• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Birthday Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Glen Grant 1956 40 yo Highland Scotch, 80 proof, 700 ml, unavailable in the US, $250-275 ordered from the UK.

Glen%20Grant%201956.JPG

Glen Grant owned by Seagram, Pernod, is the largest Scotch whisky brand in the world with most of their production going into blends. However, in Italy, they are the largest selling Scotch under their own name.

Birthday or not, today was a workday for me but it never happened, 8” of snow and a late plow forced me to stay home :D . My wife was going to take me out for a seafood dinner but instead we stayed home and I grilled steaks on the back porch. After our dinner I opened my present, poured a few ounces into my glass and relaxed and then smoked a cigar until I started writing this review.

Being that this scotch was a present from my wife and was distilled in the year of my birth, my opinion may be a bit biased. That being said I found the nosing to remind me of old apples and honey with a touch of smoke, very nice overall. The taste is very smooth with a slight sweet dryness and a good fullness. The light quality allows the peat flavor to mix with a slight citrus undertone that most highland malts seem to have. The finish shows a solid sherry background that is stronger then the norm but doesn’t detract. A lingering sweetness slowly fades after about five minutes.

Being as light a Scotch as this is and only 80 proof makes the 1956 Glen Grant a fine “desert” style of scotch. I think it would be over-powered by a strong cigar but as a drink leading up to that cigar would be perfect. I followed this up with my last 1995 Montecristo #2 enjoyed by the warm glow of the fireplace. It doesn't get much better.

If anyone is interested I can point you in the right direction to get "Birthday Scotch" that is 25,30,35,40,45 or 50 years old. Might make a great gift for you or someone you know.

AVB said:
If anyone is interested I can point you in the right direction to get "Birthday Scotch" that is 25,30,35,40,45 or 50 years old. Might make a great gift for you or someone you know.
Great review :thumbs: And I would be interested in finding a bottle or two from 1964 :)

There are some really great Bowmore scotches from 1964 but they are big bucks. You might want to look at Glen Albyn 27yr 1964 ~$160, Tullibardine 27yr 1964 ~$175 and Glen Moray 27yr 1964 ~$215. There are others but they can be really hard to find or get.

AVB said:
There are some really great Bowmore scotches from 1964 but they are big bucks. You might want to look at Glen Albyn 27yr 1964 ~$160, Tullibardine 27yr 1964 ~$175 and Glen Moray 27yr 1964 ~$215. There are others but they can be really hard to find or get.
Thanks! :thumbs:

im too young for a birthday scotch, but it would be interesting to see. 1983. Would be cool to get my dad one, but hes ancient and might cost too much, but what the hey 1949.

1949 is easy, look here. At £241.38 delivered (approx $465) it isn't cheap but this is the cheapest of any that I know of. This the same place where I got my 1956.

There are a number of 1983 vintages you can choose from but you aren't old enough to order them yet. PM me if you really want more info.

I live in Canada, so I can actually buy alcohol. Only problem is, I live in Ontario, which has a stupid law that makes it so you have to buy alcohol from within the province, so online orders are a no go for me.

Actually, buying from the UK is illegal everywhere in the US too. If they catch it you will lose it. The only thing I could suggest if you were willing to take the chance is to have it shipped to a friend in the US and then have him FedEx or UPS it to you. You can't mail alcohol in the US either.

There are a few scotches from 1976 here.

This was a nice way to finish up my birthday tonight.

Happy birthday AVB. Good to see you have something nice to drink for the occasion.

Following the recent tradition I had another dram of my birthday scotch tonight. I might have to buy more so I have some for another 10 years after this bottle is gone.

Happy Birthday, thats a great looking bottle. I love the Highland Malts and that one sure looks / sounds like a winner.

Enjoy!!