• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dona Flor Seleçao Robusto

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
Alright, time to wrap up my little science project with the second review, the Dona Flor Seleçao Robusto. I purchased this cigar in January of '08 at Factory Direct Cigars in Rio Rancho, NM. It was shortly after the favorable magazine rating in December of '07, but before the BCT/Menendez conflict in March.

The wrapper is slightly reddish and a tad rough. The bands are fairly loose and slide around a bit. After clipping, the cold draw tastes of hay and the familiar barnyard.

After lighting, the cigar tastes great with a draw that is spot on. The flavor is fairly complex, with some wood and coffee notes. There's a bit of pepper on the finish, right on the tip of the tongue. An underlying creamieness ties all of the flavors together nicely. The burn is a little lopsided at first, but soon self-corrects.

In the second third the flavor profile loses a little of the complexity, but it gains a tiny amount of a sweetness on the finish. In the final third the cigar begins to peter out, changing to a medium-full spice with little else going on. I'm also noticing a little bit of a nic-kick. I take it down to about a half-inch nub.

gallery_7985_1339_24999.jpg

Overall this was a very good cigar. I enjoyed it a great deal more than the regular Dona Flor that I picked up in Brazil in '05. I am now very curious to see what the post-blowup BCT and Menendez Amerino Dona Flors each smoke like. Definitely worth trying if you have the gumption to find someplace that sells them.

gallery_7985_1339_13361.jpg

Great review of an elusive cigar Barry. The 2 I've smoked have had the band on the foot but the label looks the same. Making my mouth water!