• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

2007 Chieftain's Cigar Malt Reviews

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
I received some sample bottles from Ian Macleod yesterday with a little of each of the three cigar malts and thought I'd give a quick review of each. The specifications listed below are for the actual releases and not these sample bottles

Chieftains%20Cigar%20Malt%202007.JPG

The colors are really very close between the three and any discrepancys you see is in the photograph and not that much in reality.

The following applies to all three versions:
700ml, short squat bottle, wood case package bottled 9/07.

Cigar recommendations are from the distiller

Mild: 109.8 proof, distilled 2/19/96, finished in Maderia casks. 372 bottles.

The Cigar Malt (Classic): 108.8 proof, distilled 4/7/94, finished in Chateau la Nerthe casks. 618 bottles

Robusto: 110.2 proof, Distilled 7/4/97, finished in a bourbon Hogshead. 270 bottles

ChieftainsCigarMalt.jpg

I'll start with the mild version first. The nose is soft & fruity with a bit of spiciness. The taste is very smooth if a few drops of water are added. Green apples and oak with a good malt sweetness. The finish is fairly long with soft fruit and toffee.

This was made to go with milder cigars such as the Ramon Allones Robusto or Hoyo de Monterry Epicure No2.

The Classic version steps it up a notch nosing a good oak with fruit and spices. The taste is raspberry immediately followed by a malt and pepperiness with a sherry feel although none was stored in sherry casks. The finish is really long and sweet on the sides of the tongue. Even without the designation of being a "Cigar Malt" this would be a good dram.

Matches well to a Maria Mancini Especial, a full-bodied Mexican puro, Romeo Y Julieta Short Churchill or CAO Cameroon Robusto.

The Robusto version noses big, oily and smoky and reminds me of Caol Ila in many ways. No doubt this is an Islay whisky. The taste is phenolic, smokey and peaty with a good level of malt and sweetness. The finish is smokey, sweet and hugely long.

Matches to a Cohiba Robusto, Vegas Robaina Familiar or other full bodied cigars.

I wish I could buy all three but I do have a favorite that will be gracing my shelf sometime next year.

......just in time for the holidays...!!.... :thumbs:

Thanks for the sneak peek, AVB - I can't wait.

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Sounds very good AVB, I'll go with the Classic and the Robusto, great review.

It's funny. The same time I was asking if you had a chance to try any of them you were preparing this review. Thanks, AVB. I'll definitely be getting some.

Thanks for the reviews on the three versions. Looking forward to the robusto cigar malt :thumbs:

I am absolutely amazed that I'm getting 1 out of 618 bottles in the entire world. Outf@$kingstanding. Thanks Ray for doing this for us.

Doc.

Amazing, Im so glad I had a chance to get in on this. Thanks a ton Ray for all the information you supply to the board and the wonderful chances to try some of the finer things in life that I myself can not source.

Nate

Ray,

What was your impression of the three drams? Which one did you like the best. The classic is the only one that you said was a "good" dram.

A revisit of the Robusto version in preparation of what I hope is more available in March. Still puts the Dalmore to shame and with the current exchange rate it should be under $100 this time. One can hope anyway.

I got a bottle of the Robusto and I've shared a few drams with others. Its pretty potent stuff that I just can't handle. I think I'll hold onto it for those guests who think they like peat, because its peat, tar, shingles, and burnt tire rubber all rolled into a glass.

Maybe you'll go for the Classic the next time around.

I got a bottle of the Robusto and I've shared a few drams with others. Its pretty potent stuff that I just can't handle. I think I'll hold onto it for those guests who think they like peat, because its peat, tar, shingles, and burnt tire rubber all rolled into a glass.

I'll be expecting a review.

(Of the Cigar Malt, not the 'ol Lady. :p )

Spent the night celebrating the 27th anniversary with the lil'lady. Watching the sun come up with an Opus X Perfecxion X and a glass full of Chieftain's Cigar Malt.

(Special thanks to Ray! I finally opened it. :laugh: )

Since you asked.

Chieftain's Cigar Malt 2009 Bottling, 6th Edition

100_9603.jpg

As stated above this is the 6th annual bottling of Chieftain's Cigar Malt. This years version (bottled May 2009) came from sherry butt #3661 which produced 534 bottles and bottled at or near cask strength of 55.6% ABV, 111.2 proof. I looked but couldn't find a bottle number per say, but feel free to assume I have one of the 534. I purchased the bottle from our friend AVB in the March 2010 scotch buy that he of course hosted here on Cigarpass.

After a day and 1/2 of celebrating another year of marriage with my wife I feel asleep on the couch as usual around 9 pm. I woke up around 2 am and put the wife to bed. Don't worry, no review of that will be given. :blush: As much as I tried I couldn't get back to sleep so after about 90 minutes of tossing and turning I got up around 4 am and headed to the scotch room for a drink. I know, I'm a degenerate. (And now, so do you.)

CCM noses of oranges, sherry and apples. Adding a few drops of water helped bring out the aromas. I use nothing but room temp Voss water as I don't trust the quality of my ice filter and I've noticed I get more clouding in these non chill filtered scotches if I add a cube. The clouding doesn't affect the taste mind you, but I find it less appealing to look at in the glass. Your mileage may vary. The 1st tasting was quite spicy and warm. I tasted pretty much what I smelled with oranges, sherry and apples followed immediately by an intense alcohol burn. As with the nosing a few drops of water took care of the burn and made this much more enjoyable on my palette. It seemed to bring out a slight smokiness along with a little more sherry influence than what I noticed before. There appeared to be a fair amount of oil rolling down the sides of my glass (legs) but I wouldn't say it tasted silky. There is more of a drying that hits the tongue after you swallow. The finish last a good long while and is quite satisfying.

After consuming about 1/2 my drink I retreated out back by the pool and fired up an Opus X Perfection X. The one I smoked is listed as a number 5 on the Opus reference chart here. I'm not sure if Fuente numbers all of them or not, I'm far from an Opus expert but they went well together. I wouldn't recommend pairing this scotch with a mild cigar.

This version of Chieftain's Cigar Malt is quite enjoyable and I have no problem recommending it to anyone that is lucky enough to find a bottle. You'll have to forgive me as I can't remember what it cost. It wasn't bad, seems like it was around $100.00.

A nice review, glad you enjoyed it. The Chieftain's have always made a good Cigar Malt and at $127 it was $28 less then the time before. I hope at some point to be able to offer them again. I do have a Douglas Laing Cigar Malt I'm working on though.