• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glenfiddich 12 yo Single Malt Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Glenfiddich 12 yo Single Malt Scotch, presentation tube packaging, 750ml, 80 proof, screw top, about $30-35.

Glenfiddich%2012%20Special%20Reserve.JPG

When it is said you can't go wrong with one of the two "Glens" this is one of those two. Glenfiddich is the largest selling single malt in the world with almost 1 in 4 bottles sold being one of their's. Still owned by the original founding family Glenfiddich is a classic Scotch that is one of the standards for 12 year old whisky. It was the first to introduce the triangular bottle--in 1957, now known the wold over. It was also the first to use cardboard tubes and gift tins and customize its advertising to specific international markets. Such marketing adventures have paid off for Glenfiddich and have been copied by untold numbers of other distillers.

I won a set of movie tickets in a raffel so off the wife and I went to our "local" theater 25 miles away. Of course, this had to be followed up with 4 hours of shopping. At least I got a bottle of Blanton's out of the ordeal :) Eventually we arrived home and I went out on the deck with nice splash of Glenfiddich to enjoy the 65 degree weather before the sun went down.

Glenfiddich makes a number of versions of their scotch with different ages, proofs and finishes. The 12 yo is currently the youngest of the lineup. Many years ago Glenfiddich didn't put an age on the whiskey so a bottle like this was most likely only 8-10 years old. (If any one runs across a bottle of the 15 yo 105 proof cask strength, please drop me a line.)

Glenfiddich is a very light amber colored whisky that noses fresh, fruity and sweet with just a hint of peat in the back. This is backed up upon tasting where a smooth wet mix of apples and toffee is tickled by a bit of smoke on the back of the tongue. At only 80 proof there is very little alcohol bite which helps the finish last for some time without becoming flat.

Glenfiddich is almost a perfect starter into the world of Single Malts. Not too strong, not too sweet, not too peaty but with enough going on to make you come back for more. Any collection should have a bottle included. :thumbs:

Thanks for another excellent review. I agree this is a very nice Scotch :thumbs:

Hey you should put all your reviews together on a site. I like reading them because the are simple and to the point.

ads

Ads47,

Glad you like them. All my reviews are on a site......this one :D If you want to see everything I have reviewed I track that in this post. That has all of the Scotch and American Whiskey reviews I've done. I update it after every review.

I bought a bottle of the Glenfiddich 12 about a year ago while on vacation after falling in love with the other Glen. I suppose the prefix in the name sold me. I am still new to the Single Malt scene.

I could not drink the Glenfiddich. To me... it was realy bad. Very strong. It is my understanding that the Highland Scotches are stronger. The Glenlivet is not a highland scotch. It is weird how two people taste things differently. You said it was a beginners Single Malt. I would have never said that! LOL :p I would've suggested the Glenlivet 12. The price is the same.

I was gifted a bottle of Bowmore 12 late last year. It is very peaty. They should call it PeteMore! ;)

I sent both bottles to our friend here in Guyana. Wonder where he is? He loves scotch. I love to hear him talk about scotches. :thumbs:

Maybe I'm should stick to the blends. I absolutely love the Chivas Regal 12. It's a blend and the same price as the others just mentioned. You should try some.
chivas12.jpg

SDstack,

I reviewed the Chivas Regal 18 just last week. The link is here.

I reviewed the Glenlivet 12 yo a while back. That link is here. :) Glenlivet is a highland scotch made not too far from Glenfiddich in the Speyside District

Thanks again for the reveiws! I like reading each one.

Glenfiddich could probably spring for corks instead of screw tops don't you think? I heard that some French and CA vinyards are now considering screw tops for some of the good wines, not just the boxed stuff either. I would hate to be the guy who pulls the trigger on that one for the first time.

Corks are traditional but in reality, screw tops do have a better seal. Still, I do get the feeling something it cheapened with a screw top.

I just had to post on this realy quick that I just bought a bottle of this last night and it is awesome. Each time I buy a new scotch, it becomes my favorite. This one is my new favorite.

For some reason, this is the only single malt that I've tried that I can not stand. I think it tastes just plain nasty. Wish I could figure out why. Most people I know like it.

Doc.

this is one of my favs....as a novice scotch drinker, i have to agree with AVB...good balance of flavors and strength.

This is my first taste of single malt which got me hooked.Picked up a bottle on sale for the holidays. Love this brand! Thanks for the review AVB!
:thumbs:

AVB I have read the term peat in your reviews and wondered what it means. Could you explain please?

The malt in some distilleries is dried by burning peat. The smoke of this burning plant matter infuses with the malt and is retained in large part even after the distilling process. This gives the smokey flavor that many whiskies have especially Islay whiskies which are usually made with the most peat flavoring but others can and have been made that way too. For more in depth info on peat itself you can wiki it.

Glenfiddich 12 yo Single Malt Scotch, presentation tube packaging, 750ml, 80 proof, screw top, about $30-35.

Glenfiddich%2012%20Special%20Reserve.JPG

When it is said you can't go wrong with one of the two "Glens" this is one of those two. Glenfiddich is the largest selling single malt in the world with almost 1 in 4 bottles sold being one of their's. Still owned by the original founding family Glenfiddich is a classic Scotch that is one of the standards for 12 year old whisky. It was the first to introduce the triangular bottle--in 1957, now known the wold over. It was also the first to use cardboard tubes and gift tins and customize its advertising to specific international markets. Such marketing adventures have paid off for Glenfiddich and have been copied by untold numbers of other distillers.

I won a set of movie tickets in a raffel so off the wife and I went to our "local" theater 25 miles away. Of course, this had to be followed up with 4 hours of shopping. At least I got a bottle of Blanton's out of the ordeal :) Eventually we arrived home and I went out on the deck with nice splash of Glenfiddich to enjoy the 65 degree weather before the sun went down.

Glenfiddich makes a number of versions of their scotch with different ages, proofs and finishes. The 12 yo is currently the youngest of the lineup. Many years ago Glenfiddich didn't put an age on the whiskey so a bottle like this was most likely only 8-10 years old. (If any one runs across a bottle of the 15 yo 105 proof cask strength, please drop me a line.)

Glenfiddich is a very light amber colored whisky that noses fresh, fruity and sweet with just a hint of peat in the back. This is backed up upon tasting where a smooth wet mix of apples and toffee is tickled by a bit of smoke on the back of the tongue. At only 80 proof there is very little alcohol bite which helps the finish last for some time without becoming flat.

Glenfiddich is almost a perfect starter into the world of Single Malts. Not too strong, not too sweet, not too peaty but with enough going on to make you come back for more. Any collection should have a bottle included. :thumbs:
I love a good scotch, and glenfiddish is definitely is an excelent scotsh for a lazy afternoon, however, nothing beats a stiff scotch such as johnny walker red label.

Thanks AVB!
very rich and valuable information

So besides not being able to spell Glenfiddich, excellent, scotch or Johnnie you prefer a non-premium blend over a single malt? I've heard about people like you but have never actually met one. ;)

I love a good scotch, and glenfiddish [sic] is definitely is an excelent [sic] scotsh [sic] for a lazy afternoon, however, nothing beats a stiff scotch such as johnny [sic] walker red label.

This is my first taste of single malt which got me hooked.Picked up a bottle on sale for the holidays. Love this brand! Thanks for the review AVB!
:thumbs:
yeah, single malt dose that to all of us.

So besides not being able to spell Glenfiddich, excellent, scotch or Johnnie you prefer a non-premium blend over a single malt? I've heard about people like you but have never actually met one.
wink.gif

I love a good scotch, and glenfiddish [sic] is definitely is an excelent [sic] scotsh [sic] for a lazy afternoon, however, nothing beats a stiff scotch such as johnny [sic] walker red label.

Ya you have.
blush.gif

Doc.