• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Got an Idea .... Tracking Inventory!

MAS_Puros

Me as a wee one with my bottle of Abyss
I was cleaning my place this past weekend trying to get a bit more organized.

One thing I know is my cigar & beer collection is getting bigger and bigger every month. SO, I decided to create a simple database so I can keep track of what I got and when I bought it. I've heard other's talking about having excel spreadsheets, so I was thinking of doing a quick an easy MS Access Db. So far I was thinking of doing this to keep track of not only cigars, but beer and wine.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions what you want to keep track of. I am hoping once I finish this project I can post a link so whomever would like it can download it and use it.

Thanks
Mike

Right now you have to have MS Access 2002 and up on your PC to use it. I am working on creating a standalone application so you wouldn't need MS Access.

Here is a link of the Db, I've WinZipped it:
Inventory Database Download

I have a labeler that I use to print labels for my boxes and single sticks. I use the following fields:

Brand
Name
Country of Origin
Wrapper
Vendor
Price
Date Rolled
Date Purchased
Date placed in Humi
Notes

(Yes, the labeler prints in a very small font ;) )

I've tried to do my own spreadsheets with the same info but never get too far as it is a bit of an unwieldly format. I would definitely be interested in whatever you come up with. Thanks for taking a crack at this.

- Tim

I have a labeler that I use to print labels for my boxes and single sticks. I use the following fields:

Brand
Name
Country of Origin
Wrapper
Vendor
Price
Date Rolled
Date Purchased
Date placed in Humi
Notes

I've tried to do my own spreadsheets with the same info but never get too far as it is a bit of an unwieldly format. I would definitely be interested in whatever you come up with. Thanks for taking a crack at this.

- Tim

I beleive access has a reporting to print on labels, I can add a table to keep track of our fellow CP'ers

Brand
Name
Country of Origin
Wrapper
Vendor
Price
Date Rolled
Date Purchased
Date placed in Humi
Notes

- Tim

I beleive access has a reporting to print on labels, I can add a table to keep track of our fellow CP'ers
Keeping track of the ring gauge and length would also be a nice feature.

What about adding a retail value entry. Might make it a bit easier to go through your inventory to come up with comparable sticks for an even take and pass, especially if you have a larger collection.

Access would definitely be the way to go, you could set it up with forms and even links to tiff/jpg pics of the stick if you wanted to.

I would also be interested. I am keeping track of my inventory using Excel and agree that it is unwieldy. Access would be much better.

The fields I use are:
Brand
Name
Size
Country of Mfg.
Wrapper Color
Wrapper Type
Binder (country)
Filler (country)
Strength
Shape
Date into Humidor
Quantity In
Price ea. (Including Shipping)
Buy Again?

For each stick that goes in I have fields for:
Date Smoked
Months in Humidor
Comments

Since I am new, I have only been buying five packs, samplers, and singles so the fields for each cigar have not been numbering in the 20 – 25 range. This also lets me compare the same brand/size as they age. ( What age --- my humidor has only been set up since August 07 :laugh: )

And when it is all done....

Access for Idiots would be in order. I have never figured out that damn program :angry:

Tim

Access is most definetly the way to go.

Excel is only good if you have a very small number of entries and fields and you dont need to re-arrange them ever.

Its simple enough to create a database in access. Just decide what fields you want to track, and fill in the data.

I'm working on something similar to this to keep my development skills sharp(I'm a geek, I can't help but write programs for everything, even if there is already something similar).

Its a C# GUI with a python "Server" to handle data processing and a SQLite DB for data(once this is complete I want to port the GUI to WXPython so it can easily run cross platform).

My goal is to have it keep track of everything I can think of about my cigars(Name, Size, shape, Country, location(Humi, Cooler), age, rating, Reviews and more). I'm planning on having it be able to do multiple reports(Number of cigars, avg value, avg age, oldest, youngest, highest rated, lowest rated, how many reviews, what I still need to review, etc.) Once its complete it should be pretty easy to add fields or reports or to modifiy it to track almost anything.

I have about 50% of it completed so far, I'm guessing in about 2-4 weeks i'll have most of it working.

If anyone wants a copy when i've got it working I would be more than happy to share

All right here is a sample of what I have so far ...
gallery_6182_366_12902.jpg

I have made it so when you double click on the row in the list it opens more detailed information of that cigar. I am hoping to finish this in a couple of weeks. :thumbs:

Looks good so far. What additional cigar info are you including? Like the photo, too.

So, you work full-time, planning a wedding, have kids, and now you are going to track your smokes? When do you think you are going to fiind the time to smoke them? LOL

Stinki

Looks good so far. What additional cigar info are you including? Like the photo, too.
This is the cigar information I storing in the tables of the database:
  1. CigarBrand
  2. CigarName
  3. Vitola
  4. Ring
  5. Length
  6. CountryOfOrigin
  7. Wrapper
  8. Binder
  9. Filler
  10. Qty
  11. Price
  12. Vendor
  13. DateOfPurchase
  14. DateOfRolled
  15. DateOfBoxed
  16. DateSmoked
  17. WasGifted -Yes/No checkbox
  18. WhoGifted
  19. Notes

I am also storing fellow CP Brothers in another table:
  1. CP_UserName
  2. First Name
  3. Last Name
  4. Address
  5. City
  6. State
  7. ZipCode
  8. Country
  9. Email
  10. Address
  11. CellPhone
  12. Home Phone
  13. Birthdate
Let me know if there is anything I am missing and I can add it.
The good thing is once I finish, feel free to tinker with it and add new tables or GUI forms to do inventory on other items. :thumbs: :D

So, you work full-time, planning a wedding, have kids, and now you are going to track your smokes? When do you think you are going to fiind the time to smoke them? LOL

Stinki
LOL .... Geoff, I have a crazy life! Oh I will find time ... I hope :whistling:

Looks good to me. Can't think of anything else at the moment. Good job!