• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Liga IV Almirante

Marco-Polo

Go Irish Go!
Exec Summary
The Liga IV Almirante is a smaller cigar at 5.5 x 43, the Liga IV is a decent cigar at a discount price.

Background
Made by Carlos Torano in the Dominican Republic. The band says "aged 7 years", and they're on clearance at CI, so they may be 10-12 years old by now. CI prices it at 2 bundles of 25 for $30; you'll occasionally find it cheaper (but not by much) at cbid.

Appearance
Wrapper is an Ecuadorian Connecticut, sort of leathery mid-brown rather than the golden brown seen in the CI photo. (This may be due to age, but is probably a matter of humidification). Nice looking all in all, small veins. Tight with tobacco, a couple of small soft spots. The filler is the same shade of mid-brown, no stems apparent.

IMG_6475.JPG

Unlit
Pre-light – tobacco flavor. No barnyard, no darker notes. Draw is on the tight side but not overly so.

Burn
Burn is dead-straight, no touch-ups needed. Construction is solid throughout. Ash is light grey to white and maybe a little fragile.

First Third
The most striking aspect of the Liga IV is the smell of perfume on the nose, a sort of floral odor not unlike that from a viognier. Quite pleasant to me but I know it's not to everyone's taste. Sweet tobacco flavor in the body, a tiny note of spice.

IMG_6477.JPG

Second Third
Same as the first, maybe a little more tobacco, a little wood, and the perfume fades. A somewhat salty note comes in. The draw loosens up from a little tight to spot on.

Final Third
A bitter note comes in as you approach the band and it begins to burn hotter. Perfume comes back in, wood comes back in, flavor kicks up towards medium. I put it down for a couple of minutes and the bitter note faded out.

IMG_6479.JPG

Notes
45 minutes elapsed time, not bad at all for a smaller cigar. Doubly good considering the price, which is incredibly low @ 60 cents. A worthy mild cigar for a new smoker, for a midday cigar, a quickie, or a change of pace. Beats the hell out of a Macanudo, that's for sure. A shame that they didn't sell when they were launched, perhaps someone on cigarpass knows the whole story.

IMG_6480.JPG

IMG_6481.JPG

Nice review. I've noticed that the handful of fairly well aged Torano cigars I've smoke had a distinct floral tone to them.

Nice review. I've noticed that the handful of fairly well aged Torano cigars I've smoke had a distinct floral tone to them.

You know, I noticed the same of the Casa Torano, but I've only had one of those and that several months before trying a Liga IV.. I take it that that's an effect he's going for intentionally? It's a nice touch that makes my wife almost-but-not quite tolerate them. :0

I'd be glad to pass along a couple of Liga IV's if anyone's interested.