• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

for the new guys.

cool, man. much appreciated. now i can be snobby about cigars with confidence :)

I'd recommend taking the school after: http://www.tabacordillera.com/cigar-school.htm
A great methodology for tasting/rating cigars is found on those pages, IMHO. Just ignore the sales pitch - I've never had their cigars.

Hate to say, but a lot of their propaganda is pure baloney. According to that site, Cuban Tobacco is not fermented at all. Strange that Cohiba is famous for it's third fermentation process then...

*cough* It seems they went all out to convince us how much better their product is than 'Harsh' and 'Acidic' Cuban Cigars.

Bah.

I'd recommend taking the school after: http://www.tabacordillera.com/cigar-school.htm
A great methodology for tasting/rating cigars is found on those pages, IMHO. Just ignore the sales pitch - I've never had their cigars.

Hate to say, but a lot of their propaganda is pure baloney. According to that site, Cuban Tobacco is not fermented at all. Strange that Cohiba is famous for it's third fermentation process then...

*cough* It seems they went all out to convince us how much better their product is than 'Harsh' and 'Acidic' Cuban Cigars.

Bah.

FINALLY, an objective standpoint! :laugh: :laugh: Good ones Macy! :thumbs:

Read more post less....you'll find all the info you need right here at CP...Search is your friend! :)

Bah.

From http://www.lacasadelhabano.cu/site/content...4/lang,english/ (Page 4 of the link, bold mine):
Uniquely amongst Habanos, two of Cohiba's filler leaves, the seco and the ligero, undergo a third fermentation in barrels, which adds smoothness to the blend

According to everything I've read, Cuban shade-grown wrapper only gets the first (full leaf) fermentation, plus whatever "special treatment" is done at each factory. IIRC, that author was referring to the lack of a second fermentation (after aging the leaves and stripping the stem) for wrapper.

As for acidity, how can one not notice that, before aging, CC's are, on average, more acidic than similar NC's?. As an aside, Canada Customs developed a (unfortunately destructive) methodology for determining Cuban vs. non-Cuban cigars (new production, not aged stuff). IIRC, US Customs uses the same methodology. The method isn't perfect - Bering being an infamous example - but acidity was one of the discriminants, IIRC.

Agreed that there is a lot of propaganda on the link - the same is true of any company literature. However, some of the originally-published-elsewhere articles aren't anywhere else on the web AFAIK, e.g., the CigarOasis company's research into how humidity enters and leaves a cigar. The company bought the rights to publish these articles from the copyright holders so we can read them for free; there are going to be ads :whistling: .

I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you mate. The best test for the quality of a cigar is taste. Of the last year of box-purchases of genuine Cuban Cigars, acidity was not at all apparent. I'm a fan of the bolder offerings too, like the Lusitania.

It seems to me that this manufacturer is going to enormous lengths to discredit modern Cuban cigar methods, despite the fact that the island produces some excellent sticks. Mind you, when I say modern... I should say current. They still Ox-Plow their fields.

Bah.

From http://www.lacasadelhabano.cu/site/content...4/lang,english/ (Page 4 of the link, bold mine):
Uniquely amongst Habanos, two of Cohiba's filler leaves, the seco and the ligero, undergo a third fermentation in barrels, which adds smoothness to the blend

According to everything I've read, Cuban shade-grown wrapper only gets the first (full leaf) fermentation, plus whatever "special treatment" is done at each factory. IIRC, that author was referring to the lack of a second fermentation (after aging the leaves and stripping the stem) for wrapper.

As for acidity, how can one not notice that, before aging, CC's are, on average, more acidic than similar NC's?. As an aside, Canada Customs developed a (unfortunately destructive) methodology for determining Cuban vs. non-Cuban cigars (new production, not aged stuff). IIRC, US Customs uses the same methodology. The method isn't perfect - Bering being an infamous example - but acidity was one of the discriminants, IIRC.

Agreed that there is a lot of propaganda on the link - the same is true of any company literature. However, some of the originally-published-elsewhere articles aren't anywhere else on the web AFAIK, e.g., the CigarOasis company's research into how humidity enters and leaves a cigar. The company bought the rights to publish these articles from the copyright holders so we can read them for free; there are going to be ads :whistling: .

re: Pissing: Agreed, and never my intent. My apologies.

No need to apologise mate. I was just saying that I was not going to head into debate territory with a subject that nobody can ever really agree on.

But don't be sorry for having your own point of view.