• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

AVO Robusto and a crisp evening of enjoyment

SyrLinus

Virtualized Security Geek
Cigar Name: AVO Robusto (5 x 5)

Cigar Description: Dominican tobacco with a Connecticut wrapper

Cigar Strength: Medium

Review of the Cigar itself: Since I had been on Wall Street all week, I had been popping in and out of Barclay-Rex almost every day. I was lusting after more Short Stories and wanted to see what new things they had. I had forgotten that they had told me of the AVO event that would be today so when I went in, I bought two and got the third for free (Whee!). But I knew I had an AVO Robusto at home that had been in my humidor since April. So I figured I'd review that and humidor today's find.

The cigar is well made and the wrapper is almost a dairy milk wrapper colour. It felt just firm enough and almost perfect. I had some difficulty initially lighting it but once lit it burn fairly straight. It's a densely packed cigar so this required a slice off the end rather than the toothpick method I had used recently on my last cigar. The woody and creamy flavours that came out of the first third were an ideal match for the crisp cold air that we were experiencing as fall finally arrived. As I took a taste and looked up at the dark but sparkling sky, I got to see a "falling star" (my guess is either space debris or a small asteriod buring up in the atmosphere -- it was neat and magical either way).

The taste wasn't overwhelming and was rather pleasant. There was little smoke from it and the ash stayed consistent. It was nice to able to just sit and relax, listening to the sounds of the street and the lives around. A baby crying here, an A/C on over there (why on earth?! it's 55F out there), an occasional car alarm, people talking as they walk. Ah, the sounds of NY, so different from the quieter sounds of Toronto (all good in their own way). I pulled out the larger ashtray in hopes I could keep the ash longer but it fell off on it's own accord. As I got into the middle third, I began noticing a stronger flavour, almost a leather taste, but it didn't detract from the overall flavour of the cigar nor the enjoyment of the autumn evening.

The aroma was a gentle one, which was nice as it wasn't overwhelming for me or the cats (since no one else was around). They hung around, purring madly. I suppose that's a good review from them (that or they wanted more food -- AGAIN!). This cigar, right to the end, was a great way to end a trying work week and to enjoy the evening.

Enjoyed with: Water, a Corona and some roasted and salted sunflower seeds to snack on.

Smoke time: approximately 1 hour and a half

Purchased at: Famous Smoke

Final Review Rating: 9/10