• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Linkwood 12yo Speyside Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Linkwood 12 yo Speyside Single Malt Whisky. 700 ml, standard tall bottle, 86 proof, Flora & Fauna series bottling, not available in the US, about $85 in my scotch buy.

Linkwood%2012.JPG

Linkwood is mostly used in blends for White Horse, Haig, Bells and Dimple with only about 1% of output bottled as a single malt with many independent bottlings available dating back to a 1939 vintage. It is also the main malt in Compass Box Asyla. The Flora and Fauna is the only current official bottling. Founded in 1821 by Peter Brown, Linkwood is one of the very few distilleries to have only closed for either war or upgrades. The business managers were very good and had an excellent product which kept the distillery open and producing. Because of the high demand for their product after the war, one manager even went so far as to order nothing to be changed even the cobwebs (!) to maintain the original quality. This may have worked but the distillery was refurbished in 1962 and expanded with 4 more stills in 1971. The old side of the distillery closed in 1985 but reopened again in 1990. Some feel that the old side produces a slightly heavier spirit then the new but I can't say myself.

After a wonderful dinner of glazed ham, green beans, and mashed potatoes I sat back with a glass of Linkwood and my notepad in hand prepared to write my review for the evening. Linkwood is a light golden color, much lighter then the picture would indicate. It goes a shade or two less in the glass too. The nose is very fruity, ripe pear, peach sweet grass and a bit of spice waft out of the glass to await you. The taste is medium sweet with pears and apples mixed with a nice spiciness and a slight nuttiness on the sides. The finish is medium long with apples continuing along with anise coming on at the end.

For a light whisky this has all the complexity one could ask for. Perfect for a summer's evening after dinner it needs no accompaniment of water or ice unless this is your preference. One of the best digestif drams you can find for under $100. ACE! :thumbs:

Sounds like a great one AVB! :thumbs: I wish I had gotten in on your last buy with this one. :(

Remind me if I don't post it in the next buy, it's easy enough to get.

When's the next buy Ray? I love Speyside, just have to get my resources together, thanks. :thumbs:

I'll put up the list end of July/early August.

I love when you review the ones we can't get here in the states. It gives me something to dream about.