• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

DEVIL'S WEED

jfields

Where did all my money go?
DATA

CIGAR: DEVIL'S WEED
FORMAT: Raleigh (Robusto 5x50)
WRAPPER: Ecuadorian Connecticut
BINDER: Dominican
FILLER: Dominican

MSRP:$5.35

Luis Molina, owner of Molina Cigar Co. was gracious enough to offer samples to a few CP members for a new brand he is releasing. According to him, Devil's Weed is a brand that is geared more towards the purist cigar smoker. Produced for him in a small factory called Tabacos Don Leoncio, I could hear the excitement in Luis's voice when he was describing the project. I'll have to admit that when I saw the samples, I was not expecting a cigar with much flavor. The wrapper was very light brown consistent with a shade grown Connecticut. I usually associate this color with lacking the Ooomph I desire.

The first thing I noticed besides color, was the total lack of any veins in any of the three cigars. The construction was really nice with nothing fancy about the cap, but not sloppy either. No discernable soft spots could be felt and I did notice a semi hollow spot at the foot when looking at the bunching. Pre-light draw was just how I like it, and the smell had a very nice aroma to it, reminiscent of a slightly seasoned pile of oak or hickory firewood.

Devilsweed002.jpg

Devilsweed001.jpg

Devilsweed003.jpg

After the first few draws I was kind of wishing I had kept the other two samples that I gave to the manager an owner of my local B&M to try. :) I honestly was not expecting this much flavor from such an unassuming looking cigar. I would not use the word complex, but maybe more like refined/clean finish to describe what lingered on my taste buds. A very nice woody flavor is what I noticed the most on the flavor profile, and it never really changed throughout. It was even there through the end on the last half inch of the smoke, where it stayed cool and pleasant. Strength was medium. However, I did notice a nice little nicotine buzz when I was finished, even though I had eaten beforehand.

The burn was really cool, contributing to clean finish, and there were really no issues at all. The only thing I noticed was that the ash kind of mushroomed out and fell apart early, I guess due to the hollow void I mentioned earlier. You can see it in the picture below.
Devilsweed005.jpg

Devilsweed004.jpg

My overall impression of this cigar was very nice, very tasty, and I enjoyed it to a nub. You can tell that unlike some cigars you smoke young, these will benefit with some down time. I will not hestitate to put some of these away when I can find them soon. ;)

By the way.............Luis said he's working on a Maduro Devil's Weed version as well. :thumbs:

Thanks for the generosity Luis.

Nice review... still waiting for these to show up and give 'em a shot myself. :D