• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Balvenie RumCask 17

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Balvenie RunCask 17 yo First Edition Release, Finished in Jamaican Rum Casks, 86 proof, $130 list price, available nationwide albeit in limited amounts and stores. Just 50 six bottle cases in Pennsylvania.

Balvenie%20RumCask%2017.JPG

RumCask, the older brother of the short lived 14 yo RumWood brings to the table a few more years of age and double the finishing time in rum casks. While not a distillery known for multiple finishes Balvenie has done quite a few remarkably well. However, most have been limited due to the lack of product but one can hope this particular dram will have a long run.

The nose is typical Balvenie with honey, orange and a few floral notes but there is also a nut like component that reminds me of pecans inching along the bottom of the nosing. The tasting is vanilla sweet with a spicy edge and an oaky bottom. There is more alcohol noticed then I remember with the earlier 14 yo but it quickly fades. The finish is long and is a bit citric on the sides of the tongue before honey and oak come out to stay until the end.

Overall this is a good addition to the Balvenie line but is not the truly exceptional dram like the PortWood 21. If pressed I'd give it a B+.

Just a note Ray,

We're still shipping out the 17 yr. old Sherry Cask.

Michael

Thanks for getting this one up so soon. After reading your tasting notes I'll hope to try a glass of this before popping for a bottle.

I wish I could get this around here. My search has come up empty my last few times out. Thanks for the review though.

It just came out, give it a little time and it will show up. If you really want one you can order from Shopper's Vineyard in NJ.

I wish I could get this around here. My search has come up empty my last few times out. Thanks for the review though.

It just came out, give it a little time and it will show up. If you really want one you can order from Shopper's Vineyard in NJ.

Thanks for your post. We are going to get a buy going here locally to make use of the shipping cost.

I picked up a bottle today. I'll be pouring a bit this evening and let you know what I think of it.

Ok. Just finished my first dram. It's good, but it's not great. There's more alcohol smell on the nose than I would have expected. Personally, I didn't really get any notes of rum. I tasted a good whisky, but not much more. I had high hopes for this one and this might have set me up for disappointment. I'll have to revisit this in a week or so to see if my opinion changes. In the meantime, the New Oak remains my favorite 17 year old limited expression from Balvenie.

I was wondering if there were any reviews of the Balvenie Sherryoak 17 year old - First release. I would like to say that this bottle deserves a review or two as it is outstanding - at the same time as buying the sherryoak I also purchased two bottles of the rum cask which I haven’t had a chance to open yet :) The Sherryoak supplies in the UK seem to be getting less and less each day and I was wondering if I should maybe buy another bottle before purchasing and trying out the new oak? I would like to hear from anyone else that has sampled the sherryoak.

Scots_Man,

If you like the Sherry Oak, or the New Oak for that matter, you best buy it now. Whatever's out there on the market is all there is.

Michael

scots_man: We like our new members to do an intro in the proper forum before posting further in the forums. It lets us get to know you better.