• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Man O' War Torpedo

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
After starting a thread about these cigars in the Lounge here, I finally decided to light this cigar up tonight.

Man O' War Torpedo
Size: 6.1" x 54
Beverage: Greene King Abbot Ale

The cigar is well made with no obvious flaws. The wrapper is reddish-brown with some tooth. The band, even though it's trivial, is very nice. The prelight is predominantly barnyard.

After toasting the foot and taking the first puffs, the taste has a hardwood core, with touches of light pepper and a pleasant creaminess. The cigar produces a large amount of brown smoke. The draw is good and the ash is dark gray with brown spots.

By the middle third, the complexity dies down a bit. The creaminess goes away, and the finish has a slight mineral taste to it. It's not unpleasant at all, but by the final third the cigar isn't really producing much flavor at all and I find myself drawing more frequently to get more spice out of it. It doesn't turn bitter though, which I like.

I let the cigar go out with about an inch left. I get no nic kick out of this smoke at all.

This cigar has been touted, at least by it's internet vendor, as a poor-man's Opus X. I didn't get that at all. The Man O' War isn't a bad smoke, but it doesn't have the complexity in flavor that I like. I would classify it as a solidly medium-bodied smoke. Like so many CI sticks, it's not as transcendent as they claim. That being said, it isn't a bad cigar-- very decent at first, and definitely at least worth a try. I've got 4 more left and I'll smoke one again in a few months to see what a little age does for them. I'd also like to try a smaller one, maybe a corona or a robusto to see if it maintains it's original charm longer in a smaller size.

Barry

Edit for some wording and grammar.

Thanks for the review Barry. I had one of these some time back, and tossed it in the middle. Pre-light was rancid, and I choked down the smoke until I couldn't bear it anymore. I won't be buying ANY of these guys any time soon...

I too think that it was a bit mild to medium, it was a pleasant cigar. I have a few left over due to a split here, i am actually thinking about having one after diner now with a glass of Patron.

Nice review by the way.

Sam