• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Glenlivet 12 yo Highland Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
The Glenlivet 12 yo, Presentation box, 375ml-750ml-1L-1.75L, $17-32-38-70 (approx), 80 proof.

Glenlivet%2012.JPG

In the scotch world there is a saying that you can't go wrong with the two Glens. This is one of those two, the other being Glenfiddich. Most peoples first taste of a single malt scotch was one of these two brands. The Glenlivet is perhaps the best known of all the Scotch single malts. Its founder, George Smith was the first to apply for a legal distilling license in 1824. Mr. Smith was going against the popular sentiment at the time in doing so, but his foresight to see the economic opportunities of legal distilling would give The Glenlivet a "head start" on all the competition that is yet to be overcome. It would be his grit and a pair of hair-trigger pistols given to him by the laird of Aberlour that ensured his perseverance over some of his more unscrupulous competition.

The Glenlivet 12 yo is a light amber in color, not having as much time in the sherry casks as it's older versions. The nose reminds me of flowers, clean and simple, with some maltiness. Sherry can be detected along with some spice and vanilla. The taste is medium and smooth with a subtle peatiness and is slightly sweet and fruity, with vanilla notes. Overall clean and well-balanced.with a long, but mild and warming finish. Perhaps with a trace of peat at the end.

I had my review drink along with a 1997 Vintage Macanudo and they went very well together. I can reccomend that combination whole heartedly. Too bad I only have one Mac left . :(

A must have in any collection just because of it's popularity alone and the most familure to non-scotch drinkers. Overall a good value as a "regular" drink. :)

1 L bottle is supposed to be phased out in the US but they have been saying that for a few years now.

How come only Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are th eonly ones considered "the glens?"

What about Glenmorangie? And I believe there is at least one other Glen out there.

There are at least a 2 dozen "Glens" available

Glenfiffich
Glenlivet
Glen Keith
Glenkinchie
Glen Albyn
Glenallachie
Glenburgie
Glencraig
Glendronach
Glen Goyne
Glen Grant
Glen Mhor
Glen Moray
Glen Spay
Glen Scotia

You get the idea

The Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are the largest sellers and so get the props.

Don't forget Glenfarclas ;) Another great review. Thanks AVB :thumbs:

Sure there's a Glen Burnie, it's just down the road from Jessup. They make swill there so next time you have something that makes you say," Damn, that is some real swill." Thank Maryland. :p

WEll I am from Glen Burnie, and I don't make swill
I make some pretty good Barley Wine, and I drink Glenlivet
most of the time.

Don't want them revenuers chopping my house down to find a still
and my back yard is too small to hide one..

Glad to see that somebody is reading the old reviews. I used to live in Glen Burnie so I figured I could rag on in with some authority.

Didn't you say you had a big back yard in your herf post?

i finally tried some this weekend. I was sitting in my lawn chair smoking a coro...very much enjoyed this..not as tasty at the laphroig I had tired in the past..but still very good. I found small hints of vanilla..very refreshing on my pallette..and it did have a warm feeling going down..

Look for some Ardbeg or Talisker next if you like the Laphroaig.

Damn you read my mind,, I came across a bottle in the cellar of Talisker. That will be my next victim..

I think Glenlivet gets a bad rap because it's so common. You see it in every bar along with Glenfiddich and the two Glens are also the single malts that every "Joe 6-pack" will buy when they have a party, (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way). A very nice single malt at an affordable price and a good consistent product.

As always a nice review AVB...

Does Glenlivet make the Aberlour line, too?

I seem to remember that tidbit and you mention an incident with the Laird of Aberlour above.

I believe both Aberlour and Glenlivet are owned by Pernod Ricard but Glenlivet does not make Aberlour, they are separate distilleries.