• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Where to Smoke

hyper1

Many of us have problems finding a nice place to smoke in cold weather. The wives don't appreciate us stinking up the house and the cold weather and shivering takes away from the smoking experience when we smoke outside. I found a great solution that I might just try myself. Take a look at this home office project this guy did...

http://www.aboutdean.com/

I think that with a smaller desk and a nice leather lounge chair, this could be the ultimate smoking retreat. Anyone else have any other ideas for necessary additions?

Help me come up with the plans and we'll see where this goes...

Not bad but how ya gonna heat it? I looked that site over and over again and this friggin guy must live in the Florida Keys or something because he has NO HEAT SOURCE in this building at ALL! Electric heat? Holy CRAP would that be expensive!! :0

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the idea of creating a smoking room somewhere IN your house is virtually impossible, so, I think you're on to something here.

Personally, I'd put it on some sort of a foundation or cement slab. His building looks like is was just set on blocks and with deals like that, there's virtually no way you can stop them from rotting into the ground.

Or, build a shop/garage and incorporate a smoking lounge in that building. The best way to heat a garage/shop is with one of those mobile home furnaces that run on kerosene or #2 fuel. There are plenty of used mobile homes down near SD in the Styx of North Carolina :D , you can get one of those furnaces for about $200.00 BUT it would be way too big for a 10 x 12 building.

Smoking in the car while you're driving is a lot cheaper ;) at least there's HEAT in the car!!

I was thinking good insulation and one of those little ceramic disk heaters would do the trick. I'm in GA so it gets cold, but rarely below freezing. The foundation is definately the way to go but does add to the expense. It might also cause issues with building permits, zoning, etc (being a 'permanent' installation). Temporary structures typically don't need all that stuff.

As they say "That varies from town to town, state to state" In my town, you don't need a permit for anything over 225 sq ft. Over that requires full foundation (at least 42" deep).

I guess I'm a little more concerned about the heat since I live in Connecticut but there are a heck of a lot more places colder in the country than CT, especially in the winter!

Remember, this guy got the BUILDING for nothing and still spent two grand on the project. A building like that goes for at least $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 and you still gotta finish it like he did for another 2K PLUS HEAT!!

To me, that's a lot of money for a temporary building......

I'd still look at a larger building (wood working shop, garage WITH A LIFT, barn, etc.) with a smoking room as a small part of something else. WOW I wish I had a lift in my garage, life would be good ;) I smoke in the garage but there's no cable TV and the smoke drives my brother nuts!!

Very impressive! A bit more that I can spend these days, but I like the idea. Right now, I'm relegated to the garage. I have a cd player and small space heater, but I plan to get one of those sunflower propane heaters for when it gets really cold. And unlike Georgia, it gets cold here in MN. :)

Find a single friend who smokes and offer to pitch in on a big screen tv. Then just get an extra key to his apartment/house and go over whenever the old lady is bitchin'. :)

Matt,

Come on, Get in the spirit. Can't a guy dream? :) I thought you guys would like to dream with me.

I do like the big-screen idea. Maybe because of the space issues, it should be one of those cool flat, plasma screens?

I think a small fridge would fit in nicely too.

- Mike

I've got a 57" t.v. and until the plasma that size is affordable, I could never go to a smaller t.v., even if the quality was better. Now, I have been looking at small plasma units to put on the wall in my toilet room/office. :)

Too rich for me, but wow, it looks great. I would use a good electric space heater, but I also live in AZ. Not quite as cold here.

Looked great to me. Smoked one today out in 30 deg. and about 20 mph. wind took away from the experince. Mayme some day.

Hey folks, I'm the guy with the outdoor building. :0

Actually, I do have heat in here. Its a small electric/ceramic space heater by Holmes. Costs about $20 at Wal-Mart. Its just a little thing that sits in a corner.

It costs about $10 a month to keep this room at 73 degrees all winter long. In the winter we have about 4 good cold months and it just keeps running. So what are we talking about.... $40 bucks for the winter

I've had the room over a year now so I have had the opportunity to track electric costs. Today is January 20, 2005. I live in Kentucky and its definitely COLD outside. But its a nice warm 74 in here.

Cheers

73 :0 I'd burn up! Save yourself some cash and crank her down to about 60. Unless of course you like to smoke in the nude :p

LOL. I'd have to agree. I keep my house about 65 and I'd die if it were 73.

Very cool idea.

I converted one of my kids bedrooms (after we moved him downstairs into the garage conversion) in an office/smoking room.

IF, and I know indoor real estate is a premium, you have an office, you can add a dedicated FAU above that room and pull the smoke out through it and route it out one of your gable vents. That's what I did.

Now, if I had to consider outside space...........I like what CC is on to. A bigger structure with a smoke room in it. But, if space and/or cash were at a premium, I would look into this, just a bit bigger. I've got a small shed I built from a kit I got at Lowe's. Lawn mower, tools, junk, you know..........and I couldn't see myself being in it. A bit small. But a 10 x 12 or so sounds like it would do the trick.

Good luck to all who want to take this one on. I'm going to be building a huge deck on the back and around our pool. That's enough for me.

Maybe when I'm done, I'll host a SoCal Herf and Terf. Hey.........just maybe on to something here...

M. Gipson

nothing says class like having an office in a shed...

you did do a hell of a job though, congrats.

Hmmmm well it was -30 the other night, with wind chill. And I sat nice and toasty in my home, in a nice recliner. :D
Due to my meds lately I havent had a cigar in weeks but if I did want to light up this is where I would do it :p

How you get cable/sat out there? I would want it bigger. Big enough for a couch and maybe two chairs. Also, it would have to hold a pool table and dart board, and also and indo board (I know I'll be asked what that is lol). Room enough to watch the plasma, wall mounted tv, which ever you like more, and have fun with others. DVHost's office is really nice, but too small for me. And what's up on all the secutiry? P Diddy live next door? :D

I think I'll stick to my backporch or the car for fav spot.

As a carpenter in training, I could build a decent 10 x 10 room in 3 days with help from a few friends. Finishing the interior with drywall, carpeting, paint etc would take a little longer, but if you tackle this in the summer, it really wouldn't be too bad. I just wish real estate in Hawaii wasn't so limited, otherwise I would have a palace to smoke my stogies in.