• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bunnahabhain Islay Single Malt Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Bunnahabhain 12 yo Islay Malt Scotch, 750ml, Presentation tube, dumpy bottle, 86 proof (some older versions are only 80 proof), about $35-40.

Bunnahabhain%2012.JPG

Bunnahabhain (pronounced Boon-na-ha-venn) is another if the Islay scotches with it's own unique flavoring.

Today was pretty much a dreary day in these parts, light rain, overcast, and the temp only made it to 50. Pretty much like what the Islay Isles are at this time of year. I finally finished my local tax paperwork and sat down to watch my first Arena Football game with a nice dollop of Bunnahabhain. I can say that the AFL (Arena Football League) needs much more then a few ounces of Scotch to be interesting.

Bunnahabhain is the most un-Islay of all the scotches made in the isles. It is very light (for an Islay) and owes much to the water that is used for this. Unlike most of the other Islay distilleries, Bunnahabhain's water is drawn before it has run through the Islay malt. This combined with taking a small cut of the distillation (a cut is a part of the vat, for example a top cut is the lightest of the distilled product) and some unusually short necked stills gives this whisky it's own character. Unlike a number of other distilleries, Bunnahabhain was not built near a town but instead the town formed around the distillery as the years went by.

This whisky is a typical light golden color and noses a bit flowery with a trace of sea mist. The taste is light to medium, very clean with a hint of nuts and malt. The sherry finish with a bit of saltness works much better then it sounds. The finish is medium in length and retains a slight bit of saltiness mixed with herbs.

Although this is only 86 proof I found it seems to come alive with a slight bit of water or an ice cube in the glass. While not my absolute favorite dram it is good for a change of pace and seems to come across as fine desert Scotch or even as one for a pre-meal drink. Definately worth a shot or two to try and see if you like it or not.

Thanks for another great review :thumbs:

I have yet to try this one but will keep my eye open

Great review. I've never even heard of this Scotch. Sounds interesting.

I'll be looking for your review sometime Paul :)

Thanks for all of your reviews, AVB. This looks like an affordable one. Gregor

Ok, will give a brief version of my review, since it will come close to AVB's :)

As AVB mentioned, the water for this distillery rises thru limestome, and piped directly into the distillery, which prevents up it from picking up peat on the way. As an aside, this whiskey is an important part of the Cutty Sark blends.

The color is a nice rich gold in the glass, and the nose is sweet with a wonderful sea air edge. The body is light to medium, and the palate is as AVB said nutty and malty. The finish is very nice, with all the flavors melding together with a delicate touch of the sea at the very end.

Definately a great dram, with, it must be said, a great label :p and very surprising if one expects all Islay malts to be powerfully smoky. This is one that is very often in rotation for me, as it is readily available...and well... pretty damn good :)

Slainte

PaulMac