• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bowmore 17 yo Islay Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Bowmore 17 yo Islay Scotch Whisky, 86 proof, Presentation tube, $50-60, 750 ml.

Bowmore%2017.JPG

Bowmore, The oldest distillery on the Isle of Islay makes a very wide variety of products to choose from, at least a dozen that I can think of. Different ages, cask types, multiple caskings all are part of the line. This review is for one of their more straight forward bottlings, a 17 yo single malt casked in oak. If you have the money the 30 yo ($180-210) is a superb scotch.

The wife and I went out to a small dinner party last night at some friends house. A pretty good Curried Walnut Chicken and some wine made for an enjoyable evening. After returning home I poured myself a nightcap of Bowmore and kicked back by the fireplace.

Bowmore, overall, is probably the least "peaty" of all the Islay scotches. Although it measures in the lower medium range for peat it doesn't actually taste that way. The nosing has the typical hint of the sea that all Islay scotches have with smoke and a little fresh fruit in the background. Tasting gives you a full well rounded flavor where smoke and a slight sweetness come through. The finish is rather short but leaves you thinking of the sea that kept this scotch company for those 17 years.

Based on previous tastings I would not suggest that this scotch be cut with water. If you must use ice try to limit it to just one cube. This is a fine after dinner scotch and has gone well with medium body cigars. This is a scotch one should seriously consider adding to the collection and is a fine introduction to what the stronger Islay scotches of Laphroaig and Lagauvlin have to offer.
:thumbs:

I don't know how true this is but I have just heard that the 17 yo Bowmore may be replaced with a 15 yo version. If I get better info I'll post it. Now would be a good time to buy the 17 yo in either case :)

Thanks for the review and the head's up. I love Lagavulin so the Bowmore sounds like one to try.

My father and I collect Scotch, have the one that you reviewed, and also the Darkest Islay and 25 year old. Have to agree with you on the less "peaty" of the islays, and that its a great after dinner scotch, but really, what scotch isn't good after dinner. :D

I really like this one. I had a friend over the other night and we were trying all my bottles, but this is one that stood out the most. It's got a nice mix of smoke/peat that I guess I am more partial to. I can honestly say that after that night I could really start to tell what the difference between highland,lowland, Islay and speyside were...and I'm definitely an Islay guy.