• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Macallan 25 yo Fine Oak

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Macallan 25 yo Fine Oak, Macallan 25 yo Fine Oak. 86 proof, 70 or 75cl, Presentation Box packaging, about $500, limited distribution in the US.

Macallan%2025%20Fine%20Oak.jpg

A nice sample provided by sigar_zealot followed up with a purchase in my recent Macallan buy led to this review. I figure might as well aim high to start the new year off.

Unlike the standard Macallan, the Fine Oak version is triple matured in American Oak ex-bourbon casks up to 8 years old, American Oak ex-sherry casks up to 2 years old and European Oak ex-sherry casks also up to 2 years old. Until the release of the Fine Oak series all Macallan since the early 70's was stored in sherry casks only.

After a fine ham dinner with all the fixings I settled back to watch the Sugar Bowl for awhile before I poured myself a sample of the Macallan Fine Oak. The nose starts off slightly with a cleaner (think Windex) type of smell under the bits of orange, honey and dry grasses. Letting it sit for a few minutes removed 99% of the cleaner smell. With that taken care of I had the first taste. The body is full with orange and leather and sherry underneath. The intermingling of flavors is fairly complex with some tannins making themselves known. The finish is a bit short with the normal slight peat that the sherried Macallan has while continuing the orange from the nosing and tasting.

$500 is A LOT of money for a bottle of anything and at that price I expect some improvement above the less expensive versions. Even with the application of the law of diminishing returns there should be something to recommend the higher price. I can't say this holds true for the 25 year old version in the Fine Oak series. The 17 and even more so the 18 yo versions are more interesting and "alive" while only 30% of the price. I haven't had the 21 yo so I don't know if that is an improvement also.

Buy one if you really want one but don't expect the equal of the 25 yo Sherried Version.

The 18yr old fine oak is excellent, and the 12 has a pleasing smoothness to it, though I am converted to the Glenrothes for an exceptionally smooth and delicious experience over the Macallan Fine Oak.

I agree, the 18 yo does seem to be the "bang-for-the-buck" winner of this series.

I have a bottle of this and it is just fantastic! :thumbs: I have tried several kinds of scotch/whiskey thanks to the many threads by AVB. This one is my favorites of the bottles that I own. I have the 18 and the 12, they are good too but not as refined. :D

Sorry to hear this one doesn't do it for you Ray. As you know I enjoy it quite a bit.

I haven't seen the 18 year FO available in the US. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you or someone else here once say the 17 Fine Oak is actually an 18 year old whisky marketed as a 17 year old in the US so it wouldn't be confused with the 18 year old Sherry Oak line? I could swear I remember reading that but maybe I dreamed it. :sign:

I have heard that myself although I'm not the one who has said it. The FO 18 isn't available in the US AFAIK except for ebay but I've had a couple of the minis. I can get you a FO 21 for just under $200 at the moment if the exchange rate stays where it is. Something to think about for the next buy maybe.

Per Macallan themselves, the 17 yo FO is actually 18 yo, only labeled as 17 yo to differentiate. This was mentioned during a Macallan tasting event in Los Angeles.

Kiwifruit,
Thanks for the clarification.

AVB,
I'd do that in a heartbeat if the presentation box comes with. The best I can is $249.99 plus tax so that's quite a savings.

Yeah it would come with the box.

Sorry to hear this one doesn't do it for you Ray. As you know I enjoy it quite a bit.

I haven't seen the 18 year FO available in the US. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you or someone else here once say the 17 Fine Oak is actually an 18 year old whisky marketed as a 17 year old in the US so it wouldn't be confused with the 18 year old Sherry Oak line? I could swear I remember reading that but maybe I dreamed it. :sign:

LOL I think I was the one that mentioned the 17 is actually 18. I was told that at a Macallan tasting in a bar in Dallas by a Rep.