• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quick question about Boveda packs

IanHummel

I have the packs in the humidor now for 6 days. On the packs it says not to open the humidor for 10 days (or when the RH is at 84%), but unfortunately, I don't have a glass top to check my digi. This is my first time using the boveda packs, so I was wondering if it's ok to open my humi real quick to check the RH or no? I tried searching for "seasoning" "boveda seasoning" "seasoning with Boveda" and a couple others before making this post and could find the answer to this.

Thanks in advance. :D

Patience is a virtue that all of us suffer from. A quick glance will not hurt it just use your judgment. Good luck with your project!

Ian, Though I've never used this method, it seems to me that the directions tell you not to open the humi for ten days so that you don't release any of the humidity. I don't think that briefly opening your humidor will release enough humidity to inhibit the seasoning process.

Sounds good. Thanks to both of your for your input. You are correct, it is very hard to let this beautiful humidor sit on my desk unused as my sticks sit in this big ugly box that I have. I'm going to see what it's at and let it sit for the rest of the period.

EDIT:
It's been seasoning for 5 days now and it's only at 70%. Anyone with experience using the packs before, is this normal? Oh well, I'll let it take its course for the next 5 days.

I wouldn't worry about it. It takes time to gradually saturate the wood to that level, so if you are at 70% rh that sounds about right.

My wife went through the same thing that you are going through now. She did not let the humi season long enough, and now we are trying to raise the RH, slowly because I have a few sticks in there. For a while it hung at 60%, so the wife was adding s few sprays of water to the beads. after doing that twice with no luck, I had her wait a few days to see what would happen. The rh dropped to 59/58. So now I had her put a shot glass of distilled water in the humi to see what happens. I will have her check it today, and see where we are. The hardest part about this is she in in TX, and I am in Iraq, and I am trying to trouble shoot and come up with a fix over the internet. My wife is the best, but she can not get me the information i am asking for, she just does not "get it" right now. But as soon as I get home, I will get her up to speed.

Tim

Mine went up to about 74% and stayed. I spoked with Viper and he said to go ahead and swap out the packets with the 65% beads. I did that and all has been well ever since.

Wood is permeable, and humidor seasoning takes time, no matter what method you use. The Bovida packs are pretty cool, and you should follow their directions to the letter. I would also offer that I have seen humis that took a month or two to really settle down and provide a stable RH environment. Patience now will yield good results for a long time to come.... :cool:

Good luck - B.B.S.

Wood is permeable, and humidor seasoning takes time, no matter what method you use. The Bovida packs are pretty cool, and you should follow their directions to the letter. I would also offer that I have seen humis that took a month or two to really settle down and provide a stable RH environment. Patience now will yield good results for a long time to come.... :cool:

Good luck - B.B.S.
Right on. Not only is wood a moisture reservoir, it also passes moisture from one side to the other (in-out or the other way around) so the entire humidor system is always in a state of dynamic equilibrium. If interior humidity is 65%, then the wood will be in the range of 12-14%

So basically, if you keep you humi someplace where the temperature and humidity swings, the beads/PG/wood/cigars will buffer the internal conditions and smooth out fluctuations.

I would think that a few weeks would be more than sufficient for a well sealing humi to season up.

Wilkey