• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Inchgower 14 yo Speyside Single Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Inchgower 14 yo Sperside Single Malt Scotch Whiskey, Standard bottle, no additional packaging, 86 proof, 700ml, Not available in the US, About $85 in my scotch buys

Inchgower%2014.JPG

With only 2 official distillery releases, this being one of them, in the last decade or more, Inchgower isn't that well known amongst the US single malt drinkers. With 4 stills and producing over 2 million liters a year mostly for Bells, Johnnie Walker and White Horse blends it uses less then 1% of the output in Single Malts. Although the distillery was built in 1871 it is really older having moved from the Tonicheal distillery (built in 1824) when the landlord there doubled the rent! It is also unusual in that the nearby town of Buckie bought and ran the distillery for 6 years before selling it to Arthur Bell & Sons. Like most distilleries it was closed during both wars but didn't have any extended periods of closure as so many others did.

Inchgower, IMO, seems to take age very well. The 27 yo Rare Malts is a superb dram as is the 24 yo Coopers Choice bottling although not quite as good as the Rare Malts. There is also a 19 yo Sherry Casked version bottled by Cadenhead that came out in the mid 90's which I found quite nice too.

This, however, isn't up to the same lofty standards as the previously mentioned drams. I'm certain another 5-10 years would do wonders for it though.

As you can see this is a fairly pale yellow-gold in the bottle and lightens up more in the glass. The nose is very light and fresh with grass and a bit of apple mixing with a touch of sweetness. The taste is jasmine and orange mixing with a fairly good amount of spiciness. It all finished up in a medium length of time with a perfumey quality and a bit of tartness.

Overall a nice light, fresh, easy drinking dram that needs just a touch of something to bring it out of the middle of the pack.

I guess it isn't that popular 25 looks, 0 comments.

I found the background info interesting... :)

I'm still trying to catch up with what IS available in the US before I get to what isn't! :laugh:

I guess it isn't that popular 25 looks, 0 comments.

I don't think that is it Ray. It's hard to comment on an $80 bottle that rates in the lower end of the mid range for the money without looking like a jerk. After reading your review I looked this up online and in a couple of books. Like usual your review is spot on.

Simply put I wasn't inspired by this scotch but thanks for taking the time to post your notes.