• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New to the whole vinotemp idea

MaxNoodle

I am that which is.
Im looking at a 12 bottle vinotemp for $55 on craigslist. Is it worth it??

Other Questions:
Why a vinotemp? How many sticks / boxes would it hold? Does it require a humidifier?

Fill me in with everything...I did a search but couldn't find answers to my questions. Is there a linky specifically for vinotemps??

Thanks all!

~ t

Ultra Quiet Thermo Electric Cooling
Double Pane Insulated Glass Door With Black trim
Recessed Handle
Adjustable Thermostat Control
Soft Interior Light
5 Full Width Chrome Wire Storage Racks
Black Interior

vinotemp.jpg

EDIT to add photo.

I can't understand why a search didn't come up with anything for you but...
a Vinotemp will regulate temps and give you an airtight seal but will require humidification such as Heartfelt beads.
I'd estimate it'll hold 6 or 7 boxes. You may be able to jam more in there.

I think the 12 bottle will be too small. My 28 bottle seemed like it filled real quick. Remember always go bigger with a humi.

I think the 12 bottle will be too small. My 28 bottle seemed like it filled real quick. Remember always go bigger with a humi.

I agree. The 12 bottle size is much too small. Buy it and you'll soon regret not getting the larger model.

+1 for Doc and northernmoris

Exactly why I didn't buy the 18 bottle model. I'm going to save a bit and get a 40 bottle from Haier or Vinotemp. Best to spend the money once on something you REALLY like then settle for second just to have immediate gratification.

+1 for Doc and northernmoris

Exactly why I didn't buy the 18 bottle model. I'm going to save a bit and get a 40 bottle from Haier or Vinotemp. Best to spend the money once on something you REALLY like then settle for second just to have immediate gratification.

You'll spend the money atleast twice. My 28 bottle filled in about 1-2 months. 3 drawers filled, 2 shelves with boxes. A 200 count filled and my first 50 ct. empty just beggin. If I wouldn't end up on the couch for a month i'd get another vino.

You'll spend the money atleast twice. My 28 bottle filled in about 1-2 months. 3 drawers filled, 2 shelves with boxes. A 200 count filled and my first 50 ct. empty just beggin. If I wouldn't end up on the couch for a month i'd get another vino.

Damn I hate you.

Totally agree with everybody, get a bigger one you will need it, thats why I went with a 42 bottle.

Here Ya Go.....

Here's pics of mine, now show me yours. :sign:

You have seen this before, I still need to order shelves and drawers from Tim plus there is a bit more inside it now.

Edit to add.

I went with a 28 bottle and I'm glad I didn't go any smaller. I have two singles trays taking up two of the shelves, and I have room in there for a handful more boxes than I already have in there. I would look into buying singles trays made of spanish cedar.

For mine I got 1 lb. of heartfelt beads but I probably didn't need that much. For some reason the inside of it seems to stay in the 65-70% range for humidity without doing much else.

Before I bought mine I did searches for "vinotemp" and also "winador" or "wine cooler" and got TONS of info... it's out there just have to tweak your searching.

Ok - Thanks! Got it...GO BIGGER! And i can't argue - I never thought I would fill my humidor I have...I now have cigar boxes full with water pillows in them! And I have 4 orders coming!

Thanks for all the input!

~ t

Ok - I just picked up a 28TEDS VINOTEMP for $100....whats next? I know...fill it...well I'll work on that later. For now I have to sell the wife on it, or I'll just wait till it comes. And yeah - I'll be on the couch for a while because I know the $100 isn't the end. I need more beads, some boxes, shelves, etc...I'll tell her she can store her wine in it, I can give up a shelf, I'll still have my humidor, right? :(

Here Ya Go.....

Here's pics of mine, now show me yours. :sign:

You have seen this before, I still need to order shelves and drawers from Tim plus there is a bit more inside it now.

Edit to add.

Please check your PMs.I need to pick your brain as you have the exact setup I'm looking for however everyone seems to be gouging on the larger Wine coolers that are thermo-electric.

Ok - I just picked up a 28TEDS VINOTEMP for $100....whats next? I know...fill it...well I'll work on that later. For now I have to sell the wife on it, or I'll just wait till it comes. And yeah - I'll be on the couch for a while because I know the $100 isn't the end. I need more beads, some boxes, shelves, etc...I'll tell her she can store her wine in it, I can give up a shelf, I'll still have my humidor, right? :(

Air it out to get the smell out. Some people have used baking soda scrubdowns or left there's in a well ventilated area (left outside etc) with Baking soda to try to absorb the new plastic/appliance smell. Do you plan on storing singles in there or entire boxes? If just entire boxes then you can prep and "season" your vinotemp and add the shelving at a later date when you're not going to be in the dog house.

You'll need another hygrometer. A lot of people seem to use remote ones from what I've been reading and they keep the sensor itself in an empty cigar box. It seems that there have been experiences that have a broader fluctuation in Humidity and Temp readings if just left in the Vinotemp in the open. Of course if you're storing singles as well this might

You'll also probably want to add an AC powered PC fan (Radio Shack for a good 20-25 bucks) to circulate the air. This will probably require that you drill a hole and then patch it up again with some caulk or putty so that you can run the wire through. Be careful when drilling of course. The fan can be run for 15 minutes every hour through the use of a digital event timer.

Condensation seems to form so the beads will definitely come in handy for that in recycling the moisture appropriately. From what I've read this happens more in the summer months when the outer temperature is much greater than that of your Vinotemp. We aren't talking rainforest here from what I gather so I would be attentive but not overly cautious.

You'll also want to close the drain so that humidity doesn't escape.

Please note that this is what I'm doing for mine as it will primarily store boxes...I have not had the experience of actually setting one up yet so take the advice with a grain of salt. FOGs or CP members that have done this before feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

As always your mileage and experience will vary than what others have experienced.

Best of luck. I want pics! :)

Air it out to get the smell out. Some people have used baking soda scrubdowns or left there's in a well ventilated area (left outside etc) with Baking soda to try to absorb the new plastic/appliance smell. Do you plan on storing singles in there or entire boxes? If just entire boxes then you can prep and "season" your vinotemp and add the shelving at a later date when you're not going to be in the dog house.

You'll need another hygrometer. A lot of people seem to use remote ones from what I've been reading and they keep the sensor itself in an empty cigar box. It seems that there have been experiences that have a broader fluctuation in Humidity and Temp readings if just left in the Vinotemp in the open. Of course if you're storing singles as well this might

You'll also probably want to add an AC powered PC fan (Radio Shack for a good 20-25 bucks) to circulate the air. This will probably require that you drill a hole and then patch it up again with some caulk or putty so that you can run the wire through. Be careful when drilling of course. The fan can be run for 15 minutes every hour through the use of a digital event timer.

Condensation seems to form so the beads will definitely come in handy for that in recycling the moisture appropriately. From what I've read this happens more in the summer months when the outer temperature is much greater than that of your Vinotemp. We aren't talking rainforest here from what I gather so I would be attentive but not overly cautious.

You'll also want to close the drain so that humidity doesn't escape.

Please note that this is what I'm doing for mine as it will primarily store boxes...I have not had the experience of actually setting one up yet so take the advice with a grain of salt. FOGs or CP members that have done this before feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about anything.

As always your mileage and experience will vary than what others have experienced.

Best of luck. I want pics! :)

Thanks Epiphany....everything I have are singles but I have some old boxes I can put them in, plus my B&M gives them away...I ordered a pound of 65% beads from heartfelt. I live in Pittsburgh so humidity ins't that big of an issue. It will be in my gameroom so the temperature should be close to consistent. Its cool in the winter and I do run my AC in the summer...so its cool then too. What exactally is the fan for? Air circulation obviously, anything else? I wll probably use the setup that "rectifythis" did with his beads, looks like a good idea; although I sent him a PM bec in his updated pic, there are no beads...that I could see anyway. I will post pics once I get this sucker up and running! Also my wife will have a couple bottles of wine in there. Thanks for the help!!
~ t

Epiphany pretty much nailed it.

My biggest issue was the smell. I washed mine with baking soda and that didn't help much. It wasn't until I washed it with warm water and soap and let it sit outside for 2 days that it finally cleared out.

As for the fan, I'm still undecided on its necessity. My timer can only run 6 events and I run mine for 30 minutes every 4 hours. Make no mistake it helps, but 15-20 minutes after it shuts down the humidity drops back to what it was. I'm waiting for my shelves to come and once they do I'm going to put some beads up top and try those without the fan to see how that works.

Epiphany pretty much nailed it.

My biggest issue was the smell. I washed mine with baking soda and that didn't help much. It wasn't until I washed it with warm water and soap and let it sit outside for 2 days that it finally cleared out.

As for the fan, I'm still undecided on its necessity. My timer can only run 6 events and I run mine for 30 minutes every 4 hours. Make no mistake it helps, but 15-20 minutes after it shuts down the humidity drops back to what it was. I'm waiting for my shelves to come and once they do I'm going to put some beads up top and try those without the fan to see how that works.

What if Im already storing boxes in there with beads...would I still need a fan? Also, Not too keen on drilling holes into the unit, Im sure that voids the warranty...

~ t