• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Zippo Blu Problem

tomthirtysix

Wishing I was as cool as Phil
Yes, I know there was recently a thread about problems with this lighter, but this is unlike anything I've seen before. I figured it deserved its own thread.

I was in Central Park lighting up a cigar. Because of the wind by the lake, it took a little longer than usual, but nothing too out of the ordinary. I went to close my lighter, and it wouldn't shut. It was like something was jammed in the lid. Took a look at the clip inside that makes the clicking sound, and saw the problem.

Evidently, the piece that houses the clip is made of plastic. There's a plastic block with a spring inside, and a pin runs through the clip holding the clip in place. And the plastic melted on one side. The hole holding the pin stretched out, and the clip was now cockeyed, and that's why it wouldn't close. Imagine that! A plastic piece next to a flame melted!

I'm imagining that my description of the problem may seem a little hard to follow, so I have some pics:

100_4653.jpg

100_4658.jpg

The side where the housing melted. Hard to see because of the lighting, but if you look close, you can see the hole for the pin stretched out.

100_4656.jpg

The other side of the lighter, where you can see the angle the pin is on a little better.

100_4655.jpg

100_4659.jpg

From the back of the lighter, maybe the best view.

Anyone ever see anything like this?

Edit - to change title

I just use the ZPlus inserts for my zippo. Now I guess I'm sure I made the right choice. :D

That's a terrible design. I'm sure Zippo will send you a new one, but that shouldn't happen. I've never even had the plastic on a BIC melt and ruin the lighter.

Yes, I know there was recently a thread about problems with this lighter, but this is unlike anything I've seen before. I figured it deserved its own thread.

I was in Central Park lighting up a cigar. Because of the wind by the lake, it took a little longer than usual, but nothing too out of the ordinary. I went to close my lighter, and it wouldn't shut. It was like something was jammed in the lid. Took a look at the clip inside that makes the clicking sound, and saw the problem.

Evidently, the piece that houses the clip is made of plastic. There's a plastic block with a spring inside, and a pin runs through the clip holding the clip in place. And the plastic melted on one side. The hole holding the pin stretched out, and the clip was now cockeyed, and that's why it wouldn't close. Imagine that! A plastic piece next to a flame melted!

I'm imagining that my description of the problem may seem a little hard to follow, so I have some pics:

100_4653.jpg

100_4658.jpg

The side where the housing melted. Hard to see because of the lighting, but if you look close, you can see the hole for the pin stretched out.

100_4656.jpg

The other side of the lighter, where you can see the angle the pin is on a little better.

100_4655.jpg

100_4659.jpg

That's too bad Tom, sorry to hear about it.

Tom, clearly, your life sucks buddy. :(

100_4653.jpg

100_4658.jpg

100_4656.jpg

100_4655.jpg

100_4659.jpg

I haven't used a zippo in years, but last time I checked, Zippo had a free repair policy, if that helps you any.

I've been using the Zplus for almost 3 years. It has never failed. $20 for the original Zippo, and $10 for the Zplus. $30 conversion versus the $60 Zippo Blue...for me it was a no brainer.

Jason

I had a Zippo Blue and ended up tossing it after many tries to get to work reliably. Chalk it up to experience Tom and get a real lighter. Might I recommend one of those cool torches Rod was selling?!

Fish

it's a nice try by Zippo to make a torch lighter. I have only sold
1 zippo blue out of the I bought.

poor design good concept

That's a terrible design. I'm sure Zippo will send you a new one, but that shouldn't happen. I've never even had the plastic on a BIC melt and ruin the lighter.

I agree, Zippo will probably replace it. While I've never had a BIC melt, I have had one explode in my hand. I was using it as a flashlight one night and after about a minute of continuous flame, POW! A fireball exploded out the top and sent the top flying into oblivion. After that experience I read the safety sticker on the next one I purchased. Sure enough, it says not to keep it lit for more than 40 seconds. A little scary, but nobody was hurt.

Good luck getting the replacement!

I sent it in for repair, and it got to the factory on July 29th. I got an email from them letting me know they received it, and normal turnaround time is 4-5 weeks. Got the Zippo back on Tuesday, the 11th, less than 2 weeks after they got it.

They put in a whole new insert. Now - I got the lighter originally pretty much when they first came out. And I had the same problems I hear abut a lot, flame sputters, trouble filling it all the way, very small flame. I have only used it since its return a couple times, but it seems like a completely different insert. Filled much easier, and the flame is 100x better than even the best flame I got before.

So, if you're one of those guys who has one and says it sucks, all hope may not be lost. Maybe they worked out the kinks from the first release, and know what they're doing now. Maybe your lighter just needs a repair... Oh - they also sent me 2 flints for my trouble :D

Thanks for letting us know about your experience Tom, I too bought an engraved version when they first came out and had the sputtering problems. I'm gonna pack that baby up and send it back for updating.

dave