• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chainsaws

LOCAL669

Think about grabben up a chainsaw and taken down some trees (replacing them with more pleasing trees). Lookin for some input on a good brand, some brands I thougt about were Echo and Stihl. Let me know what you guys think or know from experience.

Thanks guys

Stihls are going to cost you more than most of the other brands, but I know growing up out in the country, everyone used stihl because they were a dependable workhorse. I use Stihl weedeaters, etc to this day and they are quality machinery.

Definitely Sthil! It's what I grew up on and still use today.

My dad bought an o31 when I was six. It saw PLENTY of use, needed little maintenance, and was finally retired about three years ago due only to lack of availability of parts. Thirty one years on a chainsaw is pretty damn good IMO.

Definitely Sthil! It's what I grew up on and still use today.

My dad bought an o31 when I was six. It saw PLENTY of use, needed little maintenance, and was finally retired about three years ago due only to lack of availability of parts. Thirty one years on a chainsaw is pretty damn good IMO.

Ah yes, the O31 Farm Boss. Best chainsaw ever made. I've actually heard people offer my dad over msrp for the two that he owns, and his are probably 15+ years old.

Assuming that you're not using this as an excuse (as I would) to buy a new toy-- er, tool, why not just rent one for the time it will take you to drop the trees?

Don't listen to these flatlanders. Get a Jonsered. It's the saw I use in my sugar bush. The Stihl is a good saw, but all the loggers I know use the aforementioned. I have a 2150 and I love it.

Doc.

If its only a couple of trees you could always go for the old fashioned way

28005.jpg

Although Stihl is a great name and does make good products, IMO the average user would be better off getting a something a little cheaper for a chainsaw. If you plan on using it a lot then buying a higher end product might be worth while, but if it is just a couple of trees and the occassional bit of scrap is the up front cost going to be worth it?

Doc makes a great recommendation - those Jonsereds are damn fine pieces of machinery.

Another one - a Partner. Hold up well in constant use/abuse with forestry fire departments back in Cali that I know of.

Echo makes a damn good chainsaw as well. Have a 670 at my place in the Keys.

Another vote for Sthil for the homeowner. My cousin was a forester fighting fires in Cali and his entire group used them. Nothing wrong with any of the major brands really for what a homeowner will use them for. I had a Poulan for almost 18 years before I killed it. Now I borrow my neighbors :)

I have an 18" Husqvarna purchased from Lowes. It's destroyed about 30 trees so far (2"-10") and I couldn't be more pleased with it. But I'm no chainsaw expert.

I bought a used Husqvarna here a few years ago and have been very pleased, cutting many trees and numerous logs for firewood. Strong, dependable, easy starting, and an excellent chain brake should you get into a kick-back situation and need that chain stopped in a hurry. Yes, there are are anti kickback chains but in my experience, they don't cut nearly as fast as the non-antikickback variety. However, I always wear a helmet with face protection since I was working in the ER when a fellow came in holding a dripping towel to his face. The saw had kicked back and split his nose, upper lip, teeth and chin. NOT a pretty situation.

Whatever saw you choose, do be very careful my friend.

I get this picture of George Hanson riding on the back of Billy's chopper after reading that Dave. :)

I have two echos that I grew up with and still run strong. Not sure which models, as they are at my parents house, but we used to cut our firewood by clearing lots each year so they saw plenty of use and never let us down :)

Don

I have an 18" Husqvarna purchased from Lowes. It's destroyed about 30 trees so far (2"-10") and I couldn't be more pleased with it. But I'm no chainsaw expert.
I picked up a Husqvarna 350 18" off Ebay 3 or so years ago. You won't find a better saw for the money. Plenty of power, quick chain change and lightweight. It'll take a 20" bar and chain if you need it. I put up 4 - 6 cords of wood every year and just got done with this years so it's been through 12+ cords and assorted blow downs. It still runs like new. Best saw I ever owned and I've been through a few.

NA

Unless you are experienced, I would advise extreme caution. Cutting downed limbs is one thing, dropping trees is completely different.

I picked up a Husqvarna 350 18" off Ebay 3 or so years ago. You won't find a better saw for the money.

That's the very model I have. And ya know, it's about time to break it out again. I've got an alder that needs to come down to make room for a couple of Mountain Ashes.

If you were near me I would loan you my Stihl 034 or 036. Jonserend is ok, Huskqvarna is ok too. Echo is ok I guess. I know people who swear by them but I have never used one andfor my work I consider them more of a homeowners model so I guess it would work for your purpose. I buy everything Stihl.

I learned how to do the chainsaw toss on a Pollock, I mean Poulan chainsaw. Piece of junk. Round here the loggers use Stihl.

The Farm Boss is a good buy and would handle most jobs. Make sure to match the saw to the size of tree. If you need a 20" bar get a good sized saw (farm Boss). I assume you don't have smaller trees so don't get a small weight saw.

Also, make sure you buy it where you can get it worked on.

Mike

Thanks guys for all the input. Here is the deal though, I want to cut down 3-4 trees. They range from about a 10-16 trunk and all about 30-40' tall. One I will probably have to get professionally cut due to power lines and my house!! I have never on my own cut a tree that large down, is this something I should just completly leave to the pro's. Being in the trades I want to tackle my own jobs but not sure if this is one I should mess with, on the other hand something tells me I can do it! So again, I need opinions LOL.

Mark

Holy Sh#t. Don't be cuttin' any trees. Trees that size ain't for the beginner. I can't think of anything more dangerous for a neophyte. Hire someone. It's not cheap, but it ain't worth gettin' in the news over.

Doc.