• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Molina Cigar Co. - Devil's Weed - Raleigh

MadMonk

Size: Robusto 5 x 50
Wrapper: Equador Connecticut
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican (4 leaves)

Storage: 69 deg F @ 68% RH

Initial Pre-light impression: Looks to be well constructed with an encouraging weight and firmness.
The foot looks nicely bunched. I smell and taste Spice, Cedar and Tobacco. The wrapper looks delicate.

I was fortunate enough be be included in Luis Molina's distribution of samples.
I smoked three samples of the Robusto. My impressions remained consistent for all three.

I lit the cigar by thoroughly toasting the foot, avoiding drawing with a flame underneath.
My first draw on the cigar gave me a fairly robust blast of spice with undertones of cream and cedar.
We're off to a good start as the draw is just right. The cigar calms down a bit after a few draws and remains supremely flavorful with ample spice. I find the cigar is on the initial side of medium bodied.

As I enter the second third of the cigar, the spice recedes and the creaminess moves to the forefront.
What I find encouraging is that the basic character of the cigar remains familiar with a good, more than subtle, foundation of the initial flavor which is now enhanced by the complexity of more pronounced cream and toffee with hints of cedar. The cigar is complex, and relaxing. It is burning beautifully and continues to draw perfectly. I am completely relaxed as I continue to smoke. I decide to have some coffee to see how that goes. I drink dark roast coffees, so a cigar has to be fairly flavorful for me to enjoy both together.
This one works.

The final third has the spice moving a little more forward, but not to the same degree as the first third.
The creamy, toffee, cedar characteristics remain as a subtle hint of pepper joins the mix. I have about an inch left and the cigar has not turned bitter. It is still burning evenly and drawing very nicely.
I really had a hard time putting this one down.

I would have to say that this is without a doubt the most promising new cigar I have tried in about 2 years.
Wonderful and rich flavors, perfect burn and draw, and mellow enough, for me, to smoke in the morning on an empty stomach. I could, as Luis Molina Suggests, enjoy this cigar any time of day.

In todays atmosphere of hype, and dare I say, a little deception, I find it immensely gratifying to find a product that delivers as promised.

I will most assuredly purchase a box or two, if I can find them!

I now have three favorite smokes for my cherished lazy mornings. All deliver that which I endlessly search for in a Cigar. Rich Flavor, Pleasant but clean finish, and good construction.
-Cabaiguan Robustos Extra
-Rey Miguel Robusto, whose future availability I question.
-And now, Devil's Weed Raleigh (robusto) !

Well done Luis!

gallery_7313_640_9295.jpg

gallery_7313_640_20534.jpg

gallery_7313_640_11742.jpg

gallery_7313_640_14757.jpg

gallery_7313_640_1795.jpg

gallery_7313_640_22137.jpg

gallery_7313_640_14582.jpg

Nice review!
:thumbs:
I'm becoming more and more curious about these as I read the reviews. Hope they become easier to find soon.

Nice review!
:thumbs:
I'm becoming more and more curious about these as I read the reviews. Hope they become easier to find soon.

Agreed. I'd be very interested in buying one at a B&M to try one out. To bad they are so new and unknown right now! Maybe I should start pestering the stores around here to pick em up.

Well done Mr. Monk!

Have you tried an Oliva Series V yet? Oh my!

Dan

You betcha! I bought a few boxes (robusto and lancero) right after release. I keep trying to save some, but they are aging beautifully, and are smoking fabulous even now. Almost the perfect cigar.

Very good review brother, all I have to do now is wait for them to show up in a shop around here and try them for myself. Thanks for sharing and the pics were great as well....... :) :thumbs: :cool:

Senor Molina has arranged for many of us to try the wares at the Vegas HERF. I'm looking forward to it.

I got the three cigar sampler and smoked one the day after I got them. I'm hoping some humi time will make them a lot better. No review until then.