• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

El Rey Del Mundo Lonsdale '98

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
El Rey Del Mundo
Size: Unknown, appeared to be a Lonsdale
Wrapper: Cuban
Binder: Cuban
Filler: Cuban
Strength: Mild

First, let me start by giving a very big thank you to DirtyDave again for the awesome bomb he sent me, in which this stick was included. Every cigar in the bomb was one I have not had, and I can honestly say that I was grinning from ear to ear when I opened that package. I promised Dave I would do reviews on the cigars he sent me, and I must confess that I've smoked a few of them without reviewing them. The reason for that? They were so damn tasty I just sat back and let the time fly by while enjoying them completely. Thank you Dave, it was a nice thing you did. :)

Today was a great day, as I spent most of it with my girlfriend Deanna having lunch, miniature golfing, shopping, and otherwise just enjoying her company. We finished the evening by taking a trip to my new home Bo's Cigars in Long Beach, where I had the pleasure of herfing it up with Shant, Deanna, her father Dave, and a shit ton of other guys including Bo himself. After finally getting home, I had intended on going to bed but found myself unable to sleep, and decided since I haven't written a review for a bit now, I might as well go outside to enjoy one of those smokes Dave sent. I dug around in the fridgeador, finally settled on this finely aged El Rey Del Mundo, grabbed my tools of destruction and headed outside.

On inspecting the stick I found it to be of good construction with a rough wrapper featuring several large veins, a good looking cap, and a perfectly bunched foot. I found no hard or soft spots on gently squeezing the cigar along the length of its lightly oily wrapper, and upon punching the cap I found a perfect draw with a hint of cinnamon sweetness. I decided to go the match route for lighting tonight, only keeping the torch at hand for touch ups, relights and purges if need be. After a few gentle puffs to get the foot burning evenly, I took a slow, deep draw and let the smoke roll out of my mouth and nose gently. I was surprised at the mild, creaminess of the ample smoke, which left behind a very short finish that had a nice woodiness to it as well as slight tastes of vanilla and a sweetness that, while difficult to pinpoint at first, reminded me of black cherries.

As the slow, even burn progressed it revealed that familiar charcoal gray ash that, from my understanding and somewhat limited experience, indicates an ISOM. The ash held on until let go at the inch mark, though it came off very, very easily which told me that I should be careful of it dropping off in my lap if left to go too far. The flavors and strength stayed mild throughout the first third, and as I moved into the second third I began to pick up a hint of toasted bread. I'd have to say that the mildness of this cigar was surprising, as it was devoid of any pepper spice both in taste and when letting the smoke out the nose. Perhaps it was due to the Tatuaje Miami that I had at Bo's earlier, that thing was blasting my nostrils with sheer black pepper, not that I am complaining! The burn was staying consistent thus far, though I did have to relight a couple times due to me letting the cigar go too long in between draws (I became totally engrossed in the Bill Clinton fiasco thread...THAT is a freakin' great read right there!). Coming into the final third, the flavors were consistent though still mild, and the draw was spot on throughout. I finished this cigar at about the three quarter inch mark just as I read the last post in the Bill Clinton thread.

I'd have to say that the mildness of this cigar, flavor and strength wise, came as a bit of a surprise to me. I have never had an El Rey Del Mundos before, both ISOM or otherwise, so perhaps this is not the norm. I'll have to read some other reviews of the same cigar to get a feel for how these have been smoking, but I will say that I do intend on buying a few more so I can do a review on one with a fresh palate. I enjoyed this cigar very much in the sense that the mildness was perfect for the late hour, and it might have been even better in the morning with a hot cup of breakfast blend coffee. Thank you again Dave, I hope I did the cigar justice with this review, my apologies if otherwise! :) I look forward to the review of the rest of the cigars!

ElReyDelMundoLonsdale98081409.jpg

I've not smoked that many ERDM, but the ones I have smoked were great. I'm thinking age probably mellowed out the one you smoked Charles as well as it being a smaller RG. Excellent review my friend!

Love the lunch clubs but I prefer them kind of young. I've realized that there are some CC's that are better with just a few years on them instead of 10+.

I enjoyed your review of one of my favorites. :D I do find these to be mild, building to a medium by the final third, but never being much stronger than that. I usually get a little spice from these, but not a lot. I do think that the age has mellowed these, but I don't really have any standard for comparison. I believe these are discontinued, if I remember correctly, but I might try to find one more box because I really do enjoy them.

Glad you liked it, and have been enjoying the others. Sounds like quite a night you had. Again, glad you enjoyed it. With all this talk about the "Bill Clinton" thread lately, I think I might search that out tonight while enjoying one of these tonight. ;)

I enjoyed your review of one of my favorites. :D I do find these to be mild, building to a medium by the final third, but never being much stronger than that. I usually get a little spice from these, but not a lot. I do think that the age has mellowed these, but I don't really have any standard for comparison. I believe these are discontinued, if I remember correctly, but I might try to find one more box because I really do enjoy them.

Glad you liked it, and have been enjoying the others. Sounds like quite a night you had. Again, glad you enjoyed it. With all this talk about the "Bill Clinton" thread lately, I think I might search that out tonight while enjoying one of these tonight. ;)

Thanks Dave! :D You have to read that thread, it really should be a requirement for us noobs when we join CP.

Well... It's done. I've read the whole BC thread. Wow, it puts the whole OR Anejo situation into a new light for me. While it was a different situation, there comes a point when you just have to stop posting. BC would have been fine if he had just stopped at page 2 or 3... I finished my ERDM by about pg 10. Now it's time for bed. I did notice some of the sweetness that you pointed out that I don't think I had before. I nubbed it, it was nice and relaxing which is what I needed after a long week at work... And I have to be back there in 8 hours :( It was supposed to be my day off.

That thread should be required reading. It is a great example of what not to do. It also shed some light on the comments I've read about people trying to change the board. While it was brief, I'm guessing it was a bigger issue elsewhere on the board. I was half tempted to bump it again to see what Doc would say! :sign:

I'll let someone else do that.