• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Questions for CP users

billbaker3

If you seen one of my topics before then you know that a few of my buddies and myself are intrested in opening a Cigar shop and Lounge. I do not know enough about Cigars besides the ones I have smoked but they do.

Doing research with in the area we know that we will be putting in a walk in humidor and a Lounge. The Lounge would be for anyone to use as long as you purchased the cigars from us. I do not think we will go the Bar route since it adds a lot more to the store. Just a friendly store with a lounge.

My question for you guys is If you could build a B&M what would you do to it? What would you make sure that you had? Along those lines.

If you seen one of my topics before then you know that a few of my buddies and myself are intrested in opening a Cigar shop and Lounge. I do not know enough about Cigars besides the ones I have smoked but they do.

Doing research with in the area we know that we will be putting in a walk in humidor and a Lounge. The Lounge would be for anyone to use as long as you purchased the cigars from us. I do not think we will go the Bar route since it adds a lot more to the store. Just a friendly store with a lounge.

My question for you guys is If you could build a B&M what would you do to it? What would you make sure that you had? Along those lines.

Hot Chicks!

...and a cappuccino machine.

Can't smoke there unless you buy it there? I understand it, but why not charge a cutting fee for those that want to go there just to smoke. If they want to smoke their own, charge'em $5 to do so. It'll bring in customers if they need a place to smoke....and guess what, if you go there chances are you're going to end up buying something.

Just something to think about.

As for your question: Flat screen plasma with good viewing area.

Can't smoke there unless you buy it there? I understand it, but why not charge a cutting fee for those that want to go there just to smoke. If they want to smoke their own, charge'em $5 to do so. It'll bring in customers if they need a place to smoke....and guess what, if you go there chances are you're going to end up buying something.

The plan right now is 2 TV's one on each side of the room. Thats going off of a building that we looked at. I never thought of the cutting fee. I like it.

The plan right now is 2 TV's one on each side of the room. Thats going off of a building that we looked at. I never thought of the cutting fee. I like it.

I'm not sure what the going rate is on those cutting fees, but I know places do that. It may be more than that. Someone here may know, I really don't get the chance to go to many B&Ms, so I'm not positive.

The Lounge would be for anyone to use as long as you purchased the cigars from us.

I rarely purchase cigars from a shop to smoke that same day, due to the storage conditions I find at most B&Ms. If I purchased $40.00 worth of sticks, but I wanted to smoke a Diplo #2 that I brought for the occasion, would your policy prevent it?

Two things: A poker table (no actual money, based on your states gambling laws) but a table, chairs, and chips. And also provide drinks, or access to them. Coffee, water, tea, and pop. Either a fridge or cooler or vending machines.

The Lounge would be for anyone to use as long as you purchased the cigars from us.

I rarely purchase cigars from a shop to smoke that same day, due to the storage conditions I find at most B&Ms. If I purchased $40.00 worth of sticks, but I wanted to smoke a Diplo #2 that I brought for the occasion, would your policy prevent it?

It would have to be flexable. I think in that circumstance then it wouldnt matter, you cant be a hawk about it.

It would have to be flexable. I think in that circumstance then it wouldnt matter, you cant be a hawk about it.

Not take your post off topic, but just to give a suggestion on the smoking/buying thing.

Maybe something like....If you buy something here, you can smoke something here (regardless if it in fact a cigar you bought there). If you don't buy something here, you can smoke something here for the cutting fee....whatever it is.

If you buy something here, you can smoke something here (regardless if it in fact a cigar you bought there). If you don't buy something here, you can smoke something here for the cutting fee....whatever it is.

What he said, this is the way most shops I know operate.

If you have the room, darts and pool table. If not pool table, at least darts, but not over the couches ;) If room out back, a grill and picnic bench (supposing you can keep it exclusive to the shop and safe from vandals for the most part)

A fridge and a "bar". My local has them. They provide no liquor, but the customers are free to bring in whatever they want. Something as simple as a little cabinet in the back would do.

Don't publish a policy until you're cash flow positive. Early on, you want to just get butts in the door. Most of the stores here in Denver have never published a cutting policy and don't seem to have a problem.

Add a large poker table, 10 chairs if you can get one. Add several if you can afford the room.

I think a poker table is a must. I would love to add a pool table but that all depends on the size of the building. The one we looked at was 1600sq ft. Done right you could fit that all in there.

All good ideas in here but no one has mentioned pricing. For cigars that you sell, don't gouge on anything even if it's HTF. MSRP + Applicable Taxes. Also, once you get established and if you have the knowledge/man-power, set-up a website and sell online as well. Of course, deals should be offered to CPers on a regular basis. :thumbs: :D

Best thing to do is to post the store rules in bold type somewhere where everyone can see them. Maybe like Bruce said.....Do it after you have been open for a month or so.

Common sense stuff like:

1. Must patronize this store to smoke in the lounge.
2. No foul language.
3. Allow the sales staff do thier job. Do not interject. (I've seen people interupt the sales manager while he was speaking to a customer before. "Don't buy that, buy this, it's only two dollars and that is twelve.")
4. No drinking. If you have been drinking and are acting overly intoxicated, you'll be asked to leave.
5. Do not set personal items on top of cigar boxes in the humidor.
6. No children in the humidor.
7. No smoking in the humidor.

You can always add to it and put something at the bottom like "Rules are at the discretion of the owner/sales team."
You don't want to be a tryant about it, but it helps to give people a reminder to go by when common sense fails.
Mine will turn an eye to a glass or two of Rum in a plastic cup, but he knows I'll behave myself. ;)

I like the internet Wi Fi idea.
Flat screen is good.

Definitely make sure your chairs are leather. Nothing smells worse than a fabric chair smelling of years of stale cigar smoke.

I know this is out there, but before it was shut down, my cigar bar had a fish tank full of colourful fish. It was so relaxing to look at while having a smoke.

It was a really good idea. Not for every publican, but something to think about. Just make sure it is not tacky.

My best friends actually did this about 8 months ago.

Make sure you carry A LOT of back stock right off the get go, people get pissed when your cigars are hit or miss. nothing smaller than a 50in tv will do. Since we are so close to the A&M campus, we put in a custom poker table with the Aggie logo in it. Wi Fi is an absolute must. Complimentary coffee is a good idea as well.

My one suggestion would be to honestly, put in two lounges. Not everyone wants to watch whats on the tv, etc.

Not to mention, a liquor license wouldn't be a bad idea if you sold only nicer whiskey and liquer. Just a thought.

Have a weekly cigar event to try a new brand, or educate us newbie's on the finer aspects of cigar smoking. We love to learn

Wi-Fi :thumbs:
Big TV :thumbs:
Dual lounges if room provides :thumbs:
Poker Table (or at least a table suitable for cards, not everyone plays poker) :thumbs:

I would discourage drinking myself. I don't know if there are any legalities involved, but it seems like if someone is drinking at your place and something were to happen to them either there or on their way home there is some potential for trouble.

The only thing I would add is to keep at least a small selection of pipes and tobacco. It seems to be a growing interest in many parts of the country.