call me a cigar nerd, but I like to see how the leaves are laid out and look for stems. In this case, the bunch is well-packed but not hard. A test draw reveals a comfortably snug draw that is just perfect for inducing a mindful smoking technique. Not so loose that you have to huff to keep it lit or get flavor. Yet not so tight that your eyeballs suck back into your head.
(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins.../SLRtubos04.jpg)

Lightup was uneventful with the foot readily ashing up after a brief toast and a few starter puffs. Lately I've been trying to minimize the flame exposure. My Blazer Microtorch produces a hot flame and so I've been refining my technique to reduce scorching, especially of lighter-bodied cigars. Now I toast lightly and only until I'm able to get the coal started. Once a portion of the foot is lit, I blow on the smoldering bits to spread and even out the burn. A few tiny touch-ups on the periphery of the foot and away we go!

Initial impressions are of a mild, light-bodied smoke that is primarily woody in nature. After the cigar has warmed up a bit, by the first 3/4" I'm starting to experience sweet straw or hay and a bready/oaty character. This is a pleasant cigar so far and in ways reminds me of how a Sir Winston starts out.

While the drawn smoke is demure, the trailing smoke (emanating directly from the foot) is like Mr. Hyde to its Dr. Jekyll. From the foot issues a pungent, crisp smoke that is heavily nutty with almonds. Quite a nice contrast that I make the most of by expelling nasally and then taking small inhalations from the vicinity of the foot. This is quite stimulating and really accentuates the character of the smoke from both ends of this engaging cigar.

The first ashing/purging takes place at about 1.25" in. At this point, the cigar is still very smooth and so purging has minimal effect. By the end of the first third, the SLR-C has become marginally stronger and developed a toasty aroma component.The draw remains just right. The burn is organically straight with a fairly thin burn line.

Smoke volume remains light to moderate and another ashing reveals a very short cone. What is the significance of a cone-shaped coal? There are various ideas on this phenomenon but the ones that make the most sense consider the composition of the bunch as well as the condition of cigar relative to smoking pace. Here is one account of what a cone means. Considering how mild the SLR-C has been so far, it makes sense that there might be little to no ligero in the blend, thus accounting for a short cone.
(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins.../SLRtubos05.jpg)

Late Stage and Finish
Moving into the second third, the trailing smoke continues to be more assertive and compelling than the drawn smoke. There is now an hint of an exotic, incense-like aroma that is deeply fragrant and challenges me to make the olfactory-memory connection. In an effort to help myself out, and because the smell is so attractive, I move into the garage. There with the door up, I can still enjoy the sunshine but sitting back a few feet from the threshold, I am sheltered from the errant breezes that dissipate my smoke. I still can't make the connection though...I guess I just don't have the specific experience and vocabulary.

Strength continues to build throughout the second third and the trailing smoke continues to be pungent and intoxicating. I decided to try drawing a bit more forcefully and find that the SLR-C responds. While the character is still primarily woody, hay, and bready, deeper, longer draws tease the cigar into revealing more floral character. By the end of the second third, I am still drawing more deeply and the cigar starts to release sweet wood and leathery notes while becoming steadily stronger and more full bodied but still medium at most.

At the start of the final third, I ash and purge again as this more forceful drawing seems to hasten the production of sharp, off flavors. Throughout the early part of the final third, the flavors continue to build. I am now getting sweet spices such as nutmeg and hints of coffee and cocoa. Flavor density has reached a crescendo. But alas, it doesn't stay this tasty. While assertive drawing coaxes more interesting flavors out of the tobacco, it also eventually sends the cigar into a downward spiral from which no amount of purging can help it recover its poise. Not destined for nubbing, I put this churchill down with 1.5" left.

In Summary
The Saint Luis Rey Churchills A/T is a wonderfully constructed, mild cigar with pleasant woody, sweet hay, and oaty flavors. The character is stable throughout its length but the cigar responds to draw technique. Great care must be exercised when pushing the SLR-C, however, as a sustained, assertive draw can result in permanent degradation. This is a cigar that merits experimentation to get the most of what you might want out of it. I am intrigued enough by this big stick to consider putting down a box for long term aging.

On a final note, here is a sequence of photos of the band. You can see that the embossing exhibits very little detail. This is one reason why I do not generally consider quality of embossing a useful factor in divining the authentic from the counterfeit.
(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins.../SLRtubos03.jpg)

Mount Pleasant Port, Appellation Augusta, Vintage 2001
Port is one of my favorite libations and one that I find pairs exceptionally well with cigars. Port spans a broad range of intensities from simple tawnies to highly extracted vintage portos. This range means that one can find a port to pair with just about any cigar.

The Mount Pleasant is a vintage port and if it were made in Portugal, I could tell you what that means in terms of quality. As an American-made port, it is not so clear. And so I resort to the tasting. MP is very dark but only moderately extracted with medium tannins. Its character is dark, almost smokey, with a flinty aspect. Mouthfeel is light and the finish is medium.

While an enjoyable pour, I think this style is not the best match for a milder cigar like the SLR-C. I found that the smokey overtones somewhat interfered with my ability to taste the delicate flavors in the cigar. I would, however, consider it a potentially good match for something like a Partagas Lonsdale or Montecristo No.2.

Wilkey

Beautiful! :love: Love to see the master at work...well done Wilkey.

Brian

Wow, what an incredible review. For those of us outside of 'the know', what year is this cigar? Thanks for a tremendous post Wilkey.

Wow, what an incredible review. For those of us outside of 'the know', what year is this cigar? Thanks for a tremendous post Wilkey.
This was 2006 vintage. I picked up a few singles to try so I'm afraid I don't have the codes.

Wilkey

We haven't been treated to a Wikey's Study Smoke in quite some time!
This was a real treat, and looks like an amazing smoke.

It also looks MUCH bigger than a churchill in that 4th pic... ;)

Thank you very much for the great read Wilkey!

Missouri Port Huh? Interesting........

We haven't been treated to a Wikey's Study Smoke in quite some time!
This was a real treat, and looks like an amazing smoke.

It also looks MUCH bigger than a churchill in that 4th pic... ;)
Hey,

I already admitted to having small hands! :p

It must be the wide angle lens setting on my point and shoot. It really didn't seem that huge in the hand. Now the SLR DC, even though it's just a pinch bigger, seems much more massive.

Wilkey

Ou.. that was a complex review. Very nice reading, thanks! :thumbs:

He's the best folks. There are so many things to learn from this post I don' t know where to begin. Maybe I'll start by reading it again.

Wow
Good review Wilkey.
Thanks mate,it made for an interesting read.

Nice review as always my brother!

Gonna have to order one of these to try for myself!

I am NOT posting another one of my sorry ass reviews after seeing this one!!! ???
Amazing review "master" Wilkey!!!
Very enjoyable read bro!!!

:thumbs:

A wonderful review Wilkey. :D

I love just about everything from SLR. I've not sampled the churchill yet. I might have to try a few sometime with a little age on them.