• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What would cause this.....?

Charley

The Coolest Guy You Know
So I have a few custom rolled smokes (robusto size) that I got a few months back and so far the two that I have smoked only lasted about a half inch before the wraper completly unravled (sp?) and fell off. The cigars appear to be very well made and taste and smell great. I thought the first one was a fluke but yesturday I grabbed another one and the same thing happened. I've never had this happen to any other cigar and I've had them stored now for a few months and haven't had this problem with some other viotolas from the same source. Could this be just poor construction or could they possibly need some time to rest (I belive the were very fresh when I recieved them). Anyone have any ideas... ???

Perhaps the cigars were rolled backwards. Seriously. If you reverse wrap a cigar, it will unravel when you try to smoke it. So for example, if you were to clip the head off of a production robusto and tried to light that and draw through the foot, the cigar would quickly unravel.

Wilkey

I have this issue too but I think it's my cutter. I have a colibri double guilletine (sp?) and its gauge isn't that big so sometimes I have to stuff it in there (gently) to cut it. I think the blades are getting dull and not giving me as clean a cut which tends to make the wrapper at the base peel. As the bottom heats up, it gets worse.

at which end does the wrapper start unrolling?
Curse me for a newb. Excellent catch.

If it's unrolling from the head, you've cut too much off. Lop off the cap leaf and the wrapper will unwind.

If it's unrolling from the foot, the cigar is reverse wrapped. This would be a serious production error and I can't conceive of a cigar such as this making it past QC.

Wilkey

It's unwrapping from the foot. It lighs up and burns well for about 1/2 an inch, then it starts to unwrap. The first one held on in the middle but as I smoked it down a little further it unrolled all the way to the head. The second one unrolled all the way and just came off, again after about 1/2 inch burned down. If I remember correctly the wrapper was rolled up to the left ( if holding it with the foot pointing up) if that helps. they are custom rolled so I doubt there is any quality control. They do taste very good though and the 2 figurados that I smoke from the same source had no problems whatsoever. I'm thinking it must be a constuction problem and that is a shame because they really are very tasty.

Would you be able to post a few photos of the foot? Take some macros from around the periphery if you can please. If you do not have hosting, PM me and I can post for you or you may use the CP album facility.

Wilkey

Am I the only one who simply throws some Scotch tape on there and keeps puffing away?

Am I the only one who simply throws some Scotch tape on there and keeps puffing away?

I just inhale more frequently and with greater force !

Just kidding... I hope you can solve this problem. It certainly must be a heartbreaker to sit down in anticipation of a good smoke, only to have it unravel before you disbelieving eyes.

Darren

They are reverse wrapped.

This is a pretty boneheaded screwup. I cannot imagine even a novice torcedor committing this error. I find it even more inconceivable that cigars like this would get past even the most cursory of quality control or pre-ship inspections.

Wilkey

This is a pretty boneheaded screwup. I cannot imagine even a novice torcedor committing this error. I find it even more inconceivable that cigars like this would get past even the most cursory of quality control or pre-ship inspections.
But... but... they came in a glass top box!!

:sign:

Wilkey

Wow. For educational purposes, how the hell could you tell by those pics?

Wilkey

Wow. For educational purposes, how the hell could you tell by those pics?
I'll be back tonight with a brief primer on reverse wrapping.

Wilkey

If I'm not mistaken, it should go from the foot to the head and overlap as it goes.

Upon further inspection of the last 3 that I still have, 2 of them seem to be wrapped incorrectly and one of them looks ok. I guess I'll find out when I smoke it. I also have 5 "A" size and diademas from the same source but they look ok as well (at least to my untrained eye). Anyway thanks for the help everyone.

Just had the same problem with the same make and model of cigar. Fortunatly, due to this thread I was prepared and was able to keep a finger on the wrapper just below the burn to hold it in place. The very thin wrapper made it difficult to inspect the other four I have, but they all appear to be properly rolled. Look before you light on these.

Ditto

Just had the same problem with the same make and model of cigar. Fortunatly, due to this thread I was prepared and was able to keep a finger on the wrapper just below the burn to hold it in place. The very thin wrapper made it difficult to inspect the other four I have, but they all appear to be properly rolled. Look before you light on these.