• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

cigar recommendations

lemonsandpeaches

Hello All,

I was hoping that people could recommend some cigars to me.

The ones I like:
  • Arturo Fuente King B
  • Rocky Patel The Edge Torpedo
  • Padron 4000
  • H Upmann Corona Major
  • Excalibur 1066 Dark Knight

What I hate in a cigar is:
1. harshness - maybe it gets better over time, but the much-praised Oliva V is a bit harsh for me.
2. bad draw - cigar that take a lot of effort to puff are just not fun. The cheaper Romeo Y Julieta's have this problem, I find.
3. blandness - I tend to go for darker cigars because they are more flavorful, though I'm sure there are plenty of good lighter (in color) cigars that are just as good - they're just harder to find.

Any suggestions, guys?

Check out the newbie sampler trade thread. You can tell all of this to an established member here. This is truly the best way to 1. Get your feet wet and learn how things run around here. 2. You can rest assure the sticks you receive will be a great value and a selection that will help you on your journey.

You've smoked some pretty good cigars so far. If money isn't an issue, I would go with A Padron 1964, 1926. Or even an Opus x made by Fuente.

Im not a fan of the 1964's but you may like them, they seem to be too mild for me. But I can still smoke them lol. For stronger and more flavorful smokes go with the 1926 or the opus.

Other mild cigars I like but a little expensive are Ashton Esg's, Ashton Heritage line and there classic line too. For a more stronger Ashton I go with the Vsg's.

@beyond the band: I wouldn't say I'm a complete newbie. I've tried both cheap and more expensive cigars, and I definitely prefer the more full-bodied, complex ones.

@carddoug: Thank you for the recommendations. I wrote them down, and will probably buy a couple. They are a bit on the pricier side, so I also want to mix in some cigars from a class down (maybe $5-7/cigar in a pack). Do you have a favorite cigar in that middle-range that you smoke often? I'm currently researching cigars for my next purchase online, so any recommendations welcome.

I may be imagining it, but I think torpedo-shaped cigars are more pleasant to smoke. Not sure if it has to do with taste, but it is a comfortable shape and burns well. Anybody else find that?

@beyond the band: I wouldn't say I'm a complete newbie. I've tried both cheap and more expensive cigars, and I definitely prefer the more full-bodied, complex ones.

@carddoug: Thank you for the recommendations. I wrote them down, and will probably buy a couple. They are a bit on the pricier side, so I also want to mix in some cigars from a class down (maybe $5-7/cigar in a pack). Do you have a favorite cigar in that middle-range that you smoke often? I'm currently researching cigars for my next purchase online, so any recommendations welcome.

I may be imagining it, but I think torpedo-shaped cigars are more pleasant to smoke. Not sure if it has to do with taste, but it is a comfortable shape and burns well. Anybody else find that?

On a less expensive side, I've always enjoyed arturo Fuente's Cuban Corona, Almost any Padron x000 lol, Ashton aged maduro are ok, My first cigar ever was an Onyx Reserve and I still enjoy them. I think you can get most of them for under 7$ or around. And you're very welcome for the suggestions! I hope I helped.

And yes I would say that the torpedo shape is one of fav's. Probably not the falvor I just enjoy having the option on how large or small I want the mouth side of the cigar. (whatever the name of it may be) lol

For stronger smokes try:

La Flor Dominicana(LFD)
Litto Gomez(LG)
Camacho
Opus xXx (aka Power Ranger)
San Cristobal
Diesel, Unholy Cocktail
Alec Bradley Tempus

The LFD Double ligeros are very nice, particularly the chisel/chiselito.
Most Camachos don't interest me, but a few do. ymmv
The San Cristobals have a touch of spice. Nice and complex.
The Diesels are affordable, and surprisingly smooth.

Keep trying the Oliva V. One of the smoothest, strong cigars I ever smoked.

Smoke slower to attenuate harshness.

Surely others will have different suggestions.

Chemyst :cool:

Fuente Hemingway Series. One of the few non-habanos i like. all are very nice.