• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cutting your cigar

RyJ Smoker

Official Opus & Padron whore
I 'punch' 90% of the cigars I smoke and cut the ones I can't. I was reading some cigar reviews on here yesterday and noticed that a gentleman on here cuts his at an angle. Is there a reason behind that, or is it more a 'personal preference'? I'll be trying this on my next cigar that I don't 'punch'.

Also, after cutting it at an angle, which end is up? The longer or shorter portion?

Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey L.

I cut the tapered end at an angle as it opens up more area and also directs the smoke more towards the palate (the more open area towards the tongue).

I cut the tapered end at an angle as it opens up more area and also directs the smoke more towards the palate (the more open area towards the tongue).
So, the tip (more or less) of the angled cut would be right-side up?

Thanks!

Jeffrey L.

That is an intereting concept. Will have to give it a try with my pyramids...

Funny, I've wondered that for a while. It seems to work great for Kingantz, I might have to give it a try.

I do this on torpedos/pyramids. :thumbs:

Hell I thought you only had a punch :laugh:

WELL, I WON'T ARGUE THAT THERE IS NO UP, BUT NEWTON Sure proved there was a down. An the other hand, you are not smoking an apple; are you? :0

I think it is called the Dickman cut, cut on a 45 degree angle so the smoke is directed to your plate as stated by Greg. So I always have the longer portion of the cut on top. If you search, you can find out who is named for it and such. I use it on all my torps.,figs, and pyramids.

Found it...

No conversation about cigar cutting would be truly complete without mentioning the "Dick Cut." Now stop laughing and let me explain... It is named in honor of its biggest proponent, Joe Dickman, the soon to be retired Fuente-Newman west coast sales rep. This is a straight cut, but done at 45-degree angle. This cut opens a tremendous surface area and directs the smoke down onto the palate - the idea being that it will maximize the cigar's flavor.

Jeffrey L.

Funny, I've wondered that for a while. It seems to work great for Kingantz, I might have to give it a try.

Well hell, why don't we just call it the "Greg Cut??" :laugh: Plus, I thought Greg only owned a punch. I won't believe his claims until I see it in a review! :sign:

Well hell, why don't we just call it the "Greg Cut??" :laugh: Plus, I thought Greg only owned a punch. I won't believe his claims until I see it in a review! :sign:

I am no expert; actually more like an incompetent novice! However, it seems that the angled cut would increase the surface area of the cut, which in turn may increase the draw. So, the angle cut cigar may smoke differently. Just a thought.

Will do. I'm bummed that I missed you and Charles while I was out in SoCal. Hopefully things will work out better next year. I'll be out around the same time again.

Why don't you guys quit jacking around and get to the crux of this. The angle of the dangle is equal to the proportionate square of the hypotenuse except where the sum of Pi over I is is an integer greater that 3 to the 7th power. ???

Found it...

No conversation about cigar cutting would be truly complete without mentioning the "Dick Cut." Now stop laughing and let me explain... It is named in honor of its biggest proponent, Joe Dickman, the soon to be retired Fuente-Newman west coast sales rep. This is a straight cut, but done at 45-degree angle. This cut opens a tremendous surface area and directs the smoke down onto the palate - the idea being that it will maximize the cigar's flavor.

Jeffrey L.
First off I’m not comfortable calling a cigar cut a "DICK CUT" then putting it in your mouth :whistling: it just bothers me A LOT I don’t know about all of you guys but lets just call it an angle cut :D :p

Here's the Greg Cut. :D

DSC00469.jpg

spit.gif

Dear Bejeebus!! I don't think I've laughed like that in quite a while!!!!!