• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Short story with a sun grown wrap

KeyserSoze

Well I couldn't wait to light one of these up so here goes. Here was the initial process of re-wrapping. http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=40722 . Basically took a Double chateau sun grown wrapper and applied it to a short story. May have used abit more torcedor than I wanted but it was abit hard to bind that wrapper on the ends of this perfecto. It sat in a low humidity humidor/dry box for a couple days. Did not seem wet which was my only concern from the re-wrap so here it goes...

Expectations: Not a huge fan of the hemingway (cameroon) line but love the maduros and I'm a sucker for sun grown wrapped cigars. I was hoping this would change the experience by adding the sun grown wrapper to the short story. Now I would not pass on smoking a short story or any other hemingway but it's just not my goto cigar.

Environment: Office/Smoking room, Temp: Rain-37*, Age: 2days in dry box, Paired: Water.

Cigar: A. Fuente Short story re-wrapped with sun grown wrapper from Double Chateau SG.
Size: 4x48
Wrapper: Sun grown
Binder/Filler: DR
Price: $5-short story ; $7-double chateau sg =$12

1/3:
I always have trouble with perfectos. Don't ever seem to start out even but this one did. Only time I reached for the lighter was the initial light. Started out with some cedary spice and a little bitter. Received a perfect amount of smoke and knew this was not going to be a plugged one. It also had a small amount of harsh leather but the sweetness from the wrapper began to overpower that and started to smooth out the negatives

2/3:
The middle third was probably the best part of the smoke. The bitter and harsh flavors have gone and it has smoothed out to a nice sweet spice with some woody notes. Very tasty and my only wish was the entire cigar tasted like this.

3/3:
At the end, it started to go downhill. It became somewhat grassy and was that sawdust I tasted? It wasn't bad enough to end it early but just not quite enjoyable. Spice and leather come back here and there but not enough to save the experience. Started to get abit hot so nubbing it was not an option.

Conclusion: Burned like a champ. No wrapper issues and no touch ups necessary. First 2/3 were tasty but towards the end it just did a 180 on me and left a wierd taste. Is it worth the time spent and the $12? No. Was it worth the experience? Absolutely. Probably the closest I'll get to smoking a hemi sun grown and it was alot of fun testing my rolling capabilities. I may do it again but with another cigar like a don carlos or another hemi sig. I guess it was just out of boredom and curiosity to see how much a wrapper can change a cigar but I won't base it on just this experience alone. Too many factors to consider.

ShortStorySG.jpg

Interesting concept in stripping the cameroon and rewrapping with the SG. Nice review and pics. :thumbs:

Very cool. How did the wrapper hold up? Based on the pictures it looks just fine!

Practice makes perfect. Keep on rolling and smoking :thumbs:

Very cool! Thank you for sharing your experiment with us.

Now how about throwing a VSG wrapper on a Petit Lancero? I'd smoke that. :D

Wilkey

Very cool! Thank you for sharing your experiment with us.

Now how about throwing a VSG wrapper on a Petit Lancero? I'd smoke that. :D

Wilkey

I like the way you think Wilkey. After my post I saw an 858 maduro and a opusx no5 checking each other out in the humi. ;) This could get ugly....

That's a crazy idea! Glad it worked so well!

Now if you could re-wrap 858s and sell them you'd make a fortune! :laugh:

Pffffffft.... not impressed until you make a BTL. :sign:

Just kidding. Bang up job. How'd it smoke? ---- Nvm, read your edit.

Holy shit! My favorite line along w/ my favorite Opus........DAMN!

You are out of control! :laugh:

Can't wait for the reviews to let us know how they smoke? :D

Cool concept. I wish I had the talent to do something like this. Keep up the good work. :)

young_frankenstein_doc_small.jpg

Ok now that's just impressive.

I'll be a test dummy on smoking.