• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glenrothes Select Reserve

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Glenrothes Select Reserve, 750ml, short squat bottle, open box packaging, 80 proof, $35-40, available nationwide.

Glenrothes%20Select%20Reserve.JPG

The Glenrothes Select Reserve arrived at my door as part of the Old Fart bomb that some of the more uppity members decided to hit me with. This whisky was a Gold Medal winner at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition in 2006. Comprised of a vatting (a blend of single malts) of different aged Glenrothes, all on the youngish side, it carries no age statement but is believed to be made from 4 to 8 year old whiskies.

The Glenrothes was in part founded by the owner of Macallan-Glenlivet in 1878 but the company went bankrupt during construction. In one of those odd occurrences that could only happen in Scotland, it was saved by a £600 loan from the United Presbyterian Church at neighboring Knockando. Burnt down in 1922 it was rebuilt in time to close shortly thereafter for the war. Stills were increased from 4 to 6 in 1963 and futher grown to 10 stills in 1980. Very popular with blenders and is a major part of Cutty Sark and Famous Grouse brands among others. Only about 2% of the output of 5.6 million liters goes to single malts.

This sample is a pale amber in the bottle and even lighter in the glass with a nose that is light citrus, a little spicy with a bit of toffee. Tasting gives some vanilla, lemon fruit and a dollop of pepper. The finish is medium long with the spices and toffee holding on until the end.

Overall a nice before dinner dram that gives a good hint of what the Glenrothes Vintage bottlings are like at a sixth of the price.

Funny that you should review this today. I had a dram of it yesterday while smoking a Tatuaje Brown. Excellent review as usual, Ray. It's one that I'll have to refer to next time I drink this and compare notes.

The more reviews the better, I'll be looking for your notes.

Funny that you should review this today. I had a dram of it yesterday while smoking a Tatuaje Brown. Excellent review as usual, Ray. It's one that I'll have to refer to next time I drink this and compare notes.

The missus picked this up along with a bottle of tequila for Cinco de Mayo last night. I initally put two pieces of ice in it to open the flavor but found it really only needed one. The nose had a hint of citrus and the taste had vanilla and hints of spice. All in all, a good value-priced scotch that pairs well with a mild-medium cigar.

Ray, after reading this review I just had to go and get a bottle this past week. I enjoyed it a bunch, it had some nice floral scents and tasted along with it having a nice sweet smooth finish (probably the vanilla/toffee taste that is present throughout the glass). There is very little spice on the tongue, this seems to be more of an after dinner finish to me but I may be wrong. It did pair nicely with an 8-5-8 Maduro I smoked with it.

Sam

Nice review. I picked up a bottle of this a few months ago as my introduction into Single malt. I really enjoyed it. You clearly get that crisp clean taste with the very obvious (but not overpowering) vanilla notes. I drank it with a few drops of water and let it set for a few minutes. I tried it before and after the water. From an educational stand point I would recommend this to other beginners becuase you can clearly tell the difference. As a beginner it was a decent introduction and left me wanting to try more. Since then I have given several bottles out as gifts (one to my boss who happens to be a women who loves scotch and one to Moki when his wife had the new baby).