• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coffee

jfields

Where did all my money go?
Decided to do this for Insights Pass lesson. I got the idea to do this experiment after a little prodding from a BOTL on here. I have always loved a good cup of coffee, and recently I was introduced to the French Press method of making it at a HERF. At first I thought it may have been one of those "Moment" things, but Mr. Jerry gave me the final push that I needed to go out and invest in the thirty dollars for my own press.

Well today I decided to do a side by side comparison to see if there really was a noticable difference in taste. Here is what I found...................
First I got out all of the necessary equipment to brew a pot of French Press and Drip coffee.
coffee005.jpg

Then I chose for this experiment, my favorite beans...... Killer Beans Carribean Cutthroat. If you have not dealt with Mr. Jerry yet, I highly reccomend you do so. :thumbs:
coffee006.jpg

I then proceeded to use a blade grinder to do a coarse grind for the French Press, and a medium grind on the Drip. From left to right, coarse and medium.
coffee008.jpg

I used filtered water to make both, and an unbleached brown paper filter in the Drip pot. They both had the same aroma when the final product was done. However, sight and taste was a whole different story. If you look closely in the picture below you can see a difference in appearance. The coffee on the left is the French Press. It has a fair amont of oil that rose to the top of the cup after being poured. The one on the right has basically none. This, I am told, is due to the paper filter wicking and trapping the oils, not letting them go into the coffee.
coffee010.jpg

Now the final part of this was a taste comparison. Here is what I learned....... There is a huge difference in my opinion. While both cups were very good, the French Press had quite a bit more pronounced flavor. It had a very heavily toasted nut/coffee. flavor. This coffee has a very dark roast that borders on burnt. This to me is a good thing, and the Press pulls that profile out with some others that I can't identify, quite a bit more. I will say that there is a caramel flavor in the CC, but that may just be the Sugar In The Raw. If you're into coffee, then I reccomend investing in a good French Press ................. As well as some Killer Beans. :whistling: Anyone want a used Drip pot? :laugh:

Very good J! Your assessment of the difference between coffee made through a drip coffee maker vs. a french press was dead on - minus the S&R LOL! The experts say that the french press is the best way to actually taste the true flavors of the coffee. Over the years I've worked for Starbucks (Going on my 4th year), I've really become fond of french presses, but at times they can be extremely impractical, which is their only downfall. Unless you have a very simple/fast way to get boiling water, using a french press takes double the time that a drip coffee maker takes. I'm really glad you're enjoying your french press bro! :thumbs: Welcome to the real world of coffee :love:

You've been here long enough to read the coffee threads in the SALOON.

You've been here long enough to read the coffee threads in the SALOON.
Actually, looked and did not see it, so I decided to post it in the Lobby.

Edit to say: Nope! Went back to look........ It all pertains to some type of beverage that contains alcohol, but I did not find a coffee/tea thread. ;)

Nice work J! I have been trying to talk the wifey in to letting me get one for a while now... I will definitely give it anoher go after reading this one. I might heve to "find one at a garage sale" haha! " It was only a buck honey!" LOL

~Jadon

That's an interesting exercise John, thanks for sharing.

I'm a coffee fanatic, done a lot of research and used various methods to brew coffee. To cut a long story short...
This is what I have learned and of course it is , IMO, based on my tastes. Coffee needs to be brewed at the right temperature (drip coffee),
this means that the water temp has to be right. I use a Technivorm Clubline KB-741 Brewer (the only machine tha claims to heat the water
to the correct brewing temp). In addition, I use a Swiss Gold filter.

The machine and filter will set you back well over $200 but there is a huge difference to what you are using in your picture, to this set up. One thing
I've left out is the grinder. There are good conical grinders and there are excellent conical grinders, I believe I use the best. Using a blade grinder
burns the coffee.

If you did the same test with my set up, you may come to a different conclusion. Maybe you should just come on over for a smoke and some Brian
brewed coffee...ask Charlie what he thinks of my coffee.

Brian

Thanks for the info, I am also a lover of the bean, who now realizes a whole new experience awaits. I have several friends who have high end espresso machines that can make a good cup of that rocket fuel.

But I know no one who has a press. May have to buy one myself to get to try it.

Anyone know what to look for in buying one? recommend brand names, is there different types?

Thanks, Mark

Just curious John, what kind of grinder is that? Blade or burr? I use a burr grinder for both drip and french press.

Depending on how busy my day is and what it involves I use both methods of brewing. If its all work, drip. If its gar time and relaxation on the back patio, french press. Also, I drink my coffee black. None of that milk and sugar crap to get in the way of the true flavors! :sign:

That's an interesting exercise John, thanks for sharing.

I'm a coffee fanatic, done a lot of research and used various methods to brew coffee. To cut a long story short...
This is what I have learned and of course it is , IMO, based on my tastes. Coffee needs to be brewed at the right temperature (drip coffee),
this means that the water temp has to be right. I use a Technivorm Clubline KB-741 Brewer (the only machine tha claims to heat the water
to the correct brewing temp). In addition, I use a Swiss Gold filter.

The machine and filter will set you back well over $200 but there is a huge difference to what you are using in your picture, to this set up. One thing
I've left out is the grinder. There are good conical grinders and there are excellent conical grinders, I believe I use the best. Using a blade grinder
burns the coffee.

If you did the same test with my set up, you may come to a different conclusion. Maybe you should just come on over for a smoke and some Brian
brewed coffee...ask Charlie what he thinks of my coffee.

Brian

I love the way your wife makes the coffee!!!! :sign:

No really, Brian has this down to a tee! I would say that the best cup of coffee I have ever had was at Brian's place. Brian is also correct in that the temperature is key along with the filter being used (I use the gold for drip as well). This is a trial and error process and even after you think you have perfected it you feel its time for a change.

. Using a blade grinder
burns the coffee.

ask Charlie what he thinks of my coffee.

Brian

I have heard that before. I was told the way to avoid that with a blade grinder, is to use short pulse grinds with five second pauses. Or, invest in a grinder like you have.

You mean Putz? ???

I love using my French press.

I also have a little one for a fast cup.

960741439_a6e842d450.jpg

Great post John, thanks for doing it!!

I've been toying with the idea of making a "how-to" for using a French Press. I've turned so many people over from cheap drip to the FP it isn't funny.

snip... I use a Technivorm Clubline KB-741 Brewer
.....snip......
Using a blade grinder burns the coffee
......snip
I've heard of that machine Brian, but have never read a rating on it. You're right that almost no drip machine heats the water hot enough for proper extraction. If that one does it, it may be in the cards!!!
Not sure I agree with the blade grinder burning the coffee though. Someone else said if used correctly it won't, and I agree with that. That being said, I have a Gaggia MDF that I use at home for Espresso and FP, but I do use a blade here at work.

snip......
Anyone know what to look for in buying one? recommend brand names, is there different types?

Bodum is the name in French Presses Mark. I have 3, 1 here in the office and 2 at home. I'm sure there are other names out there that are probably just as good, but Bodum is the name that always gets recommended.

French Press for me. A recent aquisition too. I've started drinking coffee black out of it because I can taste so much.

Just curious John, what kind of grinder is that? Blade or burr? I use a burr grinder for both drip and french press.

Depending on how busy my day is and what it involves I use both methods of brewing. If its all work, drip. If its gar time and relaxation on the back patio, french press. Also, I drink my coffee black. None of that milk and sugar crap to get in the way of the true flavors! :sign:
I used a blade grinder Charlie. I like mine black with just a touch of Sugar in the raw. Enough to give it another flavor, but not enough to make it sweet at all.

Bodum is the name in French Presses Mark. I have 3, 1 here in the office and 2 at home. I'm sure there are other names out there that are probably just as good, but Bodum is the name that always gets recommended.

This is what I bought, and so far I have been very pleased with it. I got mine locally on sale for thirty dollars. Mysterea tells me you can find them online for around twenty five. Don't know if that includes shipping.

Edited to add: One thing to consider for those new to French Press, is that I am told it is easy to crack the glass pitcher with a spoon when stirring the contents. I got one of those plastic alcoholic beverage stirrers that does the trick well.

I just drank the last of my Carribean Cutthroat yesterday. Still have a bag of the Kalossi Knockout, though. Maybe I'll run my own experiment. ;)

You mean you guys don't add egg shells and salt then percolate your coffee? Bunch of Nancy boys.

Doc.

Recently, I went to Monmouth Coffee in Borough Market and enjoyed a cup of single brewed drip coffee. Before this experience I was almost completely partial to the french press, but, I must say, this cup of joe was just too good. There is something to be said for a good cup of drip coffee. Also, the contraption that you buy to make your very own at home is not an expensive piece at all.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...FDGA1IKPST1.DTL

Excellent review.

Folks, make note: John typically has good taste, but make note of the Marmite in the first pic.
This, apparently is a 'yeast extract' and although normally I love things produced with yeast, I suspect this stuff is freakin' gross.

Excellent review.

Folks, make note: John typically has good taste, but make note of the Marmite in the first pic.
This, apparently is a 'yeast extract' and although normally I love things produced with yeast, I suspect this stuff is freakin' gross.

OMG! That is the foulest stuff on the face of this planet. Whenever I smell that crap, wet feet stuck in leather boots for days on end comes to mind.

Not to self: Yell at wife for keeping Marmite that close to my coffee when I get home. :laugh: