• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Allt-A-Bhainne 14 yo Single Malt

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Allt-A-Bhainne Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky, G&M bottling, 86 proof, box packaging as shown, not available in the US, about $85 delivered from the UK.

Allt-A-Bhainne%201991.JPG

Allt-A-Bhainne (The Burn of Milk in Gaelic and pronounced: olta-VAYne) is a fairly new distillery as these things go having been built in 1975 to supply blending whisky for Seagram. It was doubled in size to 4 million liters in 1990 and modernized even more. After the sale to Pernod in 1999 it was mothballed in 2002 and then reopened in 2005. There has never been an official single malt although there have been a very few independent bottlings such as the one being reviewed. Most of the production is used for the blends of Chivas Regal, Passport, Something Special and 100 Pipers.

A superb dinner of saged pork with a Brie en Croute with mushrooms and port I was ready to kick back and to a review after letting things settle for a hour or so. Allt-A-Bhainne is a very light straw yellow in the bottle and even a shade lighter in the glass. All of this malt is stored in ex-bourbon casks although the supplying distillery is unknown one can be sure it is from someplace that produces fairly young bourbon or there would be a deeper color in the malt.

This Allt-A-Bhainne noses clean and fresh with pears being noticed amidst some floral notes. The taste is sweet with a little malt before some alcohol shows itself. The finish is fairly short and ends with a bit of pepper spice that isn't apparent in the tasting.

At 14 years this dram shows potential that some younger versions don't seem to have but it still could use more time before being bottled IMO. As it stands, this is a fair mid-range whisky but certainly nothing to get overly excited about.