• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chivas Regal 18 yo blended Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Chivas Regal 18 yo blended Scotch, 750ml Dumpy style bottle, Presentation Box, $45-55.

Chivas%20Regal%2018.JPG

This is the older "premium" version of the well known 12 year old Chivas. Being a blended scotch this does not mean it is the same mixture only older. Part of the master's touch is how a blend is created; how much of what and what age goes into his blend. Like all good blends there is a fair amount of whiskey older then the minimum 18 years stated on the bottle.

Chivas is the number one contender to Johnnie Walker's crown as the best selling premium blended scotch in the world. The main part of it's marketing has been the packaging and that it is a bit mellower than JW. However, being mellower can be a two edged sword. While the smoother character may be better for sales it is not better for the scotch IMO. Chivas comes across like the drink version of your favorite sweater, always there, always comfortable, and almost always in style. The nose is fairly clean with hints of grass and toffee while the taste reminds me of dried plums and chocolate along side that of the sherry casks this scotch matured in. The finish is long and smooth quite big really and only slightly smoky.

It is hard to fault something as well made as Chivas 18 yo but this is something made for the American market and contains none of the quirkiness that vatted or single malts do. It is a drink that you don't have to think about and any time spent analyzing it's complexities somehow doesn't seem as worthwhile as doing the same with a single malt. Chivas does exactly what it was made to do but don't expect any Scotch revelations from it.

Reputation alone almost requires a bottle of Chivas in any well stocked bar. It really is a great starter into the world of Scotch.

I love Chivas 12 so I can imagine the 18 could be my favorite blended scotch. Thanks for another fine review :thumbs:

I don't have any of the 12 yo at the house but I did try some last night at the neighbors. If you like the 12, you'll love the 18 IMHO.

Can't say that I really enjoyed this one. I actually liked the 12 yr better then the 18 yr.
Also I paid close to $60 for a bottle of this stuff...

The review is over 2 years old. Prices change

You got that right, it would be nice if they went the other way though.
In my opinion I would rather spend the extra 10 bucks for a bottle of Lagavulin 16yr :D

Chivas Regal 18 yo blended Scotch, 750ml Dumpy style bottle, Presentation Box, $45-55.

Chivas%20Regal%2018.JPG

This is the older "premium" version of the well known 12 year old Chivas. Being a blended scotch this does not mean it is the same mixture only older. Part of the master's touch is how a blend is created; how much of what and what age goes into his blend. Like all good blends there is a fair amount of whiskey older then the minimum 18 years stated on the bottle.

Chivas is the number one contender to Johnnie Walker's crown as the best selling premium blended scotch in the world. The main part of it's marketing has been the packaging and that it is a bit mellower than JW. However, being mellower can be a two edged sword. While the smoother character may be better for sales it is not better for the scotch IMO. Chivas comes across like the drink version of your favorite sweater, always there, always comfortable, and almost always in style. The nose is fairly clean with hints of grass and toffee while the taste reminds me of dried plums and chocolate along side that of the sherry casks this scotch matured in. The finish is long and smooth quite big really and only slightly smoky.

It is hard to fault something as well made as Chivas 18 yo but this is something made for the American market and contains none of the quirkiness that vatted or single malts do. It is a drink that you don't have to think about and any time spent analyzing it's complexities somehow doesn't seem as worthwhile as doing the same with a single malt. Chivas does exactly what it was made to do but don't expect any Scotch revelations from it.
I find lots of similarity chivas with glenfiddish wonder if there is any relations. do you think it justify the difference in price
Reputation alone almost requires a bottle of Chivas in any well stocked bar. It really is a great starter into the world of Scotch.

In my opinion I would rather spend the extra 10 bucks for a bottle of Lagavulin 16yr :D
you hit it right on

Chivas%20Regal%2018.JPG

I find lots of similarity chivas with glenfiddish wonder if there is any relations. do you think it justify the difference in price

you hit it right on

davidb,

A few things from a fellow newb! First go and post an introduction in the intro section so the group can get to know you. Second make sure you use proper grammar and punctuation while posting. This group prefers to converse as educated adults. It wouldn't hurt to read the newb suggestion thread by eshaw as well. It helped me to avoid common rookie mistakes.
Also please remove the advertising from your sigtag, not a good first impression for the family here. It is also frowned upon to bump four year old threads unless you have something relevant to add for the entire board.
Good luck!

PJ