• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anejo with OpusX wrapper

KeyserSoze

Anejo-OXwrapper.jpg

I've been on a re-wrapping phase as of late. Just finished off a WOA with a sun grown wrapper and it came out pretty good. Well after the short story sun grown I decided to swap out wrappers from and OpusX and anejo 46. This has been more of an experiment to see how much a wrapper can effect a cigar and my preference of tastes. For instance I like the hemingway line but love the hemi maduros. I like the 858's but love the 858 sun growns. So today I decided to light up the anejo wrapped opus and see how it came out.

Now first off, I assumed I wouldn't have enough wrapper from the opus no5 for the entire anejo 46 so I had to cut an inch or so off. Even with this, I didn't have enough to cap it off but I didn't see a problem with that. There were a couple of patches but mainly because the opus wrapper wasn't perfect in shape after unwrapping it. Regardless it rewrapped nice and tight on the anejo.

Cigar: Anejo with an OpusX no.5 wrapper
Size: Approx. 4.5 x 46 (orig. 5.625 x 46)
Wrapper: OpusX
Binder/Filler: Dom. Republic

1/3: Started off great. Nice even burn with some woody oak aroma. It had a hint of cocoa mixed with some coffee flavors. Some leathery spice, found in the opusx, would emit from every other pull. Quite complex and smooth. Definitely not going to be a one dimensional cigar but then again, I've never had an anejo or opus smoke that way. Very enjoyable because it didn't have that initial opusx kick of leather and spice that burnt your nose hair but added just a touch to that sweet anejo smoke.

2/3: Still burning great with a grey firm ash. It started to mellow out abit but in a good way. Flavors were still very noticable from the first 1/3 and it seemed from every pull that I thought I was smoking a different cigar each time. Leathery spice, sweet cedar, coffee, mild chocolate, back to a woody spice....you get the picture. :)

3/3: After running to the car to get the groceries my woman brought home I went back to enjoying this fine, yet different cigar. Still burning nice and even and the wrapper is holding up great regardless of a few patches. The flavors were very consistent to the end but it did get abit hot from the cherry. Became more leathery and spicey to the point where it tickled the tongue. With a half an inch left, and the Jen yelling to help put the groceries away I let it die off in the ashtray.

I must say it was a very different smoke. Quite enjoyable but to be honest I would rather smoke a regular anejo 46. Kind of neck and neck with a regular opusx mainly because this one was alot smoother yet gave you hints of that nice opusx leathery spice but without the head rush. It would be nice to see these as a regular line and I would definitely commit to a box if it smoked the same as this one. Well worth the time and effort to make. Overall a damn fine smoke, I just wish I didn't lose that 5mins from unloading the truck. Hopefully I'll get a chance to roll a few more and see what age does to it.

Burn: 10
Taste: 10
Construction: 8

Stay tuned next week for it's counterpart.... The OpusX no.5 with an anejo wrapper.

Wh not just buy an Opus? I thought that they are one in the same, just that the Anejo has a maduro aged wrapper.

Nice job though.

Fantastic idea and big cojonus to do it. Hey...so...how about the review on the Anejo wrapped Opus that must accompany this one :p

Wh not just buy an Opus? I thought that they are one in the same, just that the Anejo has a maduro aged wrapper.

Nice job though.

I believe they are very similar but not exact. From what I recall the *anejo is a blend of opusx, DC and hemingway while the *opusx has a mix of a 5-7. I could be mistaken though. Tastes were quite similar but this one seemed alot smoother and just not as strong as a fresh opus.

*edit. Got them mixed but still unsure so hopefully someone can clarify the 'anejo blend' and 'opusx blend'.

This is basically what all sites say: LINKY

I have always been under the impression that the binder and filler is the Opus binder and filler just with a maduro wrapper.

Maybe the Opus is the combination blend you are thinking of.

Anyway, still very nice ability to make the wrapper look good!

This is basically what all sites say: LINKY

I have always been under the impression that the binder and filler is the Opus binder and filler just with a maduro wrapper.

Maybe the Opus is the combination blend you are thinking of.

Anyway, still very nice ability to make the wrapper look good!

Yup, I had edited my reply but I found this taken from Moki's site.

Anejo:
Añejos have a blend of Opus X, Don Carlos, and Hemingway filler, with Connecticut broadleaf maduro wrappers that are cured in cognac barrels after they've been aged.
Contrary to popular belief, all releases of the Añejos have their tobacco aged/cured in cognac barrels for only 6-8 months... the bulk of the aging time is done in tightly packed bales.

OpusX:
The "Opus X blend" of tobacco which, in addition to the trademark Opus X Rosado wrapper, constitutes an Opus X cigar is a blend of 5 distinct types of tobacco rolled together. Opus X tobacco is fermented, then aged, then fermented a second time, in addition to a number of other techniques, in order to bring out its trademark flavor.

Now as to what those 5 types used, I haven't a clue. But very contradicting from that link you posted. I'd have to go with Moki's info on this one. Hopefully he can chime in and clarify this. Always nice to learn new things. :)

Request: FFOX with a Cojonu/Tat wrapper. I wonder how that would go off.... Keep the experiments up, they are great reads.

Anejo wrapper + Opus Wrapper barber poled on a VSG sorcerer or illusion.

Do it.

Edit: Then take the VSG wrapper and put it on a WOA or SS.

What I was saying about that link is that I couldn't post all the links that say the same thing. I search "Fuente Anejo" and on all the web sites they all referenced the filler and binder as Opus X. Moki's is the only one that I see that says different. Not that I care much but, I'm not saying Moki's site is wrong but all vendor web sites say this. See famous-smokes, Holt's, cigar.com, etc. . .

What a cool idea.

How did you get the wrapper off so cleanly? Did you store it at a higher RH?

Anyway, great experiment.

What I was saying about that link is that I couldn't post all the links that say the same thing. I search "Fuente Anejo" and on all the web sites they all referenced the filler and binder as Opus X. Moki's is the only one that I see that says different. Not that I care much but, I'm not saying Moki's site is wrong but all vendor web sites say this. See famous-smokes, Holt's, cigar.com, etc. . .

I'd have to go with Moki. Smell the foot of an Opus, and then the Anejo. They don't smell anything the same to me, so I'd guess different blends, but what do I know.

Keyser, I love reading these reviews. Great content. Thanks.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it." -Tommy Boy

I'm not sure why, but this just felt appropriate.

If you have smoked the Opus and the Anejo, then you know that the blends are completely different.

The flavor profiles are not even close, IMHO :D .

Very nice work! I'd be curious to see you do a Hemingway maduro and Anejo......should be pretty complex!