• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Noob here.

SmokinInCanada

As I've recently been introduced into the world of cigar smoking I was thinking about heading back to the local shop and buying myself some more cigars. I phoned the place the other day and asked the guy if he had any bundles I could buy for a decent price. Now the cigar that I like he sells in bundles of 10, which I'm probably going to pick up. My question is I know with the the rate that I will be smoking them, I know this bundle of 10 will last me a good couple months or so. I know I cant keep them in the plastic bags he sells them in so I was wondering, would I have to pick up a humidor to keep these in? or am I alright with just some other type of storage? And one more side question, what is the difference between a cooler-dor and a humidor? Like is the cooler-dor used for long term storage while the humi is used for shorter lengths of time?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

You just asked a mouth full bro :)

But lets see.

1. It sounds to me like you don't smoke many a month, I think a low budget humidification would do you fine. See if he has any Humidibags or Pouches. They'll do the trick for 10-20 cigars for about 6 months before you replace the humidipak. Or see if he has any small wooden humidors if you're looking for a bit of presentation and safer keeping.

2. A coolerdor and humidor are the same thing. A coolerdor is basically just a homemade less expensive version of a standard wooden humidor. You can use it for storage of boxes, or if you want...singles. The usage is completely up to the owner. A humidor is an air tight humidity controlled environment to store cigars for safe keeping. A coolerdor is the same thing. The usage or features of each (to include temp control as well) are available to either one, depending on what the user wants to spend/build.

Any help?

Sounds like Brickhouse shot all the points up.

THe only other thing is: HOW THE HELL CAN YOU ONLY SMOKE 10 CIGARS IN 6 MONTHS??!?!?!!??!!?

Brickhouse: Thanks alot man, I'll see what the owner has when I stop in. See if he has any Humidibags or even if he has any lower cost Humidors. I know I will eventually buy one, maybe I'll just splurge alittle and buy myself a nice starter one. Something that can hold 15-25 cigars. Also thanks for the help about the coolerdor and humidor, I thought they were too different things :p

Soulddog: I figure I'll only be smoking on the weekends and probably only one cigar a weekend, I also have a pipe too so I'll be smoking that also. But yeah 10 cigars over two-three months if I only smoke one a weekend....but I know I'll spoil myself one day :)

Get your self a Cigar Caddy that holds 18-25 sticks, and a 65% HumidiPuck for it. You will not have any problems whatsoever with that combination.

Bill

I'll offer up another piece of advice that everyone, even me, has always ignored until it was too late.

If you plan on being an active member here, then your cigar intake will increase 3 fold....just trust me. Because of this, any humidor you buy, if you're going to spend money, get a good sized one. A 20ct will not do it. I would recommend a minimum 200ct if you plan to be an active member here. It's not a prerequisite, but I'm telling you.....your appreciation for the hobby will increase and therefore so will your cigar intake/cigar inventory.

If you're going to spend a few dollars on a wooden humidor, don't get less than 200ct.

I say all this fully knowing you will not heed these instructions, as anyone rarely does, including me. It always seems to be a lesson everyone has to learn the hard way, hehe.

Yeah, I started with a cheesey 20 ct...and sprung for a 250 ct., and I'm outgrowing that as we speak!

I was recently in your position, and until you decide for sure that you want to invest money into a humidor, humidification, a hygrometer, etc. I would recommend that you buy a box sized tupperware container, and make sure it seals really well and then ask your B&M guy if they card Boveda packs (they come in 65% RH, 69%, and 72% depending on your preference). The Boveda packs are around $4. When you decide, and you will, that you want a humidor or coolerdor, you can just wash out the tupperware and use it for anything else.

I'll offer up another piece of advice that everyone, even me, has always ignored until it was too late.

If you plan on being an active member here, then your cigar intake will increase 3 fold....just trust me. Because of this, any humidor you buy, if you're going to spend money, get a good sized one. A 20ct will not do it. I would recommend a minimum 200ct if you plan to be an active member here. It's not a prerequisite, but I'm telling you.....your appreciation for the hobby will increase and therefore so will your cigar intake/cigar inventory.

If you're going to spend a few dollars on a wooden humidor, don't get less than 200ct.

I say all this fully knowing you will not heed these instructions, as anyone rarely does, including me. It always seems to be a lesson everyone has to learn the hard way, hehe.

Yeah guess you right there Brick. I remember when I first started smoking my pipe I told myself "Once or twice every couple weeks" next thing I know there were some days where I would smoke 3 or 4 times :laugh:

One question what is **ct? like 20ct or 200ct?

Yeah guess you right there Brick. I remember when I first started smoking my pipe I told myself "Once or twice every couple weeks" next thing I know there were some days where I would smoke 3 or 4 times :laugh:

Yes, buy the biggest humidor you can afford, especially if you want to start aging cigars. It's very easy to fill up a small humidor and you'll be doing yourself a favor by getting something big.

ct = count

Listen to everyone here, I went from a 10ct that I received as a gift, to a 150 to 300 to a 1500, which is almost full. That is in a matter of a year.

Ken

Listen to everyone here, I went from a 10ct that I received as a gift, to a 150 to 300 to a 1500, which is almost full. That is in a matter of a year.

Ken

FOR FACKS SAKE!!! I'm screwed then!!!!!!!!!!

PURE GOSPEL!!!

Well I'm going to take your advice Brick and see if my B&M has any 200+ct humidors when I go there later on in the week.

You could get one at a decent price on "The Devil Site" cigarbid.com, without paying huge prices that some B&M's charge.

Well I know theres a coulpe other B&M places other then the one I usually go too, I figure I'll be checking out the prices seeing what I can get for the better price. But knowing me I'll just buy the first one I lay my eyes on :p