• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

fix seal

mateo

CP Newbie
Is it possible to fix a bad seal on a humidor? I tried the dollar bill test because I can't find a flashlight that will fit inside. All I have is a mag lite. I am not sure what the dollar bill proves. It didn't just slip right out but it wasn't hard to remove. I am borrowing my dads mini mag lite tomorrow so well see, but if it does have a bad seal am I out a 140 dollar humidor?

If it offered some resistance you are fine. Sit back and take a deep breath.....

HERE is what I found by using the search function. Read through some of those and see if you can find a solution in any of those threads. And then read through the Bill Clinton thread Doc recommended HERE. There is not only some specific advice given that might help your current situation, but is overall a great read.

You having "problems" with the seal from this humidor? Maybe do some reading? Everytime a new question pops into your head about a humidor, you don't have to start a new thread. Chances are it's been asked, and answered, a few times already.

I have heard a few people speak of using dental floss to seal the lip.

I have heard a few people speak of using dental floss to seal the lip.
I think you meant dental wax. I don't see how floss would really seal anything. But stranger things have been accomplished I suppose.

Is it possible to fix a bad seal on a humidor? I tried the dollar bill test because I can't find a flashlight that will fit inside. All I have is a mag lite. I am not sure what the dollar bill proves. It didn't just slip right out but it wasn't hard to remove. I am borrowing my dads mini mag lite tomorrow so well see, but if it does have a bad seal am I out a 140 dollar humidor?

Yes, I made a gasket out of GE Bathtub caulk for my first humi.

Here's how I did it:

Build up some masking tape around the lip about 1/16"-1/8" high,
leaving a gap that the caulk will fill in. Cut strips of waxed paper.
Shoot some caulk into the gap, put strips of waxed paper over
the caulk and close the lid of the humi. Let it cure for a couple
of days, maybe a week. After it cures, open the lid, peel off the
waxed paper and masking tape, and you'll find a tight seal.
Trim as you see fit.

Another way to make a gasket is to shoot the caulk on some
waxed paper in approx. the same dimension as the lip on your humi.
Use some coins or toothpicks as spacers.
Place another piece of waxed paper on top, then put a book
over that, which will flatten the caulk to the height of
the spacers. Let it cure and then you can cut pieces of
cured caulk to fit along the lip of your humi. Use a very
thin bead of caulk to secure the pieces of gasket.

I used the alcohol based GE Bathtub Caulk II, rather than the acetic
acid based caulk, just for less odor.(I didn't want a vinegar(acid)
smell in my new humi)

If you want a little air circulation thru the humi, you can trim a few
small gaps in the gasket.

My humi seals tight and holds rh for a week+ without adding water to the beads.
Mine has some air circulation, since I did NOT seal around the window in my lid.
And it smells GREAT, when I open the lid! Mmmmmmmm... tasty!

Chemyst :cool: